Mike Shannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike Shannon

Ah, I get what you mean now. Yes, they are special! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I don't own one but would like to some day.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

and I think Hossman knows him and said he doesn't ever [ can't] play guitar or something like that
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
      correct that mike doesn't play guitar. from what i've been told, he had a job in a furniture manufacturing company (something to that extent) and a friend told him that a guitar company was hiring. so he applied and got the job
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
      Amazing (and slightly baffling) how an amazing builder doesn't even play guitars. I sometimes wonder how he KNOWS his guitars have a good feel without even "testing" them himself
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, Guys...

YA GOT ME !!!!

I THINK my partner, Chuck at Kick Axe Guitars in Detroit sorta SENSED it - but out of RESPECT and FRIENDSHIP - he has NEVER BROUGHT IT UP...

Doc Dryer...yer GOOD BUDDY - and OWNER of a CUSTOM LUTHERIE SHOP - that REPAIRS GUITARS on a DAILY BASIS, SPECIALIZES in Floyd Rose setups, and BUILDS {from the GROUND UP} CUSTOM SHOP GUITARS {that MANY of you have PLAYED - or at LEAST played YOUR GUITAR - AFTER I have done WORK on it}...

CANNOT PLAY HIS WAY outta a WET PAPER BAG !!!!!

I CANNOT PLAY ONE ENTIRE SONG, and have HEARD KIDS that have been playing for SIX MONTHS that are WAY, WAAAAY BETTER that me !!!!!!

You SEE...to be an ACCEPTABLE BUILDER of STRINGED INSTRUMENTS, one needs FIVE ATTRIBUTES...

1}...a BASIC KNOWLEDGE of ELECTRONIC and MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - or AT LEAST...KNOW HOW $HIT WORKS !!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

2}...if one is NOT a PRO at these 2 skills, one needs the ability to LISTEN, and the desire to LEARN...

3}...some HANDS-ON SKILLS in these 2 areas...

4}...a GOOD EAR...

and...

4}...PATIENCE !!!!!!!!!!

When I entered the field of radio {I was an FM DJ for 16 years}, I was NOT JUST a "BOARD JOCKEY"...I had attended SCHOOL, and had my "FCC Radio-Telephone 1st Class" license...DJs could be ON THE AIR back then, but if they DIDN'T HAVE a "1st Class Ticket", they NEEDED a LICENSED ENGINEER to "baby-sit" them 24/7 while on the air to do their transmitter readings - OR - in the event the transmitter went DOWN, their REPAIRS...For YEARS, I TOOK APART and PUT TOGETHER 100,000 watt radio transmitters, so I PROBABLY have about the working knowledge of electronics that our own Pete at www.twisteramps.com has...I ALSO developed a GOOD EAR during this time, and my Father was VERY HANDY [and VERY ANAL [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ] about building or repairing ANYTHING...When I asked to go play with my buddies, he would REFUSE to allow me to do so, but - INSTEAD - would MAKE ME EITHER WATCH HIM or DO THE REPAIR MYSELF under HIS guidance and supervision on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, and - HENCE - I acquired SKILLS #s 1-4 above...

...Regarding my lutherie skills, I was LUCKY ENOUGH to have Dan Lenz at www.axehaven.com here in Denver take me under his wing, and TEACH ME ALL MY LUTHERIE SKILLS, and he was WILLING to DO SO - because I DEMONSTRATED that I had SKILL #2 above, and was VERY WILLING to SHUT UP and LISTEN, and had the ABILITY to LEARN - EXTREMELY FAST...

...SO...THAT gave me SKILLS 1 THROUGH 4 ABOVE, and when I QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL on 7/16/00...I MAGICALLY ACQUIRED the 5th SKILL...

PATIENCE !!!!!!!!!

I don't know HOW MANY of you have EITHER PICKED UP or OWNED one of my Custom Shop Guitars, or PLAYED a guitar I have WORKED ON...{and NOT to HONK my OWN HORN HERE}

..BUT...

I THINK
      that my UNSOLICITED REVIEWS at Harmony Central of my work...

