My first Jackson; DXMG or DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Jackson; DXMG or DK2?

I'm about to get my first Jackson, and am now facing the dilemma of choosing between the DXMG and the DK2.
    It's my understanding that the DXMG would be a better choice if I want a pure metal guitar (which would actually be kinda what I'm looking for), but that the DK2 would be better for clean playing (as it has both a humbucker and single-coils), and is a more allround-ish guitar. Is this right? I do have a guitar capable of playing clean right now, though (3 single-coil strato imitation).
    How would you rate the EMG-HZ (DXMG's humbuckers) versus the Duncan HB-102B (DK2's humbucker)?
    As I live in a small town pretty far away from any major guitar dealer, it would be very difficult for me to try testing both guitars before buying.
    Therefore, I highly appreciate all thoughts and suggestions from those of you who are more experienced with Jackson guitars.

And another (probably stupid) question: what does "carved top" really mean?

Re: My first Jackson; DXMG or DK2?

I don`t care for reverse headstocks, so the DXMG would be out right there. I use to own a DK2 about 2 years ago, but sold it, I neaded the money, but it was very well built, but the pickups sucked royal ass [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] I recommend the DK2 for all around, but put some real pickups in there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Ok, I see. But I actually find it rather attractive with reversed headstock... =) So that's definitely no problem for me.

Comment

Well, I think you already answered your question; You are looking for a metal guitar, and the DXMG is just that. You already have a strat-imitation for those clean tunes, so you don't need another guitar for that. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Carved top means that the top of the guitar is, well, carved. It's not flat, but a uneven surface, kind of what you see on a Les Paul for example.

Comment

well patte, I guess that's pretty much the answer I wanted... =) hehe. I think you've helped me make up my mind, I'm almost certain it'll be a DXMG.

Comment

Good for you. The DXMG is a great guitar.

So is the DK2, but the EMG-Hz are far superior to the Duncan Design pups in the DK2.

Comment

Well, well, 2Loud2Old posting on a DXMG thread? Stop the presses! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X