Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson model designations to change?

Hey youse guys!
    I heard a rumor a couple months back "from one of my sources". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Allegedly the letter designations are going away! That is, the SL, KV, RR, KE, etc.
    The models will have actual names, similar to how the Fender models are named. (ie, Jackson King V America, Kelly Esquire, Soloist Standard, Rhoads Deluxe).

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Jackson model designations to change?

I sure hope so. I can remember the days before Jackson used the numbers. It's so common today that those who don't know better will call a 1990 Soloist an SL-1! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I prefer the old style over the letter designations.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
        Kelly Esquire
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Will that have a pickguard and Tele bridge with a lipstick single coil in the neck? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They need to lose the letters but a big HELL NO to the "American", "Deluxe", "Standard" or whatever. I can live with Rhoads USA or Soloist USA but nothing else please.

Comment

...sounds like Fender is having influence huh?...For the worse or perhaps, for the better. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

OK....Who's in favor of the full names instead of the letters and why?

Oh yeah...and you guys who aren't in favor, you get a chance to talk too?

Let's hear it!!!

I don't have all day...I have to learn now...Teach me damnit! Teach me!! Pros and Cons let her rip!!! [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Between the Fish

Comment

Yeah, the names would be fine with me, but just for example sake, say you do have a "Soloist USA" model. How would you designate between H/H and H/S/S config? Or would that just be part of the name (Soloist US H/H)? There's probably a lot of good ways to do it. I don't mind the letter/number designation, because you know exactly what it is or what it should be (Import, pick-up config/ binding/ fretboard etc...). Should be interesting though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm in favor of the names. I bought my first Jackson in '85, the switch to letter/number designations made the guitars seem cheaper to me. I know it's psychological but you slap a couple of letters followed by a number or two on cheap mass produced products, not top-shelf goods. I'd name the US models and keep the other designations for the imports. Even if it's a minor thing, that would be a clear differentiator between the lines.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I wouldn't do 'Rhoads USA' - makes it sound like a physical location (i.e. 'Hi, I'm Ted from Rhoads Island' [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I'd designate the USA models by their model name - Rhoads, Kelly, Soloist, etc, and the imports by their model range - Soloist Pro, Kelly Pro, etc etc. I'd do the X and MG series accordingly; MG Soloist, X Rhoads, etc).

And for God's sake, I'd carve MADE IN JAPAN YOU DUMBASS on the back of the head for the Ebay morons who can't read a damn serial number chart correctly [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wish they'd just go back to "Professional" and "Performer" on the Japanese guitars.

The USA guitar really need their god given(Grover) names. When you go look at a $4000 Les Paul, are you looking at a LP-1? Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

Comment

That American, Deluxe, Tex-Mex crap that Fender uses is the worst IMO. What a way to confuse the consumer. They have like 1000 different models of the same body and neck yet I can't figure out or understand the differences between them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
                        When you go look at a $4000 Les Paul, are you looking at a LP-1? Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OMG!.....I'm dyin over here....ROTFLMAO! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I'm laffin so hard I might [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Years ago, I already suggested to change model designations. The current model designations are not logical and incosostitent. Whereas the "2" in DK2 means Japanese Professional series, means "2" for the most other models USAelect series. For some models, "T" means tremolo, for other models "T" means Tune-O-Matric or hardtail. There are very different models using the same desigination, like the two very different DK1's.

I would suggest designations like these:
                          - USA Select Series:USA Select Soloist HSS FR, USA Seelect Soloist 2H FR, USA Select Soloist 2H QT TOM, USA Select Dinky HSS FR, USA Select Dinky 2H FR, etc ...
                          - Professional series, made in Japan: Professional Soloist HSS, Professional Soloist 2H, Professional Dinky HSS etc ...
                          - Standard series, made somewhere in Japan, Korea, India, China or elsewhere in Asia: Standard Soloist, Standard Dinky etc ...

What about reserving the Charvel an Jackson names for USA models only, and naming the non-USA models Squier: Squier Soloist, Squier Dinky etc... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby:
                            What about reserving the Charvel an Jackson names for USA models only, and naming the non-USA models Squier: Squier Soloist, Squier Dinky etc... ?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you insane!?!
                            [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Then it would be 100 times better to call them "Charvette", even though that alone would suck enormously.

The Jackson name sells a lot of imports. If they'd dump all the imports over on the squier label, FMIC would just be screwing themselves out of perfectly good sales. IMNSHO.

What says a lower priced import can't have the Jackson name?
                            *alarm starts sounding*
                            "Holy cow batman, that's the guitar snob alarm!"

'bane

Comment

You really want the imports to have a Squier logo? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] For most of us that'd
                              prompt us to [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Edit to give props to Sunbane for saying it better and faster than I did! Toby, your other points were good, but no Squier Jacksons, for God's sake!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X