1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 question

Does a person really lose that much sustain with bolt -on necks, as opposed to neck-thru?

I was looking at DK1's, and they're U.S.A made, but bolt-on...sweet looking guitars. I love those Soloist necks, too. I suppose any U.S.A. Jackson would have tremendous sustain no matter what, but do you say it's reality or myth?

Re: 1 question

The old wives tale that thru neck and set neck guitars have more sustain than bolt neck guitars [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I have 2 USA Soloists(neck thru)-1 Hamer special FM(set neck)-1 USA Jackson fusion(bolt) and 1 Hamer Chapparel(bolt) and let me tell you, I can`t see no loss of sustain between any of them. Now that being said I do play thru a VHT Pittbull CLX-100 Amp and it is very high gain, but I have also played them thru my freinds Fargan and it doesn`t matter, gain or clean. If there is a difference it is so minute that I can`t tell. I love all 3 neck styles, I absolutely love neck thru and set neck, but love bolt ons to as long as they have the tappered bolt heel as mine do [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

A properly set-up bolted-on neck that won't shift around in the neck pocket is key.

Wonder who was the one who started this "old wives' tale" about bolt-ons being inferior to neckthroughs. Personally, I've always thought it was a thing of preference.

Pickups and amps, in my opinion, contribute MUCH more to sustain than the type of neck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Gibson ran an ad in a guitar magazine ages ago that showed a picture of a tree, and a picture of a tree with a neck plate.

I remember that from like ten years ago.

Comment

Isn't a tree with a neckplate called an Ibanez??
          [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The main problem is that the cheapest, crappiest guitars are bolt-ons, so they can get a bad rap from people. A well made guitar of any configuration will sound great and sustain fine.

I have all 3 kinds of necked guitars including setneck of the Gibson and Charvel 750XL variety and just love my bolt-ons. Whichever USA Jackson has the neck you like best you will love.

Comment

Base your criteria on how the neck feels.

I think for that most people here feel the DK1 has a slighlty thinner neck than the Soloists.

I know mine feels that way.

How it attatches to the body should be of no real concern in my book.

I, like the others, have guitars with necks from all three camps. Bolt-on, neck-through, set-neck.

I can't hear any difference that I can attribute to neck/body relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb:
                Gibson ran an ad in a guitar magazine ages ago that showed a picture of a tree, and a picture of a tree with a neck plate.

I remember that from like ten years ago.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was Epiphone. They also ran another one showing how the more extreme tilt of their headstocks (as opposed to Strat-styled guitars) gave "more sustain." What they didn't bother to say is that *IF* it actually makes a difference, it would only matter on open strings, since a fretted note, in effect, becomes the new "nut."
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I had a bolt-on that was epoxied into the pocket AND bolted on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Sustained just fine IMO [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My first Jackson was an import Kelly that could sustain a note like a bass - not feedback (though it did do that very well like a good guitar should), but honest-to-goodness long-assed sustain.
                  'Course it had 11's and a wound 3rd....

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Bolt-ons will give you a little bit brighter of a tone IMO...but it's barely noticeable when you factor in pickups/amps/etc.

As far as sustain, that's BS. A good setup bolt-on will sustain just as long as a neck-thru or set-neck IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X