Is this something to get? Japanese Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this something to get? Japanese Soloist

I'm about to buy my first Jackson guitar, and I found a Japanese Soloist for sale. Is this guitar something to get? The ad says Japanese Soloist, bolt on neck, hardcase included. The price is 5000 SEK, and that is approx $500
    Does anyone know anything about this guitar and if it's good or not? Whats good and whats bad about it?
    Thanks!

Re: Is this something to get? Japanese Soloist

Here's a link if the picture didn't work:
    http://www.vendolin.se/vendolinbilder/49243.bild

Comment

"Forbidden"
      Try try again.

Comment

I looked it up on vendolin, and that's not a soloist. Later in the ad he says it has a bolt-on neck - thus it's a dinky.

Nice looking though. HSH config (Duncans), quilt top sun burst w matching headstock.

http://www.vendolin.se/annons.php?49243

'bane

Comment

So...it's not a soloist
          Is it worth $500?

Comment

DK3, I think. It's worth whatever you're willing to pay. If it's in minet to near mint condition, I'd say $500 was on the high side, but within normal range. If it's got visible chips/dings/dents/scratches, I'd offer them $350-$400 with the case.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

^Okok, thanks!
              I've just emailed the guy and asked what year it is and if it's modded etc

Is a Charvel Mod 5 for $390 a better deal?
              I've also found a Jackson Fusion Plus for $400

Comment

Charvel Model 5 is about the same quality as an import Jackson Soloist (neckthrough, etc).
                I'd guess $390 was good for the quality that it is, but current Ebay prices run more along $350 tops for the same guitar in great shape with hard case.

The Fusion Plus is a short-scale (24 3/4") and those are not as widespread in the available market, so it's hard to get a feel for what is a good price and what's not. Some days they might sell for a bunch, other days they can't give them away.
                It's really all up to you - if you think it's worth that much, then go for it. I've bought guitars that had higher price tags compared to similar models that had been sold previously, but it was worth it to me.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Okok thanks alot Newc [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Unfortunaly the Jackson guitars are alot more expensive in Sweden than it is in US

Comment

The guy replied to my mail and said that Jackson made Soloist's with bolt on necks in the mid-90's. (Professional series Soloist)
                    Is this true?

It looks very nice. Here's a link
                    http://www.marbellx.com/vendolin/tama.htm

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

The guy is wrong. Soloist=neckthru, Dinky=bolt-on neck--it's that simple.

That looks to be a mid-'90s Dinky Professional. A nice guitar, to be sure, but not really a top of the line Japanese Jackson, more of a mid-line guitar. The high-end Japanese Jacksons back then were the neckthru Professionals with ebony fretboards and sharkfin inlays.

Given how much more that guitars seem to cost in Europe, I'd say that $500 is actually a decent deal for that guitar, though I wouldn't pay that much for one over here in the USA--$350 is about top dollar for one of those in the USA if eBay is an accurate indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by Breadfan:
                        ^Okok, thanks!
                        I've just emailed the guy and asked what year it is and if it's modded etc

Is a Charvel Mod 5 for $390 a better deal?
                        I've also found a Jackson Fusion Plus for $400
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">of the guitars mentioned: the dinky, the model 5 and the fusion plus I'd pick the model 5, especially if it has a kahler trem, I don't care for the JT6 installed on the later ones (although they can always be replaced by either a original floyd or a Schaller floyd, which will cost you about 200 euro's, but worth the money) Anyway, you will definately LOVE the neck through design of it: lots of tone, sustain and the playability is better then both the fusion and the dinky, since these have lots of heel.

by the way, the charvel is also japanese made, but the quality those days was almost as high as the US standard (at least that's what I heared, and although I only played a USA soloist once, I still think the quality of the charvel owns almost all guitar available, especially for the money!)

Harald

Comment

^Yeah the Mod 5 had a Kahler
                          Whats the main differense between kahler and floyd? I've only tried floyd and that whas like 2 times lol

I don't think I'll pick the Mod 5 since the guy who sells it says that the frets are kinda worned down. And I'm so f#(ing fed up with fretbuzz. My strat that I have now buzzes like hell. But neckthrough still seems very nice

Is that professional Jackson (the one i linked to) better then todays DK2's? The used price for the Professional is almost the same as the new price for the DK2

Thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree w. Newc that it's a question of what you'd like in a guitar. I would (personally) go with a new DK-2 if I were in your shoes, because I'd know what I'd get - no worn hardware or frets, plus I like plain finishes. You'd probably want to replace the pickups in the DK-2 though, so add that to the cost. However, if the quilt-top, sun-burst, matching headstock deal appeals to you and the guitar is in good shape, I think this is a good deal.

Prices for used Jacksons in Sweden often come very close to those of new guitars. One reason is that they used to be a lot higher and the sellers aren't up to date with the current pricing.

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by Breadfan:
                              ^Yeah the Mod 5 had a Kahler
                              Whats the main differense between kahler and floyd? I've only tried floyd and that whas like 2 times lol

I don't think I'll pick the Mod 5 since the guy who sells it says that the frets are kinda worned down. And I'm so f#(ing fed up with fretbuzz. My strat that I have now buzzes like hell. But neckthrough still seems very nice

Is that professional Jackson (the one i linked to) better then todays DK2's? The used price for the Professional is almost the same as the new price for the DK2

Thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Floyd is the dominant standard, and most players prefer it because it has a sturdier feel and takes more aggressive
                              treatment because it has a heavier bar.
                              Also, parts are more readily available.

Kahler is a great trem though; it will do a great jon when maintaned properly, is more adjustable for height and width of string spacing, and if you break a string during a song the other strings will stay in tune so you can finish. Floyds can't do that. Also you can rest your palm on a Kahler while playing and won't take the guitar out of tune; can't do tha with a Floyd either, without modifying your palm
                              muting technique. Some would say the Floyd forces you to use better technique that way, though. Finally, with Kahlers
                              you can play unison bends, like bending the 7th fret D on your G string up to E while picking the 5th fret E on the B string together - the "Stairway to Heaven" sound - and it'll stay in tune.
                              With a Floyd this isn't possible as the B string will go horribly out of tune.

I wouldn't reject the Model 5 on the basis of the Kahler, but I'd ask more about the frets. Seems you could have the frets dressed (leveled) for about $75
                              which would put you at about the same $, but you'd have a better guitar for that money. The Model 5 and 6 guitars are definitely on par with the early 90s high
                              end Jackson professionals, which in turn were on par with the USA models; that's why they cut the quality a bit on the Japan line, not to kill USA sales.

If the frets are completely worn, then maybe not the Model 5, but try to get some closeup pics of the frets. If it looks like there's still a lot of meat to
                              them, they can be dressed and will be good for years.

Tell us more about the Fusion - pickup config, binding, fins or dots, etc....
                              They made many different Fusions, some Jacksons, some Charvels.

Happy shopping, anyway!

Rich
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X