USA or Japan / I've fallen in love with Mod6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA or Japan / I've fallen in love with Mod6

Four months ago I purchased Jackson DXMG (the one and only in our little country). I've been waiting for it app. 3 weeks. It's a made in Japan so I'm wondering what's the difference between those that are made in Japan and those that are made in USA?

---

Second (I didn't want to open two threads):

A month ago when I was buying EMG pickups over eBay Germany I saw Charvel Model 6 Pro (I don't know, what that Pro represents) and I said myself, wohow, great guitar. Pretty much alike my DXMG but with no reverse head, neckthru and blue colour. Well, colour doesn't matter pretty much, but I look forward to get some for me. The price was silly, $375 for almost new guitar.

Well now please tell me, what is or was the price of a new one.
    Do Charvel still produce this model? I pretty much like this model because it have two single coils and one humbucker to crush and sometimes I even play in commercial band (for money) so I need something more non-beasty. And above all I need a guitar which will be tuned on E and one which will be tuned on D.

Thanks.

Re: USA or Japan / I\'ve fallen in love with Mod6

Originally posted by Immortal:
    Four months ago I purchased Jackson DXMG (the one and only in our little country). I've been waiting for it app. 3 weeks. It's a made in Japan so I'm wondering what's the difference between those that are made in Japan and those that are made in USA?

---

Second (I didn't want to open two threads):

A month ago when I was buying EMG pickups over eBay Germany I saw Charvel Model 6 Pro (I don't know, what that Pro represents) and I said myself, wohow, great guitar. Pretty much alike my DXMG but with no reverse head, neckthru and blue colour. Well, colour doesn't matter pretty much, but I look forward to get some for me. The price was silly, $375 for almost new guitar.

Well now please tell me, what is or was the price of a new one.
    Do Charvel still produce this model? I pretty much like this model because it have two single coils and one humbucker to crush and sometimes I even play in commercial band (for money) so I need something more non-beasty. And above all I need a guitar which will be tuned on E and one which will be tuned on D.

Thanks.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you will find legio threads in the import charvel section regarding the model 6.

some short words:
    made in Japan from 86 till somewhere in 88/89. so, they are no longer in production. Their prize back then was (in the netherlands) fl 2800,- or something like that. In USD it was something like 900 or 1000 USD, so it was a top of the line guitar back then. Pickup config was HSS, active midbooster. Great guitar, plain and simple (have one myself, havily modified, but still, a model 6).

this is a guitar you can use in a commercial band, change the PU's and you have the sweetest tone imaginable (i have a lil screamin demon in the neck: sweet tone to the bone!).

Harrald

[ December 28, 2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

I know these guitars are more expensive overseas so if you can buy a Charvel Model 6 in excellent condition for $375 US money, buy it as fast as you can!!!! Model 6's were made in 86 with Kahler trems and in 87/88 with Jackson Floyd Rose trems. Charvel model 6's are very, very close to USA Soloists of the same time.

Comment

i agree there.. I even would snag a model 2. you can find em for about 200, swap pickups and add a floyd and you get a great great guitar. I have a model 4 I bought new. Still love it. I hate neck throughs So I only do bolt ons. The jackson trem on those old ones had one flaw. They were made out of pot metal and parts break easy. IF you know how to set them up right you can get a almost vintage trem feel. Those are the JT50. I have a model 88 charvel and jackson both have a higher end model trem. IT still look very very close to the JT 50 but is different. IT never ever goes out of tune.

But the pickups pretty much suck. All jackson pickups suck IMHO.even my model 4 with the preamp. I need tpo process the hell out of it and have a fresh battery to make em work right. The old Kodak Gold batteries worked the best.

But I babble. Any model series is a great guitar. Thye went in the shitter when the 275,375 et. al came out. But I must admint I really like the 750Xl I think..thats the model. I got a 375 that a I really dont care for. Trans Blue flame top maple board. keep meaning to tear it apart and make it a real guitar.. alas never enough hours in the day !!

Comment

The "single-coil" pickups are really humbucking too on the Model 6s. AS for the stock pickups and midboost, some say the key is taking off the pickup covers
          to get a better sound. I'm not unhappy
          with mine as they are, but that's personal preference. I just don't want to modify mine so I left them stock.

