Need Charvel ID please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Charvel ID please

I recently acquired a nice Red Charvel set neck, 2 hums, Kahler trem and 24 fret guitar. I love it and the serial number is C703061. Can anyone tell me about when and where it's from. BTW, are there active electronics here also ? I think so. Thanks to all. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Need Charvel ID please

Yes, that is an '87 Japanese Charvel Model 5. It had the JE1200 electronics in it which has the built in preamp mounted on the volume control. The pickups are passive.

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Got any pics?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

Comment

Well, the "C7" at the start of the serial No means that it was made in 1987, and it'll be a neck-through rather than a set-neck. It's one of the model series, at a guess a Model 5.

Maple through neck with poplar "wings" to make up the body shape, "guitar" shaped Charvel logo and a Jackson JT6 Floyd Rose licensed whammy bar.

In the model series there were only two with non bolt-on necks. The Model 5 (with all it's variants, 5A [single 'bucker], 5M [5A with a single coil sized humbucker at the neck] and a 5DR [5M with reversed headstock]) and the Model 6 (H-S-S, active electronics, sharkfin inlays. Wish I could stumble across one).

Cheers - Steve
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK:
          Well, the "C7" at the start of the serial No means that it was made in 1987, and it'll be a neck-through rather than a set-neck. It's one of the model series, at a guess a Model 5.

Maple through neck with poplar "wings" to make up the body shape, "guitar" shaped Charvel logo and a Jackson JT6 Floyd Rose licensed whammy bar.

In the model series there were only two with non bolt-on necks. The Model 5 (with all it's variants, 5A [single 'bucker], 5M [5A with a single coil sized humbucker at the neck] and a 5DR [5M with reversed headstock]) and the Model 6 (H-S-S, active electronics, sharkfin inlays. Wish I could stumble across one).

Cheers - Steve
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The model 5s and 6s also came with Kahler Pros.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

With the Kahler that would be 86' right?!

Comment

I'm thinking yes. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on being able to discern a year of origin from the serial number. But I'm not the king/lord/god of all Charvel knowledge. I just haven't been convinced that there's a fool-proof system to it.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Now wait a minute, I have had numerous people here tell me that when the serial number starts with C7, it an 87. You guys better get your info straight on this board if you want me to help out the newbees!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
                Dave ->

Comment

Thanks for the info ? No, really I don't want to see you guys argue about this stuff. I'd post pics if I knew how. I can e-mail them to whoever would like to see. BTW, how do you guys get that animated Avitar image up there ?
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                    I'm thinking yes. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on being able to discern a year of origin from the serial number. But I'm not the king/lord/god of all Charvel knowledge. I just haven't been convinced that there's a fool-proof system to it.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With the neckthrus I'd say the Cx number is pretty fool proof.

And so far the #'s for the bolt on imports get you in the range. But I still need to find some original owners who know when they got the guitar to figure out the cutting off point between years when the models didn't change, 87-88 for example. But my database is still growing. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

In the model series there were only two with non bolt-on necks. The Model 5 (with all it's variants, 5A [single 'bucker], 5M [5A with a single coil sized humbucker at the neck] and a 5DR [5M with reversed headstock])...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought the 5A with the slant single at the neck was called a Model 5FX?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                        I thought the 5A with the slant single at the neck was called a Model 5FX?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right there. The 'M' suffix was used to denote the maple fretboard option in the Model series. According to received wisdom, the 5FX was a Model 5A modified by Jackson/Charvel in the USA because they were'nt selling so well!

Serves me right for posting near to midnight...

Cheers - Steve

[ November 08, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: SteveK ]
                        Model 3
                        Model 5A
                        Model 3B
                        Journeyman
                        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

I guess I get mixed signals on the serial number issue. I do have to admit, I don't own any neck-thrus nor do I really focus much on the year exact year.

And Steve... It's ok to post after midnight, but don't eat after midnight and don't EVER get wet... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

with all it's variants
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">all excellent info except for that apostrophe! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

man, you just dug up a topic of a month old in your quest for correct spelling. start practising guitar or something like that, man [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

Working...
                              X