Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Steve Vai,Joe Satriani, EVH 70th

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
    Cobain a fad that will die out? Nearly thirteen years on, Nevermind is still a STAPLE of rock radio. Give it the fuck up, people. I don't know of many fads that last 13 fucking years.

Jimmy Page was also too fucking stoned to play in tune. His tone is shitty and his bends are ALWAYS way the fuck out of tune. What was your point again?

The order is wrong, but I have to agree with most of the people on the list. Everyone on that list did something that was completely different from everyone else on the list, even players from the same genre.

Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo took Glenn Branca's idea of completely fucking with the guitar and ran with it. I wonder how many people that complain about Sonic Youth have ever even listened to them. They're fucking great songwriters, and more technically competent than anyone gives them credit for. I'd like to see some of you guys try to make anything worthwhile out of some of the tunings they use.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I 100% agree with your Cobain assessment. He will remain a current topic for all of music history to come. He is probably the furthest from a FAD. NOW!!!! Regarding your Jimmy Page comment!! That was totally uncalled for bro.. He is an incredible player/writer. A virtuoso for sure who has written and recorded some of the best rock songs in history.Most of his guitar solos are masterpieces that remain relevant after over 30 years+. Try playing some of them. The Rain Song and Stairway to Heaven speak volumes alone. His style is very difficult to master. Keith Richards is the same way. On the surface he doesn't seem like much until you dive in deep. Holy crap! Between the fantastic voicings and the alternate tunings he is truly an awesome guitar player.
    Same thing regarding Pete Townsend.

Comment

Can I have an AMEN? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Kurt Cobain doesn't really belong on that list, he was a decent (thought I hate to say it) songwriter, and Nirvana's music did have a huge impact on music in general. However, what he and the groups of that type did to music and musicians (especially guitarists) may never be repaired.

"Those were the days....."

Joe

Comment

jgcable: It doesn't change the fact that I think Page sucks balls. I can't stand his playing. I can't stand Zeppelin. Robert Plant pisses me off too. The other guys kick ass and should have found some better bandmates.

"Try playing like them." is a lame argument. I'd like to see Page play some of the shit that I can play. I'm pretty sure he can't do half the shit I can, and I'm also COMPLETELY sure that I can't do half the stuff he can.

That being said, I take nothing away from Page or Zeppelin's place among the best guitarists/bands ever. Just because I can't stand them doesn't mean they suck. I just don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by KYJoe:
          Can I have an AMEN? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Kurt Cobain doesn't really belong on that list, he was a decent (thought I hate to say it) songwriter, and Nirvana's music did have a huge impact on music in general. However, what he and the groups of that type did to music and musicians (especially guitarists) may never be repaired.

"Those were the days....."

Joe
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What do you mean "what he and the groups of that type did to music and musicians (especially guitarists) may never be repaired". Did you ever bother to listen to Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, or even Pearl Jam? All three have some KILLER leads.

Look, leads are not dead. They're just not mainstream anymore. So fucking what? Go listen to some Soilwork or Nevermore and bask in the meedley goodness. The average JCF member is not the target audience for what is on the radio. Whoop-dee-doo. Quit whining about it and just listen to stuff that doesn't suck.

/me fires up some Soilwork. Oh yeah... that's the stuff...

Comment

Amongst guitarists I think that you are certainly in the minority regarding Page. If he was always too stoned to play and he bends were always out of tune then I must assume you think that Hendrix sucks too. Wow, coming from a guitarist who states that Page can't play half the shit that you can, frankly I am surprised. Usually when you get to an above average level as a lead guitarist you find new found respect for players like Page. At least I did although I always thought he was a fantastic guitar player. His studio work is totally awesome. I could give a shit how he sounds live. It is in the studio where the true musician emerges.

Comment

You're still not getting it.

Feeling one way about something specific doesn't mean you have to feel that way about everything even remotely related to it. I hate Page's playing. I love Hendrix's playing. You could EASILY whip out the whole out of tune thing with Hendrix and you'd be right, but IT DOESN'T FREAKING MATTER. I dislike one, not the other. It is entirely possible to like one thing and hate another FOR THE EXACT SAME REASONS.

I love it when people COMPLETELY IGNORE half of what I say to make a point. Let me quote myself for a second...
              [QUOTE] I'm pretty sure he can't do half the shit I can, and I'm also COMPLETELY sure that I can't do half the stuff he can.

The door swings both ways. He can't do what I can, I can't do what he can. I wouldn't want it any other way. It would be pretty fucking boring if everyone did the same shit all the time. It's called variety. You like something I despise. It doesn't freaking matter. You like it, I don't care. I don't like it, you shouldn't care. I simply can't understand the constant complaints about popular music. I fucking hate jazz to an unbelieveable degree, but I acknowledge that there are some BADASS jazz musicians that could tear me several new assholes in 3/8 time at 250bpm WHILE CHEWING GUM. It doesn't change the fact that I hate jazz, and it doesn't keep jazz musicians from playing. It just means I don't care about them and they don't care about me. What's so terrible about this situation? Different people like different shit. There's no point in complaining about it. Just bloody ignore it.

Comment

I do understand what you're saying, through dissing Jimmy Page is uncalled for IMHO. I don't think you understand what I mean, though I'm sure most of this forum does...and it has little to do with guitar solos. I also know that continuing to argue will not make any difference either.

Joe

Comment

I'm not dissing him, I'm stating my opinion of him. Dissing him would be saying he smells like the underside of a truckstop toilet seat after all you can eat chili night.

Comment

Everyone's entitled to their opinion no matter how ridiculous or disrespectful it may appear.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

A list of 100 guitarists and hardly any of them could be considered influential to my playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X