X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansoor Pro Juggernaut HT6 neck feel?

Hello there guys!

Recently my rig changed quite a bit, I've purchased an Ibanez 8 string,
    and I feel like it's finally time to part with my trusty, beloved 6 string Ibanez and change to another 6 string.
    I've been eyeing with Jacksons for a while now, but in the Soloist and Dinky range just couldn't find the One.
    Then a few weeks back I watched several videos of the Misha Mansoor Juggernaut and realised this guitar could be that.
    I'm interested in the Juggernaut Pro HT6FM in Scarlet Red to be more specific.
    It just seems like the perfect 6 string for me: thin arched basswood body, fixed bridge, good passive PUs with split positions, nice aesthetics.

There's one major hurdle though, that's what I'd like to ask for your help with.
    In my country I haven't found a single sorry guitar shop yet that has them in stock,
    and so far I haven't managed to try the most important feature for me: the neck of the guitar.

My question would be:
    what is the shape of the neck like on these guitars?
    Also interested in the neck thickness, Jackson doesn't list any data on this.
    Does the Juggernaut have a flat back and D-profile like the Dinkies/bolt-on Ibanez guitars,
    or something similar to the gentle oval shape the Soloists have?

Just to give you guys some reference points which shapes I prefer:
    concerning Jacksons, I've tried import Dinkies, Monarkhs and Soloists recently, and by far my favourite was the Dinky with the very thin,
    D-profile and flat back neck. The latter is extremely important for me for some reason, I just love that feel, contrary to a lot of people.
    I love most bolt-on Ibanez necks too, because they also have that flat back, thin D-shape neck.

What I absolutely hate are LTD stlye C-necks with that round feel, regardless of thin or thick profile.
    I hate PRS necks too. (Lord have mercy.)
    My neck-through Ibanez has the same C-profile (unlike bolt-on Ibanez instruments), and that's the only thing I hate on the guitar.
    That's why I want to sell it.

I wouldn't dare buy a Juggernaut without knowing anything about the neck profile, so I'd much appreciate any help with this topic.
    Thanks in advance, gentlemen!

Is it possible to order from a vendor who does free returns after a trial period?

Just speculating here because I have played neither an Ibanez RGA121 nor any of Misha Mansoor's signature Jacksons, but Misha was an RGA121 player and he likely borrowed heavily from the design (including neck shape) for his Juggernauts. If you're comfortable playing RG-style guitars, it's a good bet you would find a familiar feel in the Juggernaut.

Comment

I have the Indonesian made Jackson Mansoor Pro HT6 made in 2016 in the satin gray finish purchased for $612 due to a very small ding in the front near the pickup switch blade (very nice guitar, I like it a lot)
      Neck width: (measured with standard 6" digital calipers)
      1st fret - 1.769" (45.23mm)
      7th fret - 1.915" (48.63mm)
      12th fret - 2.037" (51.71mm)
      15th fret - 2.1" (53.27mm)
      24th fret - 2.248" (57.3mm)

Neck thickness: (measured with 'long reach' 6" digital calipers (also known as 'brake rotor' calipers))
      Between nut & 1st fret: 0.802" (20.45mm)
      Between 2nd & 3rd fret - 0.802" (20.45mm)
      Between 4th & 5th fret - 0.812" (20.63mm)
      Between 6th & 7th fret - 0.820" (20.83mm)
      Between 8th & 9th fret - 0.832" (21.12mm)
      Between 11th & 12th fret - 0.843" (21.41mm)
      Between 15th & 16th fret - 848" (21.53mm)
      (any higher than this, the neck starts getting thicker to mate with the body heel).

It is definitely a "D" shape, and it is a 'flattened' D with a little more 'roundness' 1st thru 5th frets and then starts getting flatter up the neck as the neck gets wider. I have many Ibanez guitars and the neck shape is similar, and I also have a few '90's Japan Jackson Dinkys with the similar thin/flat D shape, and to me the HT6 is similar in feel. (and I have several Jackson Soloists with the more 'gentle oval' shape you mention, and the HT6 does not feel like those).

From what you described, it appears to me that the HT6 would work for you. As NOTP mentions, it would be ideal if you ordered from a shop that could offer return.

Comment

Thomann has 30 day return policy. They also have HT6 in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
          I have the Indonesian made Jackson Mansoor Pro HT6
          This is just an aside, but thanks for bringing this up. I remember seeing an HT6 in a local store a few months ago and I picked it up to inspect it (but did not play it). I noticed that it was made in Indonesia, despite being a bolt-neck Jackson. The general rule for the current Pro and X Series (not the JS Series) was that Mexico's Fender factory made bolt-neck guitars for Jackson, while Indonesia's Cort factory made neckthrus; prior to seeing that HT6, I don't think I recalled seeing any other exceptions to the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            This is just an aside, but thanks for bringing this up. I remember seeing an HT6 in a local store a few months ago and I picked it up to inspect it (but did not play it). I noticed that it was made in Indonesia, despite being a bolt-neck Jackson. The general rule for the current Pro and X Series (not the JS Series) was that Mexico's Fender factory made bolt-neck guitars for Jackson, while Indonesia's Cort factory made neckthrus; prior to seeing that HT6, I don't think I recalled seeing any other exceptions to the rule.
            My thoughts on this are the "premium" features it comes with. Ebony fretboard with straight 16" radius, special design pickups and I might be grasping at straws but the truss wheel being at the heel? But otherwise, I felt the same way: confused.

Comment

Thank you for your help, guys! Especially MountainDog, thanks a bunch for the detailed measurements!
              Can't wish for a more detailed description.

Judging by the dimensions, it looks like a relatively chunky neck! Basically 1-1.5mm thicker than a regular bolt-on Wizard II-III neck.
              While it sounds like a tiny difference, in my experience it matters a lot with guitar necks.
              The D-shape sounds good, but the thickness is a bit of a turn-down for me, as I have tiny hands and I like thin necks.
              I didn't think the Juggernaut would have this almost Fender-like thickness. I'd really have to try this out.

Thought about the return policy purchase, I just really don't want the hassle it comes with.
              It's a lot better trying something out IRL before a potencial purchase.

Comment

Working...
              X