Advice on buying U.S.A or Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying U.S.A or Import

I can't decide on saving 3 months and buying an import, or saving about 7 months and grabbing a U.S.A.

I'm not a professional player. I'm 25, been in a couple of bands, but I'm definitely small time. I've been told a person should only spend what their "status" dictates.

Also, I've never owned a Jackson, per say. Used to own a 91' Charvel 375 Deluxe. And there's the undeniable lengthy wait attached to buying a U.S.A., that is when you work for small wages like I do. What do you say?

Re: Advice on buying U.S.A or Import

per se

How about waiting 4 1/2 months and scoring a USA from eBay? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

buy USA you won't be sorry

Comment

Get either one. In fact, get both.. I did. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The new Imports are "arguably" very close to the USA models.

If Ebony, real MOP inlays, logo and OFR for ex, and good Duncans are your thing, go for a new USA or for less cash, a used one.

The imports like the MG and Pro series have cheaper pups, cheaper bridge, rosewood fingerboards and fake pearl inlays.

The exception would be the MG series, which have EMG-Hz pups, which I really feel are equal to Duncan.

I think they are very close in terms of workmanship and playability tho..

Pick one up and try one.

It's your call the US guitars are "better" overall, you just need to decide if they're twice as good.. for YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes:
          I've been told a person should only spend what their "status" dictates.

What do you say?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I saw thats [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] bigtime! A person shoudl get what he/she likes and feels good in their hands! Now ofcourse if its a person starting out, why get em a $1500 USA when a $500 import will feel the same to him.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
            Get either one. In fact, get both.. I did. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The exception would be the MG series, which have EMG-Hz pups, which I really feel are equal to Duncan.

I think they are very close in terms of workmanship and playability tho..

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's either me or the MG series i tried were poorly setup, i really don't find them sounding or playing any close to a USA Jackson.

As for the Pro series, i'd have to admit that another than the fancy hardwares, they are pretty well made. And if you're lucky, you might find one just as good as a USA made or even better.

Just my 0.02 cents worth of crap [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            Cham

Comment

Do you have to be a nascar racer to buy a corvette?

No, buy whatever YOU like and what YOU feel comfortable getting.

It's all about getting what you want man... I'd save up extra and get USA, quality is top notch, and you can find them decently priced used on ebay.

I'd rather buy a used Jackson off ebay than a new Jackson at a store. You'll be getting a better product (though some of the imports are just as good or better)....

Go with what you want.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleonfong:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's either me or the MG series i tried were poorly setup, i really don't find them sounding or playing any close to a USA Jackson.

As for the Pro series, i'd have to admit that another than the fancy hardwares, they are pretty well made. And if you're lucky, you might find one just as good as a USA made or even better.

Just my 0.02 cents worth of crap [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                Cham [/QB][/QUOTE]

Everybody has thier own feelings.

I've honestly never tried the MG series in a store. I got mine off of Ebay, and comparing my DXMG, after a setup, to my DK1 or SL1.. I have to say, the DXMG hangs with em no problem.

Comment

It's not fair to judge ANY guitar until it's been properly set-up. JMHO.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

How about a banjo? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Twang-Twang [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

get a carvin custom guitar. made in the usa and relatively inexpensive!

Comment

Yeah, and you can be one of millions who play a guitar that has NO big-names attached to them - oh wait, that applies to Jackson as well [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Ummmmmm I'd say get what YOU want. I always wanted a Les Paul and thought long and hard about saving up the money for one, but I didn't feel I was "worthy" as a player. When I DID finally buy one, I did consider myself "worthy" as a player because I could run through nearly 100 songs without the tape/record/CD playing at the same time.

But, your mental mileage may vary - had I bought a Les Paul sooner, would I have improved faster? Better tone, better quality than the Ibenhad I was using - could have resulted in being better sooner [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          I'll never know.
                          But I do know if I had to do it all over, knowing what I know now, I'd have saved up for The Big One [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree with most get what you want. If it was me then wait for the next run of the american made Charvels. You'll have something that not many people own.

Comment

Go for a new import, top guitars, without the glam. Ebony, pearl inlays etc wont make you a better player, or go for a mint used USA that you wont need to upgrade, fix etc.
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X