Mike Shannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shannon

I think that soloists built by this guy are specials for you jcfers right?I know nothing about Mr.Shannon,was he just a really good lutier?

Re: Mike Shannon

Originally posted by Mordor:
    I think that soloists built by this guy are specials for you jcfers right?I know nothing about Mr.Shannon,was he just a really good lutier?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he had a line of shannon soloists a few years back , and yeah he is and was Jackson's best luthier to many . and I think Hossman knows him and said he doesn't ever [ can't] play guitar or something like that , he also said that he came by here every once and a while to check out posts and to se what we were saying about him ...... hey guys by the way what ever happened to old Hossman I never see him post here anymore ? //Steve

Comment

correct that mike doesn't play guitar. from what i've been told, he had a job in a furniture manufacturing company (something to that extent) and a friend told him that a guitar company was hiring. so he applied and got the job. mike's also one of the nicest guys you could meet.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

good, lol, thats funny, what a understatement, soory, no [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] t making fun, just funny!

Comment

Mike was behing the majority of custom work for endorsers in the 80's. They went to the plant and told him "add this here" or make this like..." and he did it.

Mike was behind the Soloist and contributed the tilted neck concept which makes the Soloists play like the do-FAST. His orginal design of the non recessed Floyd on a neckthru guitar with tilt away neck were copied by everybody.

The "Shannon Soloists" are a rebirth of this design in limited numbers. You will notice the lack of recess route on the body in these cool Soloists.

Aside from the Soloist, Mike help create Randy's V's, the custom "VH" shaped Jacksons, and a plethora of famous players axes. He is THE MAN when it comes to guitar building and has an eye for detail second to none.

And yes, he is a self proclaimed "hack" when it comes to guitar playing. It's actually quite amusing. LOL..

Be sure to stop by and say hello to him at the Jackson booth at this year's NAMM show. You won't talk to a nicer guy. super laid back and super cool to boot..

Comment

Amazing (and slightly baffling) how an amazing builder doesn't even play guitars. I sometimes wonder how he KNOWS his guitars have a good feel without even "testing" them himself. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

i heard he plays the trumpet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

j/k

Comment

no , skin flute

Comment

mike shannon is a fukkin' studhorse.
                  top shelf motherfukker indeed.

tommy
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Most of the pioneers of the electric guitar world were not players. I think because they don't play, they can be a little more open minded when it comes to things like playability and tone. They design stuff to make their clients happy, not to please their own preset ideas of perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by kickaxeguitars:
                      Mike was behind the Soloist and contributed the tilted neck concept which makes the Soloists play like the do-FAST. His orginal design of the non recessed Floyd on a neckthru guitar with tilt away neck were copied by everybody.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, a Les Paul has a tilted back neck, also. A guitar with a non-recessed Floyd needs to have a tilted back neck... a recessed Floyd does not.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Chuck was saying that the Soloist was the first guitar to incorporate the Floyd Rose by tilting back the neck angle. Sure, the Les Paul had been tilting back since 1952 or so, but not with a Floyd Rose. By the way, Chuck, your summary of Mike's fine points was very well written and complete. Good job showing his accomplishments like that!
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
                          I think that soloists built by this guy are specials for you jcfers right?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, not made for us JCFers. They were limited SL1 editions made in the late '90s, poplar body, non-recessed trem, Mike's signature on back of headstock. There were some made in slime green, black, white, blue ghost flames. There's supposedly even a prototype that was sherbert orange, but I don't think anyone knows what happened to that one.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Whats this guys actual role at the custom shop? Is there anything specific that you can look at your guitar and say "Oh those are Shannon drill holes" or something? Or is he just a oversee-er type person?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mordor:
                              I think that soloists built by this guy are specials for you jcfers right?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, not made for us JCFers.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I mean that JCFers like it more than a normal soloist

Comment

Working...
                              X