I'd agree, $375 in Slovenia would be a steal! Run, don't walk, to get it, and congrats on the find!

Oh, USA vs. Japan: With the Model 6, it is very comparable to US acksons except for rosewood vs. ebony board.
          With current models, the USAs have better woods, electronics and hardware than the imports, but even
          the imports have pretty good woods for the most part.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think Mr.earache means JT-6 if he is talking trems J-50 is a pickup.I have never broken a string saddle on a jackson JT-6 trem or any JT-6 part for that matter.I agree they are not made as well as an OFR but I am a heavy trem user and have never had a JT-6 go south on me yet.
            The model 6 is a high quality guitar in every respect on par with the USA jacksons of that time. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] P.S. Immortal my fathers side of the family are Slovenian hence the last name Turk.My grand mother was a trip,very thick accent and she believed in the undead.(spooky huh!) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ December 29, 2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Richard ]
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's silly that after long years finally in 2003 we are able to buy Jackson/Charvel here in Slovenia. We hadn't had dealer before. I mean an importer for J/C.

I saw that one on German eBay (my neighbours do work in Germany so I'm able to get stuff wery cheap - almost no shipping) and I'm still hitting my head in the wall not buying it! I thought myself what a dork that he's selling, now I think myself what a dork I was not buying it. Probably some pre-schoolar nerd is playing some Wienna Boys pieces on it.

At the moment only two Charvels on ebay. None of them Mod6 [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Just search Ebay every day. They aren't as common in Europe as USA, but there must be more there. You can set your Ebay preferences to automatically search for it, and Ebay will email you when one is up. A model very similar to the Model
                6 is the 650XL; the main difference is a 5-way switch instead of 3 miniswitches, and the toothpaste logo instead of the guitar logo. The 650XL came out after the Model Series was discontinued, but it is virtually the same. I would set your auto search on Ebay just for "Charvel" and "Jackson" rather than the full model name, because may people don't know what model they have. Many models don't even
                have their name on the guitar, so once the original owner sells the info can be lost.

Sorry you missed that one, but more are out there. Ave some money and set it aside, then wait like the spider in Lord Of The Rings! Just don't pounce on a Hobbit with a sword! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                  Just search Ebay every day. They aren't as common in Europe as USA, but there must be more there. You can set your Ebay preferences to automatically search for it, and Ebay will email you when one is up. A model very similar to the Model
                  6 is the 650XL; the main difference is a 5-way switch instead of 3 miniswitches, and the toothpaste logo instead of the guitar logo. The 650XL came out after the Model Series was discontinued, but it is virtually the same. I would set your auto search on Ebay just for "Charvel" and "Jackson" rather than the full model name, because may people don't know what model they have. Many models don't even
                  have their name on the guitar, so once the original owner sells the info can be lost.

Sorry you missed that one, but more are out there. Ave some money and set it aside, then wait like the spider in Lord Of The Rings! Just don't pounce on a Hobbit with a sword! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm just a glimpse away to set that up. Well I'm setting it right now.

Thanks for informing me about 650XL but I want Model 6. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Really, if I'm about to get one specific thing I'll keep searching for it for months just to get it. Many times I felt bad because of getting a substitute instead of waiting couple of days or weeks and getting the thing I wanted.

Comment

model6's are great guitars. ive had mine since i bought it NEW in 87. the pickups arent too great but ive got a duncan custom custom & a coolrail in mine no middle pickup & it sounds great. its plays & sets up alot better than some more expensive "high end guitars" ive owned.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                      A model very similar to the Model
                      6 is the 650XL; the main difference is a 5-way switch instead of 3 miniswitches, and the toothpaste logo instead of the guitar logo. The 650XL came out after the Model Series was discontinued, but it is virtually the same.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You forgot to say that the 650XL features a Schaller Floyd Rose (JT590) which is of better quality than the JT6 trem in the Model 6. In fact, the Schaller/JT590 trem is the second best after the Original Floyd Rose. That's why I bought a 650XL instead of a Model 6 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL+AARGH!

If I´d have seen this 2 weeks earlier you´d have had a chanche at my Model 6, she was for sale, 500 EUR

But then I dropped the Mid boost back in and a SD Dimebucker because I was bored. She´s goin NOWHERE now, sorry.

And it would have fit great, because I´m in GERMANY [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] / [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X