Charvel/Jackson bridges and history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel/Jackson bridges and history

I've been reading lots and jotting things down for the wiki a lot lately and I'm curious after recently seeing an 87 Model 1 for sale which I posted in the Efraid of Ebay section.

The 87 model 1 I posted has the Fort Worth TX neckplate and the Charvel by Jackson/Charvel headstock which both signify it is a Japanese model and so must be post 1986. He claims it's all original but it has the vintage Fender 6 screw style tremolo bridge where as other sources claim that by this time they would have had Khaler fulcrum 2 bolt tremolos on them.

Any clarification would be great as I'll ne adding all relevant info to the wiki.
    Thanks!

But it also has a

I thought the Model 2 had the Kahler fulcrum and then the JT6. The Model 1 always had the vintage trem.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah this I didn't know, the current wikipedia page noted that the Model 1 would have had the Khaler but they very well could be wrong as well.
      Thanks Toejam, I'll make a not of that regarding the Model 1.

Does anyone know when abouts the original Charvels if ever would have had a JT6 or Khaler system? The pre 87 American ones that is. Were they standard or if available would it have been an option?

Comment

The model series from Japan started in 86. All 86 guitars from that era had Kahler trems (model 2 and 3 had the 2 point fulcrum) except the model 1, which as toejam stated has always had a vintage strat style trem. Model 4 5 and 6 guitars all had top mounted kahler trems.

87 was when the JT6 was introduced to the model series.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavymetal2000 View Post
          Does anyone know when abouts the original Charvels if ever would have had a JT6 or Khaler system? The pre 87 American ones that is. Were they standard or if available would it have been an option?
          I believe for American ones (Charvels) you are talking pre-1986. They didn't have the JT6 before 1987 so that would be a no. USA Charvels came with any trem available at the time depending on what the person ordered. Some with Kahlers, some with OFR's (the buyer had to supply the OFR), and v-trems, usually the brass ones. Fixed brass bridges as well.

Comment

If it helps, the 6-screw vintage trems on the Model 1 (and its variants) were made by Gotoh (Japanese company). I have a Model 1C and that's the trem on it.

I didn't know you were still writing for the Wikia! As soon as you shared that GuitarInside website with me, I abandoned any idea of "reinventing the wheel". Mostly I was looking for a new/reliable/centralized database of models and their specs to help with identification purposes, which Henrik's site and AlienXnation's site both did well, but clearly you are going above and beyond that!

Comment

Yup, that guitarinside site is pretty great as a resource I agree.

I just still feel like more can be consolidated in the wiki whilst touching on everything charvel and Jackson.
              I dont edit every day and it's a mess still atm but I'd like to keep plugging away when I have time.

Thank you all for the information regarding the trem systems for the different years and models on Charvels, I'll be getting it on the wiki.

Comment

Working...
              X