Is this something to get? Japanese Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this something to get? Japanese Soloist

Thanks lerxstcat fo writing such a long reply [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not that keen on spending extra cash to deal with those frets. I rather buy some other guitar that doesn't require repairs etc. That Professional Dinky or Soloist was mint and had no fret wear. And it looks pretty sweet I must say [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for that fusion... Made in '92, H/H config, dots
    What did you mean by 'Binding'?
    Here's a link: http://www.vendolin.se/annons.php?37090
    But then again, some guy told me it was 3/4 size, and I don't want that

I haven't decided what guitar to buy yet...still searching around the Swedish guitar sites

Comment

Binding is the white or cream-colored strips of plasitc that are on the edges of the fretboard and headstock on higher
      end Jacksons (well, even the DK-2 has neck binding, so not only high-end).
      Mostly if it has sharkfins it will also have binding, though some low end India
      guitars had fins without binding.

By 3/4" size he means the Fusion has a shorter scale length, 24.75", as opposed
      to the 25.5" scale length of Dinky and Soloists. It's only .75" difference, not
      smething you'd notice visually except if you knew Fusions are short-scale. Some
      people use both scale lengths equally easily (like me), but some with small hands prefer the 24.75" scale, while those with big hands feel cramped by it and need 25.5" for comfort.

That Dinky IS nice; if you want it, I'm sure you'd be happy if it's as clean as it looks. It is NOT a Soloist no matter what the seller says; there is NO SUCH THING as a bolt-neck Soloist from Jackson. Confusion stems from the fact that Warmoth calls their bolt on "Dinky"
      bodies "Soloist" bodies. I would go check out a DK-2 just to see what you think though; I have 2 and like them quite a lot.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ah, I see. I thought the 3/4 size was a midget guitar or something [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The seller says this (translated from swedish):
        "It's a japanese soloist, they were made in early 90's to mid 90's with bolt on neck.....
        Jackson isn't very good at giving info about their Japan made guitars"

"During these years, you could buy soloist's with bolt on neck (even the US made)"
        And he claims that he have seen several guitars of this type

Wierd.

Comment

He is either misinformed or straight-out
          lying, but either way he is wrong. The bolt-neck Jackson 25.5" scale 7/8 Superstrat is the Dinky. The neckthrough 7/8 Jackson 25.5" scale Superstrat is the Soloist. Period. Both bodies are 7/8 the size of a standard Strat body.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
            (well, even the DK-2 has neck binding, so not only high-end).
            Mostly if it has sharkfins it will also have binding, though some low end India
            guitars had fins without binding.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There have been some Japanese made Dinkies with sharkfins and no binding. I had a candy apple green Professional Dinky Reverse that had reverse sharks... I sold it to Word.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

awwww, look at that Fusion Plus. It's nicer than mine. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, but why lie about that?
                How do I tell this guy he's wrong without sounding like a smartass?

Comment

It's going to be tough. Ignorant people - for some odd reason - don't like to be corrected. Surely guitar fans with even a slight knowledge of Jacksons will know the Soloist = neckthrough rule. Then again, it does confuse certain people because the body shape is the same (or very similar). Even now, I am campaigning at my GC to get the tag that is attached to a barely-used DX10D (Japanese Dinky) to get corrected. Of course, the tag reads "Jackson Soloist $349" [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  It is an uphill battle! Nobody seems to care; nobody wants to change it. [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A few corrections:
                    There is no tonal or playability difference between a bolt-on and a neckthrough. If the heel is in your way, you need to work on your technique.

The Kahler and Floyd differences do not require "better" technique, but "different" technique.

There is no such thing as a bolt-on Soloist - it is a Dinky. The bodies are identical in all dimensions, with only the construction method as the difference between the two.
                    Send the guy here to get his much-needed education about Jackson.

I'd go with the first pic you posted - the flametop Dinky. It's got more tonal variety than the others mentioned due to the H-s-H pickup layout, and it's in better shape.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Does the Dinky Pro above have a "gravure" top? I was under the impression that one or two Dinky models in the mid-`90s had the photoflame quilt and matching headstock, although I've only seen that in blue, green or purple.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                        A few corrections:

The Kahler and Floyd differences do not require "better" technique, but "different" technique.

Newc
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Letting go of the deathgrip on the bridge
                        enabled me to greatly improve my alternate picking technigue. I consider improvement to be better, and that was the context of that statememnt. You do not have to make that improvement in order to play with a Kahler Pro or Flyer. In that regard the Floyd forces you to use a different technique that makes you a better player.

Other than that, most excellent post!

[ November 10, 2003, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think I know how to do... the guy gave me the serial number of it. And by that I can show him that it's a Dinky. I just have to link to a site that shows him that he's wrong. Iam so smart [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The serial# is 700293
                          Where can get Jackson serialnumbers?

Comment

I'm not sure how to track the serial #, but consider: if you prove him wrong, he may get pissed and refuse to sell it to you! It's not as if you're going to talk
                            down the price by it not being a Soloist,
                            as the price is good for your area anyway.

Maybe correcting him after you buy it is a better way to go. Just a thought.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

^Yeah, true
                              I'll talk with my dad and see what he thinks

Anyone knows anything about this guitar?
                              Another one i found while searching the web

Bolt on neck, 22frets
                              The seller says it's US made (texas)
                              He wanted $400-500 for it i think

Sharkfins rule [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

That's either a 375 or 475, I think. It is NOT US-made, it's made in Japan. The misconception is common because the neck plates say "Fort Worth, Texas" but it is definitely a Japan-made guitar. They are fine guitars in their own right, but not US-made.

This is all first-semester history data for Charvel/Jackson aficianados, but it's not surprising the further you get from the source the more corrupt the data gets, even in this Internet Age!

I would get the photoflame Dinky before I'd get the Charvel you just put up. If you want a guitar with sharkfin inlays, then get a new DK-2 as Sunbane suggested. They are really a lot of guitar for the money! Nice
                                24-fret neck with binding, decent if not fantastic pickups and hardware,
                                they're a great value!

Rich

[ November 10, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X