So I went to visit Floyd Rose (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I went to visit Floyd Rose (long)

This may be a little off topic but I figured a lot of folks here have an interest in Floyd.

As it turns out Floyd Rose is a local guy. A little while back buddy of mine had gotten one of the new Speedloader bridges from Floyd and his having Don Grosh build him a guitar.

I've been wanting a guitar with a Speedloader for a while so when the HippieCaster came last week I had the perfect guitar to put it on.

I called Floyd up on Monday to ask him about retrofitting it and he said to just come on down and he'd take a look at it.

Wednesday I dropped by and had him take a look at it. I gotta tell you it was really cool to have Floyd Rose himself pop the bridge off my guitar and see how the Speedloader would fit. Well, it doesn't. The recessed route needs to go back further to accomodate the new bridge. Bummer. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The only way to do it would be to route it. He didn't think it'd be a good idea with that finish. I wasn't hip to the idea either. Even if I would have considered it, it would have cost a ton of money to have it routed and have the finish repaired - it just wouldn't be worth it.

So Floyd says "why don't you try one of my guitars ?"

Sure!

So we walk over to the building where they manufacture the guitars. He also tells me to bring my guitar because JT (one of his luthiers) is a big Jackson fan.

This was VERY cool. Floyd hands me a guitar that JT had just finished setting up. This guitar was amazing. He plugged it into a very sweet Marshall combo - JT had modded it, it screamed! This first guitar had really hot pair of humbuckers in it. The guitar had sustain forever. It was very light and resonant. The Speedloader felt really good.

Then he hands me another guitar with their classic humbuckers in it. I liked this even better. The pickups were a bit more mellow but still had enough bite. They cleaned real nice too when you back off the volume control.

Some interesting things worth mentioning:<ul>[*]The action was sooooo low. I couldn't believe how low JT gets the action with no buzzing.[*]Everything about Floyds guitars are unique in some way. The pickups are custom made (designed by JT), the neck has a unique feel and shape, unique pickguard design, and the Speedloader![*]These guitars are made in the USA right there in the room I was in![*]The Speedloader bridges are being made by Schaller.[*]They are making a set neck model - looks sort of like a cross between a Les Paul, Tele, and a PRS. Very nice - I saw the Korina bodies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [*]They have a fixed bridge Speedloader in the works - I saw a Gibson SG they had modded for this.[/list]
    Floyd hung around and chatted for a while. I thought he was very cool and particularly gracious with his time for some unknown guitar player! He got called away but that's when JT and I started talking - he is a super cool guy. He's a big Jackson/Charvel fan, used to work for Gibson, knows a ton about guitars, amps, etc.

As we were talking he mentioned that he had put a Speedloader on one of Steve Vai's guitars. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] So I asked him if he could put a Speedloader on my JEM7VWH. No problem. So today I brought my JEM to him. I should have it the day after Christmas. While I was there today I got a new bar for the HippieCaster since it was well worn and wasn't secure. Once again, everyone was super cool.

So I think I will seriously be looking into a Floyd Rose guitar for my next purchase...
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: So I went to visit Floyd Rose (long)

Very cool. It's always nice to read that companies and their owners care about customers.
    Makes you having a good feeling when buying from them and supporting them.
    Didn't know that FR also makes guitars.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Cool post Tim! Fixed bridge speed loader? That would be cool. I have to say the guitars look a bit odd,(Something to get used to I suppose)but I'd like to see the set neck FR. I'll bet they did play like butter though. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
        [*]They are making a set neck model - looks sort of like a cross between a Les Paul, Tele, and a PRS. Very nice - I saw the Korina bodies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        [*]They have a fixed bridge Speedloader in the works - I saw a Gibson SG they had modded for this.[/list]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, really those sound interesting! Thanks for sharing that great story. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

awesome story!

yeah FR making guitars, that's realy cool... better than when I found out he had a sig. model with kramer in the 80's

Comment

Yeah, Floyd is way cool, as demonstrated in this pic:

Or was he just scared stiff? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

he looks like he's about to crap himself [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think he's thinking to himself, "I made money on every guitar he owns". [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Not the Gibby Flying V or the Yamaha G-55

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i think you must of scared the sh1t out of him.

I've seen one of the floyd rose guitars. They looked pretty cool. Very weird headstock.
                    93 USA Soloist EDS
                    USA HT6 Juggernaut
                    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

that's a cool story dude,

my biggest respect goes out to people with supposedly "big names" who keep their feet on the ground and stay cool like that. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I always treat people with respect but without starting any of that not [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] worthy shit! We're only humans. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe he thinks you're Grimace and you're about to eat him. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

great story! floyd had a hardtail speedloader at namm last year, i wonder if he's updated it? i hope so b/c it takes SO much wood out of the body.

i'm really not a floyd/trem fan, and i used to joke with jeremy that if i ever met floyd, i'd kick him square in the nuts.... then i met him at namm, and he demonstrated how the whole thing works to curt and i. he was SO nice, and i kept laughing to myself b/c i was supposed to kick him in the nuts.

he was such a nice guy, and it was cool to have met a pioneer in the industry...even if he wasn't dressed like a pioneer.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What a great story! Thanks for posting it! I think the Speedloader is a great step forward for the Floyd Rose setup, and I hope it becomes very successful. From a technical standpoint, it makes a great deal of sense to terminate the strings at the nut and remove the tuners from the equation, since they're almost irrelevant anyway in a "classic" Floyd setup.

I'll be interested to hear how you like your "Speedloaderized" Jem.

Comment

Any idea how much those Floyd guitars cost?

Comment

Working...
                              X