common problem...too many guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common problem...too many guitars.

So I really need to thin my herd out a little bit and i am torn over one guitar in particular. Its a 1987 Charvel model 5, I haven't owned it all that long and it was a total basket case when I got it. I've been getting it all straightened out and its a real player now. So i'm torn on what to do with it, on one hand I love 80's era guitars, my main player is an 87 Charvel model 2. This model 5 plays and feels great but i'm not super happy with how it sounds (and it may still be having some issues with the boost) so if i kept it I would probably yank out all the electronics and put different pickups in it. But I almost hate to do that to such a classic. The guitar has some bumps and bruises for sure so I don't think it would fetch a super high price, and I dont want to devalue it anymore by taking the factory setup out of it. I'm not typically one to keep stuff around that I dont use. what to do what to do.....

Nothing wrong with swapping electronics and pickups. Just hold on to that stuff for if you ever do decide to sell the Model 5 with the original accompanying electronics suite.

Long ago I swapped the stock brass block on my Original Floyd Rose for an aftermarket big brass block, and I still have the original block (in case I ever "want to restore the guitar back to factory spec and sell it") even though I have no use for it in other guitars (it's 42mm and all my other guitars need 32mm blocks).

Comment

Give someone a deal on it that will appreciate it.
      The sad truth is...guitars are exceptionally hard to sell these days unless you offer them at a price few can refuse.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        Give someone a deal on it that will appreciate it.
        The sad truth is...guitars are exceptionally hard to sell these days unless you offer them at a price few can refuse.
        This is definitely the sad truth! probably why I have so many guitars....i hate "giving them away"

Comment

Here is my model 2 along with the model 5 in question.

Comment

Have you dicked around with the pickup height much? That's probably a J80C which is a killer Jackson pup!

Comment

Yeah it's the j80c I've been playing with height. Something about it just has a weird twang to it on the low e string almost like a telecaster. I replaced all the pots with 50k audio taper pots and I'm wondering if they are causing issues. Because even with the volume all the way down it still let's some sound out.

Comment

Damn that’s a beauty! Send it to me and I’ll try out a J90c and see if it sounds better.

Comment

I'm not sure how skilled you are at setups but if it's just a weird low E there could be some saddle burrs or fret issues robbing the tone, or the action is just too low.

Comment

I will say the J80C does not have the low end chunk like a J90C, it's more of a midrangey vibe. But it still sounds great in every register.

Comment

I used a J80C when I put a Model 6 back together and it sounds very good with or without the boost.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I used a J80C when I put a Model 6 back together and it sounds very good with or without the boost.
                        Yeah. I appreciate that thought. I'm pretty fluent in setup this is definitely a tonal issue not an interference problem. It might not be just the low e but that is where it is most pronounced.

Comment

Working...
                        X