Mid level line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid level line

Do you think that Jackson might get more fans if they introduced a mid-level American made line?

I mean kind of like the American Standard Strat/Teles in the Fender brand.
    Perhaps a Maple/ebony boarded bolt-on with H/S/H config,in house pickups,OFR, No Graphics, 3 or 4 stock colors and a price new of about $700.00?

I mean I love my SL1 but if I had not found you guys I would have never taken a over $1000.00 chance on a guitar.

What do you think?
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Mid level line

Best bet for that money is to go for a used USA model - even with wear, they're still the best bang for the bennies [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree, but from a business standpoint Jackson would rather have us buying new guitars.
      So, how do they go about parting us from our cash?
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

By making the highest-quality imports - Jackson is the only company (as far as I'm aware) that puts more into the wood and construction of their imports than the hardware/pickups, which means you can easily swap the less-expensive components for high-grade stuff and have a near-USA-quality guitar, whereas other companies, from what I've seen, may use a high-cost trem or other hardware and skimp on the wood or build quality.
        Still others skimp all the way around and spend the big bucks on a pretty photo-flame top.

Since Fender uses lots of automation, they can easily churn out tons of $500+ USA Strats, but Jackson is still a small shop that uses less automation.
        Though with the noticeable quality decline in recent years in USA Jacksons, maybe Fender-style automation won't be a bad idea - maybe they'd have/take more time to correct the errors that folks have reported.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd think a mid-level USA line would take sales away from the top line, much like what happened with the MIJ PRO series in the early 90s.

[ October 28, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: RacerX ]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, there *was* a mid-level USA line, the xx2 series. I own an RR2 and DR2, and a couple of folks here own(ed) an SL2. Very nice guitars for the money, but considering that they were only around for a couple of years, I wonder if they really sold very well. They lacked the flashy finishes, binding, sharkfin inlays and OFR or Schaller trems. That doesn't bother me at all, because I got mine NOS for less than new import prices, but some people would not be impressed.

I'm surprised that there haven't been any new bolt-on USA models. It seems to me that a stripped down Dinky could squeeze in under $1000, maybe closer to the $800 mark. Limit the finish options, use less expensive pickups (DiMarzio prices are often lower than Duncans), basically scale down the features so that they are worth of that "Made in USA" logo but maybe will be easier to justify for the player on a tighter budget. Remember guys, buying new is important to many people for the warranty, prospect of better service from the dealer, that sort of thing.
            sigpic

Comment

Or hows about a fusion again. They can have a JT580LP and a reissued J90C with a choice of maple or rosewood fingerboard with a reversed head and pirana inlay. And maybe 2 new colors like, sunset orange or bring back metallic black. Just a thought. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
              A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

The big problem might be manufacturing capacity. They have had a difficult time producing even a relatively small number of guitars in a decent amount of time--looking at the *****ing about wait times for custom guitars. Fender would have to dramatically invest in increased capacity for Jackson to be able to come out with a mid-priced USA line.

Sounds like a good idea, though. I like the idea of a mid-priced Dinky with ebony board, dots (no plastic shark fins!), and JT-580 for about $700.

Comment

It is getting harder to find new American Standards for less than $800 now (last I knew list was around $1200). To get into the $500 range on a new Fender, you will have to go with the Highway 1, which is a hybrid of USA and Mexico manufacturing, which is how they lowered the cost. I don't care for the quality of the Highway 1 series, so I don't know if I would like to see a similar line with the Jackson name on them.

[ October 29, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Jim,
                    Last time I checked I can get a American Standard Strat in a solid color for about $750.00 in MA.

As for the H1, I bought a H1 Tele for a project I have in mind. I want to Yngwie it seeing as he does not use the middle pickup anyway.
                    The hardware really is poor, but the wood is good and light.

Comment

IMHO A mid level would be a good place to put some USA Charvel pointy heads.

Nothing but a stripped down rock n roll guitar.

Strat body
                      Flat finishes
                      Limited color choices, black, white, blue, red
                      2 models H/H H/S/S
                      No fancy inlays, bindings, or wood
                      Rosewood or maple boards

Price around $800

With the Strat body I dont think it will take anythng from Jackson USA sales.

[ October 30, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                        IMHO A mid level would be a good place to put some USA Charvel pointy heads.

Nothing but a stripped down rock n roll guitar.

Flat finishes
                        Limited color choices, black, white, blue, red
                        2 models H/H H/S/S
                        No fancy inlays, bindings, or wood
                        Rosewood or maple boards

Price around $800
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm cool with that but would probably say H/S/H.

Comment

I didn't say it was impossible, just harder to find these days. I can get them at cost and after freight, I would have to pay around $600. Dealers that are only marking them up $100-150 are what are hard to find. However, if you catch a dealer who needs to move some to meet their minimum requirements, you can probably score one for a few bucks over cost.

Comment

Working...
                          X