Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does a squier with single coils sound louder than my charvels with hot Hums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does a squier with single coils sound louder than my charvels with hot Hums?

I am extremely confused about this and I can't find a logical answer.
    A friend of mine landed me a crappy chinese squier strat because It has the bridge resting on the body and I have to learn new songs in weird tunings and I didn't want to use my floating bridge charvels and block the trems or mess up the set up.

So I plug it in and it has single coils and I am instantly surpised about how much louder it sounds, I switched back and forth with my two charvels and the squier just has more tone, Its way louder and woody. The charvels are quieter more compressed.

My charvels have hot pickups, a super 3 in one and a JB2 in the other.
    The squier has single coils set up far from the strings!

Is it the bridge that's resting on the body?

I remember using a trem stopper and it wasn't such a big difference.

I am pulling my hair, I am about to steal my friends Squier and make it my Number one

The singles may just be wound very hot so they produce a louder, more powerful signal.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I hope that's what it is.

But for now I don't want to put louder pickups, mine are already super hot I guess I'll put a big block, a tremol no, heavier gage strings, it's just so weird that this Squier is the loudest guitar I have ever heard and it has single coils.

I'll pull out the pickguard I have to see whats under the hood.

Comment

Probably ceramic singles on the treble side. super 3 is really boosted in the mids low highs, can be muddy. JB2 is going to sound pretty tame.

Comment

I'd be pulling my hair too. My JB2 in a Charvel sounds pretty fat and powerful.

Comment

Actually, just realized everyone is saying JB2. The model name of a JB is just a JB or SH-4/TB-4 for standard or trembucker spacing, and it has an Alnico 5 magnet.
            If we're all talking about a JB2 (meaning a JB with a swapped Alnico 2 magnet) then that's really going to sound warmer and more tame compared to a regular JB.

Comment

Mine has a swapped A2 Toe.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Mine has a swapped A2 Toe.

Comment

Working...
                X