Favorite pickup in a soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite pickup in a soloist

I love the TB4 JB in the bridge of a soloist. I just seems to make sense since this pickup is great at soloing.

But I've got three now and looking for something different. I'm leaning the SD Custom family, TB-5 currently what I'm thinking. I have the Custom Custom in another axe and love it. I think I also have a Custom 5 in another and like how it sounds.

I don't like all my axes sounding the same, so open for what you have used that works great in a soloist. Other neck thrus invited as well, but please note when this isn't a ebony fretboard.

Also thinking a Super Distortion. I'm a classic metal to thrash metal kinda guy.

Thanks.

BTW, what about an Invader?
    Last edited by DonP; 12-16-2018, 10:00 AM.

I'd go with a TB-5. I have that in one of my soloists as well as my RR-1. Sounds awesome in both!

Comment

I have all the main SD pickups in my guitars
      TB4, TB5, TB6, Custom Custom and others, but I've not tried the last ones that came out recently (Black Winter and Nazgul)

What can I say...as always, a certain type of sound it's not just a matter of a pickup, but it's a combination of various things....pickup, amplification, pedals...you should try more than one to have the perfect choice.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      TB-5 currently what I'm thinking. I have the Custom Custom in another axe and love it. I think I also have a Custom 5 in another and like how it sounds.
      Attention!
      The TB5 in my opinion (if you are a classic/thrash metal player) could be a good choice, but don't compare it with the Custom Custom TB11, because they're two different things
      The TB11 is an AlNiCo 2, bright sounding-medium output
      The TB5 is a ceramic, seems to have a bit more output (in terms of volume) and for sure has a more full bodied sound
      I prefer the TB5 instead the TB4.

Attention again I wouldn't go wrong, but I think the Invader it's not available in trembucker version

If you like the sound of eighties thrash I'd suggest to consider also the ceramic TB6
      What p.u. do you have in the neck??

Comment

Try the SH-5. I like the Super Distortion as well or an EMG 85b.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

EMG 85 for me. Or a TB4. Alnico, not ceramic..
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I am a big fan of the SD Black Winter. I have one in my soloist and really like it.

Comment

I dig the JB, the Custom-Custom and the Custom 5 in the bridge of a Soloist.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Just wondering is anyone tried an X2N? I just picked up a SoCal with one in the bridge and it is pretty nice.

Comment

Just wondering is anyone tried an X2N? I just picked up a SoCal with one in the bridge and it is pretty nice.
                  No, I haven't and I've been meaning to get one for sometime now and keep putting it off because all this other stuff I want first... they're not expensive...Chuck Schuldiner (Death, Control Denied) used that pickup. I really need to get on it though, I acquired one of those Marshall 8100 100V heads.
                  Last edited by Jackson8090s; 12-23-2018, 08:26 PM.
                  \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I put a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver in mine. Seems good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
                      Attention!
                      The TB5 in my opinion (if you are a classic/thrash metal player) could be a good choice, but don't compare it with the Custom Custom TB11, because they're two different things
                      The TB11 is an AlNiCo 2, bright sounding-medium output
                      The TB5 is a ceramic, seems to have a bit more output (in terms of volume) and for sure has a more full bodied sound
                      All of the Custom series are about the same amount of high output (though, lower than a JB). The Custom Custom is not bright; it's got the least amount of treble. And an A2 magnet usually makes things warmer (a little spongy with loose bass). An A5 or ceramic magnet makes things brighter. The Custom is brighter, but well rounded in all frequencies, and the Custom 5 is also on the bright side with full bass and pretty scooped mids.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Also thinking a Super Distortion. I'm a classic metal to thrash metal kinda guy.

Thanks.
                        A Super Distortion is pretty good in just about anything. If you want brighter, a Super 2. If you want warmer with more mids and bass, Super 3.

The Invader is pretty decent, too. It's got a lot of bass and mids and is fairly warm with a good bite.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X