Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantages of "behind the nut" locking nuts (like on a JT6 equipped Jackson/Charvel)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will not praise or berate any of them, as I have had both good and bad of each.

However, my favorite guitar is a JT-6 with behind the nut lock. No tuning problems whatsoever. It has the big giant single slotted screw (seen here) , not the flat headed hex shaped lock pictured by the op.
    Those hex shaped locks give me problems more than just tuning. But (old age memory) I believe that I have only ever had them with Kahler on rollers. My knife edged Kahler did not have them, and it did not give me problems. I've had Kahler on rollers with other style locks, and I didn't have problems with them.

From personal experience...
    A Jackson with reverse headstock works best with a separate lock and nut. I find that the angle of the strings (specifically the high or low E depending on if you wind the strings over or under) is too sharp and will slide off a floyd nut if not locked.
    Of course, why wouldn't you lock it? But the string pulls out prior to being locked. That is a problem.

Comment

I had a JT6 stringlock that seemed to pull the guitar ever so slightly out of tune. Not drastically, just a few cents. The trem was near mint. It all seemed solid and passed the "press behind the nut" test. But the issue persisted. I eventually had it replaced with a locknut and it resolved the issue completely.

Comment

wow, i have never heard of that before. what is your experience like? do you like it better/worse compared to a regular FR? how about tuning stability? (sorry I had to ask!)
        Please visit my all metal youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/helmoftheantilemon/videos

Comment

Working...
        X