Is a RR5 a USA or import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a RR5 a USA or import?

This may have been up here once before, but is an RR5 a USA or import. I was under the impression that it was an import but in the new Jackson catalogue it has it listed as a USA and although it has "real" duncan pickups it still doesn't say USA on the headstock. Like I said though, in the catalogue it shows the picture of it directly under a USA RR1 and has the title USA RR5. So , which is it? Was that a mis-print?

Re: Is a RR5 a USA or import?

It's an import. The catalog had it wrong.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Import with USA p'ups.

Comment

Yep, import with real Duncans. The SL4, and KV4 also had real Duncans, and the SL3 still does.

Which is why ten years from now people will realise how good they were. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Import with USA Stuff except ebony board and binding (It lacks Real MOP also, i think)

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

As soon as that catalog came out I knew we'd get this question eventually!

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] typos!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I always knew the RR5 was in import, but what surprised me was the Seymour Duncans on it. That is a definite added plus for that guitar right there. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Just out of curiousity, who here has one and what's it like as compared to a RR1? I'd like to find out some of the specifics on them. They appear to be a great guitar.

Comment

Specifics:
                    RR5 = gold hardware
                    RR1 = black hardware

RR5 = unbound rosewood fretboard
                    RR1 = bound ebony fretboard

RR5 = small selection of finishes
                    RR1 = HUGE selection of finishes

There's more but it's too early, so I'm off to get coffee........these are just the easy ones that you should be able to spot immediately when you look at the two.

Comment

Keep in mind that there is the RR1T which is a fixed bridge version of the Floyded RR1, so maybe comparing the RR5 with the RR1T is closer or more relevant since they're one factor more similar.

Comment

True, but the RR1T's numbers are so rare in comparison to the Floyd-equipped ones, that walking into a music store and seeing one next to an RR5 is highly unlikely. The RR1T's hardware would also most likely be black and have a bound ebony fretboard.

Comment

RR5 = Trans red finish with gold hardware and tuno (best looking axe ever)

RR1 = Huge selection of (pretty cool) colours [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers

Comment

I still don't get what people mean by the "feel" of a fretboard. I've never even touched a fretboard on a jumbo-fretted guitar unless it was me deliberately putting my finger between the strings to feel the fretboard or if I'm changing strings. When playing, I've never touched the fretboard... maybe I'm a sissy and don't fret as hard as you guys to be able to get the pads of my fingers to depress the string down so far that they touch the board. I'm guessing I'd do absolutely fine on scalloped fretboards, but what's the use when I don't even feel them on "flat" fretboards to begin with?

Fretboards don't slow me down. A thick round neck profile, high action, crusty strings, and the bolt-on neck heel slow me down, but certainly not a fretboard I don't even touch with my fingertips.

Help me out, guys... do your fingertips brush the fretboard and slow you down or something? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Well for me it depends on the fret size and string gauge. There have been guitars that I've had to really press to feel the fretboard but most of the time I do feel the wood underneath my finger tips unless I'm playing a fast sequence. I don't know if that's normal or not, I might be pressing too hard but I figure as long as a player is comfortable it doesn't matter if they touch the fretboard or not. So the way I look at it is that both of us are right!LOL!

As far as the sandpaper feel I could be confusing the fretboard feel with the actual fret wire feel. Either way it's not something that I like.

Comment

Working...
                              X