Jackson Pickups discontinued??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Pickups discontinued??

I got a Jackson J-50 B pickup just hanging around.
    Can anybody tell me anything about it like: what does it sound like? Neck, bridge or both? high gain? low gain? What was it designed it be used for? Did Jackson make this pickup themselves or did they have a company like DiMarzio make them for Jackson and then put the Jackson name on it?

thanks in advance

Nick

[ December 29, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Nek ]

Comment

OK i have located a Jackson J-50 BC. Does anyone have either a JE-1000 Circiut or the schematics for this circuit. I talked to the local guitar tech and he said if he can geta schematic, he can build it from scratch. Let me know if anyone else is interested also.

Bob Tomasi
      [email protected]

Comment

These orignal Jackson pickups were wound in house, per Grover Jackson. One of the only times I ever got to speak with him and I asked him this. The J-50 was Jackson's attempt to create a vintage sounding humbucker (like the Gibson PAF). It is a low to medium output humbucker with alnico magnets, unless you see the "C" at the end in which case they used ceramic magnets. On its own there can be much to be desired, but coupled with the active circuitry it can be a sonic flame thrower. The J-80 was a distortion class pickup with more gain and a higher output. The J-90 was an ultra high gain pickup and Jackson literature describes it as their loudest pickup. There were other models too, like the rare J-92, the single coils, and even some bass pickups.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I've got a J50N in the neck of one of my Dinkies, with a Tone Zone in the bridge, and it's got an awesome sound!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Interesting. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
            If I wanted to use this pickup in the neck position, what would be a good choice for a bridge pickup and what kind of active circuitry, if any, would I need to get a '59/JB sound.

Nick

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] This just hit me. Is the "B" in my J-50B stand for "bridge"? I think it is F-spaced too. If so then I need a neck pickup, cuz I would use the J-50B for the bridge pickup. I still like the '59/JB sound.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for the schematics

Comment

Originally posted by Nek:
                  [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] This just hit me. Is the "B" in my J-50B stand for "bridge"? I think it is F-spaced too. If so then I need a neck pickup, cuz I would use the J-50B for the bridge pickup. I still like the '59/JB sound.

Nick
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I believe the B stands for bridge, N stands for neck. Anything with a C designation after if means it's a ceramic magnet instead of alnico.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think the Jackson pickups have been made until around 1994/1995. The 1994/1995 catalog was the last catalog with production models equipped with Jackson pickups. I think there are some leftovers, so they are still listed on the custom shop order form.

One of my Ontario Charvel Strats had a J50B, no F-spacing. I replaced it by a TB-6.

Comment

All of the J series pickups I've seen were not F spaced because the JT-6 trem was a regular spaced trem.Some people freak out if the pole pieces don't line up with the string I say put the cover back on and don't worry about it.It will still sound good.I have an old J-50N in a 1 hum guitar and while it is a lower output pickup it sounds outstanding thru a JCM 800 stack, a very vintage tone.I been thinking a set of these would be cool in a les paul copy of some sort.Call me crazy but I think I'll try that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ December 30, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Richard ]
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X