HERE > > > DOC DRYER REVIEW PAGES AT HARMONY CENTRAL

{other than the ONE REVIEW left by some SPINELESS, ANONYMOUS TURD that I NEVER BUILT A GUITAR FOR...}

...SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES...

AND will SHOW...that you DON'T HAVE to be JOHN FORCE {who can get a AA Nitro-Burning MONSTER down the quarter-mile as WELL and as FAST as ANYONE ON THE PLANET !!!}

...in order to BUILD THE CAR that can DO IT !!!!

...in closing...

I...Doc Dryer...MUCH like Mike Shannon...CAN'T PLAY SHEE-ITT !!!

[and THAT is a DAMN SHAME for a guy that OWNS OVER 80 GUITARS in his PERSONAL COLLECTION !!!!}

...but I DAMN SURE TRY to BUILD THEM RIGHT...so YOU GUYS can PLAY THEM !!!!

...I'll BUILD THEM...YOU GUYS PLAY 'EM !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dryer:
        {other than the ONE REVIEW left by some SPINELESS, ANONYMOUS TURD that I NEVER BUILT A GUITAR FOR...}
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is that numb nuts' problem? I guess, hanging with Paul Gilbert, long-time Ibanez endorser, he'd know "REAL" guitars... What a douche [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I wasn't really clear in defyning Mike's angled neck design.

Mike designed a "reverse ramp" that tilts the neck the way it does.

This is exclusive to the Soloist design and of Mike's oroginal creation and wood working knowlege.

Yes. Les Paul's do have a tilted neck as well but Gibson achieved their tilt design in an entirely different manner.

One of Mike's goals was Stability considering the long,Fender scale length of a Jackson. His design was quite brilliant considering Floyds were basically a new concept, especially on a neckthru guitar.

Forgive my orginal incomplete summary. I explain things the way I play guitar-NOT VERY GOOD! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I like Doc and Mike play em just enought to know what a well built, well set-up guitar should feel like. You guys can play em... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by kickaxeguitars:
            I wasn't really clear in defyning Mike's angled neck design.

Mike designed a "reverse ramp" that tilts the neck the way it does.

This is exclusive to the Soloist design and of Mike's oroginal creation and wood working knowlege.

Yes. Les Paul's do have a tilted neck as well but Gibson achieved their tilt design in an entirely different manner.

One of Mike's goals was Stability considering the long,Fender scale length of a Jackson. His design was quite brilliant considering Floyds were basically a new concept, especially on a neckthru guitar.

Forgive my orginal incomplete summary. I explain things the way I play guitar-NOT VERY GOOD! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I like Doc and Mike play em just enought to know what a well built, well set-up guitar should feel like. You guys can play em... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Makes more sense now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] BTW, I don't really play that great either. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mike also can crank out a neck with the ultimate hand shaped SD Charvel profile/feel in his sleep. He's a super nice guy and was under appreciated by the management outside of the custom shop for many years.

As for the Shannon Soloist, I had heard that he basically got nothing for that series with his name on it. Basically a free guitar, so that's like $8 for each one sold.

I think the Fender people realize how valuable Mike is to the company and probably will be in the future.

Comment

Steve I'm here..
                Mike is in charge of the guitars in the Custom Shop, as a hands on oversee-er, luthier, instructor and QA. He can't play much - but more than me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and I even don't build guitars :lol maybe I should [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] DOOHHH!
                Great things are happening at Jackson USA just wait and see what Mike's influence and knowledge will do. Hard Working, Great Man and a Good Friend.

Cheers All

Comment

I gotta chime in here too...I'll echo what the others have said about Mike.

You will never find a nicer, humbler guy than Mr. Shannon. He gets some credit for his work at Jackson over the last 20+ years but NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!

I cannot think of ANYONE I'd rather have build me a custom instrument...like say...JCF02!!

With him building Big Red, we are in such good hands, it's not even funny...and so is Jackson/Fender as long as he's there. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Doc Dryer,
                    With so much formatting that goes into each one of your posts ? How long does it take you to type a rather full response ?

Just curious, the unique style lets everyone know its you without even seeing the username ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Alex

Comment

very cool
                      one thing BCRich was using the reverse ramp to get neck angle on neck thrus way before Jackson even built its first neckthru.

Comment

Working...
                      X