KE2 vs. KE3.... Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE2 vs. KE3.... Differences

Besides the fretboard, pickups, inlays, and electronics are there any noticable differences? I mean as far as feel, playability, construction and quality goes. The pickups can be swapped out and the inlays aren't too important (imo). Does anyone here PREFER the KE3?

Re: KE2 vs. KE3.... Differences

The KE3 has a satin-finished bolt-on neck compared to the neckthrough construction of the KE2. That's the most notable difference. I think the quality on my KE3 is absolutely amazing and maybe I got lucky with it since I'm not sure what other KE3s are like. I also love how mine came with all-black hardware instead of the chrome hardware which just makes it look so elegant and deadly. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The KE-2 is neckthrough, pretty big contruction difference there...Plus, it's got binding and given that it's handmade, there's bound to be a difference in quality. Also, the KE-2 comes stock with any upgrades you might add to the KE-3 so that's kind of a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
        The KE3 has a satin-finished bolt-on neck compared to the neckthrough construction of the KE2. That's the most notable difference. I think the quality on my KE3 is absolutely amazing and maybe I got lucky with it since I'm not sure what other KE3s are like. I also love how mine came with all-black hardware instead of the chrome hardware which just makes it look so elegant and deadly. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">O.o Black hardware

Picsies please [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I will definitely have to take better pics of all my guitars in natural sunlight since they are so gorgeous, but for now, these semi-dark basement pictures will have to do. Enjoy! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Before EMG installation:
          http://onlinerock.com/musicians/notp...r/jackson1.jpg
          http://onlinerock.com/musicians/notp...r/jackson3.jpg
          http://onlinerock.com/musicians/notp...r/jackson4.jpg

After EMG installation:
          http://onlinerock.com/musicians/notp2//gear/emg01.jpg
          http://onlinerock.com/musicians/notp2//gear/emg02.jpg
          http://onlinerock.com/musicians/notp2//gear/emg03.jpg

Comment

That's a lovely instrument (although I would have gone with Duncans over EMGs). Those pics make me want a Kelly. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice, the black hardware makes it look alot better

What's with the reversed inlays on a REGULAR headstock neck [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] you changed necks ?

I know DXMG's have it like that, but i think/thought KE3's had regular inlays.

Comment

Thanks fellas. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I was VERY skeptical of the Kelly shape when I first saw it on Jackson's website, and I honestly thought it was the worst Jackson shape out there. I very quickly grew to adore it. I loved the guitar, but slapping in the EMGs gave it the sound I was looking for. I couldn't decide which Duncans I wanted, so I randomly chose some EMGs on Ebay (EMG-85 for the bridge, EMG-89 for the neck with coil-split activated by the single push-pull volume knob), and it turned out to be the best game of chance I've ever played. I may never order a Custom Shop Jackson, because, what's the use? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Well, if I ever do, it will probably have the same specs as my KE3, but maybe a different body shape and probably neckthrough with a satin unpainted neck showing off that beautiful maple. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

The DXMG has a reversed headstock with regular sharkfins. I honestly don't know what's up with my KE3's neck. I've always thought I had a "different" or "unique" Kelly since I haven't seen any like it. As far as I know, the neck is all original. The RR3 also has a similar regular headstock and reverse sharkfins scheme.

Take a look at Musician's Friend's KE3 listing. I know Musician's Friend sometimes lists things improperly, but the KE3 at the top of their picture has my regular headstock and reverse sharkfins scheme:

Comment

Your guitar is exactly like mine. How do I attach a photo?

I bought mine in 1996 I think.

I was told that the Japanese imports all had reversed headstocks and reversed inlays. There were three models to choose from at the time There was the neck thru US model, my model and also a cheaper model with dot inlays, cheaper pick ups and tremelo.

I'm pretty sure later on some Korean models were available as they were quite cheap.

Each run since there have been variations. I was lucky to get black hardware as well.

When I ordered mine it came with the normal headstock.

Comment

The KE3 has a satin-finished bolt-on neck compared to the neckthrough construction of the KE2. That's the most notable difference.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In case you are wondering a guitar with a thru neck will have the strings attached to the one piece of wood. i.e. the machine heads, nut and bridge are all on the one piece. I hear that this will give the guitar more sustain and there are probably other benefits excepting that you cant change necks on the guitar.

The KE2 may be made from different woods which will give a different feel and sound. I don't know whether it is psychological though I think a neck thru guitar would feel more solid as there would be no movement where the neck joins body which you can feel on other poor quality guitars that go out of tune easily.

I have a KE3 and it feels fine to me, there is slight string buzz on the low E and A (it could be my settings) though un-noticable through amplification.

I don't know why such a metal looking guitar has Duncan Designed 102's when the DD103's are based on the Duncan Distortion pick up which is very popular for metal.

Comment

I loved the Duncan Designed HB102 set. They're modelled after the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set, which I think are standard on current USA Jacksons anyways. For me, they absolutely screamed, but I decided to try the EMGs on a whim, and I love them even more.

Sustain isn't really an issue... bolt the neck on properly and set up the guitar properly and it will sing forever. The EMGs do help a bit. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The KE2 is alder-bodied, as is the KE3, I believe. The difference is that the KE2 will have proportionally more maple running through the guitar and consequently less alder since it's a maple neckthrough.

Comment

How do I subscribe to a thread that I didn't start so I can receive email notification of replies?

Are you sure the Kellys are Alder?

I have a Jackson catalogue saying the KE2 and KE3 are poplar, the KE3(Gravure).

Do the black guitars still have gravure tops even though you cannot see the features through the paint?

though it also says the KE3 comes with a DD103 in the Bridge position when mine has a DD102.

It is the catalogue with the crop circles Jackson on the cover and has the KE1 Marty Friedman model in it.

Comment

I'm quite positive that mine is alder, although alder and poplar have rather similar tonal characteristics, supposedly.

I'm not sure about the notification of replies thing since I check the board almost every day for new replies.

I'm not sure what "gravure" tops are... as far as I know, my KE3 body is entirely made out of alder.

The only way to be entirely sure what pickups you have in yours is to rip them out of the guitar and look for the sticker on the underside of the pickups. I was quite surprised when I found out I had the HB102 (JB and Jazz) set rather than the HB103 (Distortion) set. Nowadays, the KE3s are equipped with the Detonator sets, which model the Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invaders.

Comment

Working...
                          X