WWYGD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYGD?

What would you guys do? Here's the deal. I have taken ownership of a fine USA SD Rhoads (RR1870) in a royal purple paint, with original Floyd, binding over frets. I affectionately have referred to it as the "Mutant Rhoads." Some dumba$$ knocked off the long wing. It's now a mutant! Plays as good as new, sounds better, but looks...well...down right weird! Should I:

***hire GMW to bring it back to original?
    ***fashion my own wing "onto" it?
    ***leave it as is since it plays/sounds so good?

What would be the approximate cost in adding a wing? What about adding a wing and also repainting the guitar to blend? Just curious, what would you guys do?...

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Re: WWYGD?

If it would cost a lot to bring it back to original specs (and I'm guessing it would--lots of custom work there), I'd just leave it the way it is.

One other alternative: shave down the 'big wing' further so that it matches the smaller wing, and you've got yourself a very unique "Mini-King V".

Comment

Ah, yes, the so called "Dinky" King V. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I would repair it. How hard could it be to add the missing piece. Then get the whole guitar repainted. If you were to do a blend it would be a good idea to add graphics to mask the blend.

Comment

I'd say fix it, because there's too much work and $$ involved in converting it to a Dinky V or XTRR body. The inside angles are slightly different which means to get them even you'd have to shave the inside of the top wing down.

I wish people wouldn't butcher their guitars like that. I've added humbucker and knob holes, but there's no way I'd hack the wing off a V - I'd learn how to play the guitar without smashing it into everything. Some people's kids [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Or just leave it, paint it yellow, call it the Pac-Man guitar! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

First smack the dude who did this over the head with it [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] then,call GMW...this sounds like a job for the amazing Lee Garver [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I'd drill different sized holes all over the body. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

GMW! Fast as possible! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Fix it. Definitely.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Listen to your bros man! FIX THE DAMNED THING!!! If you hack it up we'll all be pissed at ya!! I may even report you to the powers that be and you'll never be able to post here again! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Just leave it. What's the point of fixing it? All you'd be doing is screwing the value EVEN MORE, while not improving the playability (you already said it plays fine). Use the money for another guitar. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

BM, I dunno what you're on tonight but I hope you brought enough for everyone! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I had a witty reply... but after looking at it some more all of my good natured silliness disappeared. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

FIX IT!

Comment

Lee said $250 to fashion a new wing onto it. Then paint prices on top of that, which for a solid color on a neck through total around $350. So it's going to be a fairly expensive job to complete it to original. But, for what I have in it, not unreasonable.

I had considered the "Dinky" King V but of course, the output jack is under the long wing, and that'd need to be relocated and redrilled. Too much work to reshape it. I'm not in any immediate hurry to do anything, I just wanted to hear what you guys would do.

I have a pair of black Rhoads PS-3T imports, thought about cutting off their wings and doing a transplant. Has there every been a successful JCF transplant performed? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X