Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Define...

Originally posted by Newc:
    Define Attitude. I hear it's the foundation for heavy music (Metal, Thrash, Gnu-Metal, Punk, etc etc), but exactly how is attitude defined? It's also an aviation term, so...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The aviation term is altitude, not attitude. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] j/k

Comment

Har har [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Attitude in aviation is also known as pitch and yaw, IIRC [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My parents thought the music I listened to was shit, I think the music our kids are listening to is shit, our kids are going to think the music their kids listen to is shit, our kids kids are going to think the music their kids listen to is shit.......and on and on and on and on.............
        Why is it that every generation seems to think its music is the best and everything else is shit??
        I think we all know the answer.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ah music,

It's such a dangerous trap to deride one form of music over another. I know, I catch myself doing it.. including in this thread.

My main problem with alot of the music I hear today, boils down to..well integrity.

I'm an old fart, I remember when there were no music videos, Bands were judged soley on their music. Quite frankly, I think alot of what we hear on radio would'nt cut it if there was no visual aspect selling the music.

Remember the concert? The ORIGINAL kickass music video?????

I can think of so many bands from 78 - 87 that had such great live chops.

I've seen some so-called live performances by some current "Metal" bands...disgracefull.

The music video has done more to damage the integrity and "honesty" of music than anything else I can think of in my opinion. (Look how it helped turn what started out as decent stadium hard rock into fluff and drivel)

I grew up istening to RocknRoll/Blues to Disco/Funk (try playing a mean funk guitar groove-harder than you think), 60ies and 70ies Hard Rock, on through the Metal years and beyond. (I'm not even going to mention the Latin,Opera or Classical bent I can go on.)

I've seen these things fade in and out of popularity.. but I've always found something I liked in pretty much all genres of music. (Gangsta Rap excepted)

When I hear Slipknot or Limpbizkit, Insane Clown Posse, ect.. I honestly try, try to find something redeeming.. but I can't, I just can't.. I don't hear a messege worth saying, I certainly don't hear any musicianship of any note, if there is killer technique or even adequate performances going on, please point them out to me.

It seems to me these bands are geared toward the visual medium. Doing they're best to look like "White gangstas from Hoboken"

I don't know what any of them are saying or what they stand for..

Maybe they are good musicians, but it doesn't sound like it to me.. I hear better playing in the guitar store. and thats the first time I ever thought that about a particular style of music. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

There I go, putting down someone's music again.

I guess maybe it is 2loud, and I am 2old. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think anyone's ever accused the guys in Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park of being good musicians, but they CAN write some good songs regardless. Okay, it's questionable if Limp Bizkit is worth a damn without Borland and Linkin Park... Chester Bennington can sing, but he whines too damn much.

I'll give anything a shot and if it doesn't annoy me, I stick with it. This includes metal, pop, rap, even COUNTRY and JAZZ! I got over the whole "Rap isn't music" thing a long time ago. You have to throw out your guitar-loving bias and just GO WITH IT. If gangsta rap and shit bugs you, check out some Run DMC or De La Soul. Not all rap is this retarded gangsta bullshit, just like not all metal is guys with bullet belts, denim vests, and pointy guitars. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll give anything a shot and if it doesn't annoy me, I stick with it. This includes metal, pop, rap, even COUNTRY and JAZZ! I got over the whole "Rap isn't music" thing a long time ago. You have to throw out your guitar-loving bias and just GO WITH IT. If gangsta rap and shit bugs you, check out some Run DMC or De La Soul. Not all rap is this retarded gangsta bullshit, just like not all metal is guys with bullet belts, denim vests, and pointy guitars.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">BM said it in a nutshell. Those who claim to love music but only seem to like a particular style don't truly LOVE music nor do they have a real understanding of what MUSIC is all about. Music is entertaiment in the form of a true art folks, and without the diversity and change it would become rather stagnant and unmeaningful in my eyes. You should see my music collection.....everything from death metal to classical and everything in between. Those who have a true appreciation for the art will have an open mind and be able to appreciate it from every aspect. The rest of you have a lot to learn about music.

Comment

The term "hair band" is used to describe ALL the bands from that era (roughly late 70's to early 90's), not just the ones that came to mind (Poison, etc.). My son used to believe that all the bands in the 80's were that way until I showed him the truth (Ozzy, Yngwie, Maiden, etc) and now he's into both nu-metal and old. The way things are now if I didn't open his eyes he would've missed out on some great music. That's why I dislike the label "hair band".

As for needing talent to play in a cover band, we played alot more difficult songs that Poison and Motley Crue. Try "Carry on my wayward son" by Kansas as a three piece (guitar, bass, drums), and Rush songs were almost a requirement as a 3 piece. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't define Talent by technical ability alone.

You don't have to like every style of music to love music, that's just silly. If that were so then I guess I would have to like all sports, video games, food, etc. I like more styles of music than I dislike, and I'm sure my CD/Cassette/LP collection is as varied as anyone elses (Classical, Rock,Pop,Country, Jazz, and Blues FYI). I'm a singer/songwriter and a musician almost all my life, I make my living on my music so don't tell me I don't love it. Why else would I be this poor? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I saw this topic and just added my opinion, and if some of you don't agree that's fine. If you like nu-metal all the power to you, you are entitled to your opinion too. I've seen topics like this before on other forums...it's better for us all to agree that we disagree and move on to why we're all on this forum to begin with Jackson/Charvel [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Joe

Comment

Well said MM2002!!!
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I've seen topics like this before on other forums...it's better for us all to agree that we disagree and move on to why we're all on this forum to begin with Jackson/Charvel
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">KYJoe, I dissagree with that totally. The arguments are what keeps this place alive!! I think it would be one of the 7 signs if a bunch of fucking metal-heads got together and actually started agreeing on shit. This forum shows true diversity in its greatest form. Don't fuck with it OK?
                    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                    JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                      Well said MM2002!!!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well said Zeeg!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Heyyyy now... I'm one of those who doesn't belong to YOUR generation but I mostly listen to stuff that was made before I was even born, and some years afterwards! I absolutely DETEST what kids my age or younger are listening to nowadays, even some people that are years older than I am!

And Newc made me think of something. Funny how "heavy metal" isn't really all that "heavy" by today's standards, yet I'll still call the original stuff "heavy metal". [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Now playing on my CD Testament-The New Order. Metaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                          X