Why should I buy a Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why should I buy a Jackson?

what kind of guitar do you want? a superstrat I assume. in that case you can do several things:

1. get yourself an Import Jackson: DK2, DKMG or SL3 (depends on your preference: bolt on or neck through, last one gives the best tone IMVHO).
    2. get the Charvel Model 6 that was on ebay in the UK a few days ago: that is basicly a SL1 (soloist), change the PU's and you have the best guitar you can get for the money.
    3a. get yourself a Ibanez RG2620. Decent guitars: mahogany body, pickups are not even that bad for stock ones.
    3b. get yourself a Ibanez RG2020, must be obtainable for that money.
    4. Go shopping on Ebay in the US, you might be able to score a USA Soloist or Dinky for that money (beware of the importcosts: aproximately add 40-45% to the cost of just the guitar)

I think the Model 6 is the most realistic option for you, and the best one. Unless you want to go shopping in the USA, I suggest you take the SL3 or one of the Ibanezzes. I know this is not really a usual sound over here, but I like Ibanez for what they do, although they cannot touch the quality of the early imports and the USA models.

Another suggestion: doing business with guys in the classifieds forum is a GOOD option! oh, and just for the record: you have something like 1200 USD to your disposal, not a "mere" 1000.

good luck

Harrald

[ January 02, 2004, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

Well, if you use the heavier gauge strings on an Ibanez....

[img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Jackson guitars make you play better. They actually come with a factory warranty stating this:

Jackson stands by all of our instruments.
        By you purchasing this guitar, you are now officially one of the cool players and are entitled to:
        unlimited tail
        no hangovers
        packed gigs every night
        no need to ever take guitar lessons again!

All Jackson guitars feature:
        Auto sweep picking
        Auto string skipping
        Auto legato
        Auto vibrato
        Auto speed picking
        Auto pinch harmonics
        Auto hammer-on and pull-offs
        Auto Modes
        Cool huh?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        I am still waiting for the offical Stonewall Signature Model. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

JGCable:
          Jackson stands by all of our instruments.
          By you purchasing this guitar, you are now officially one of the cool players and are entitled to:
          unlimited tail
          no hangovers
          packed gigs every night
          no need to ever take guitar lessons again!

All Jackson guitars feature:
          Auto sweep picking
          Auto string skipping
          Auto legato
          Auto vibrato
          Auto speed picking
          Auto pinch harmonics
          Auto hammer-on and pull-offs
          Auto Modes
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine must be defective...they do NONE of the above claims. Should I send 'em in for warranty work, John? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Abso--fuggin--lutely..
            The Jackson repair department is located in my basement. There is a catch though. If after inspecting it I find that there are no problems, I get to keep it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

gotta agree with the price per performance-pound ratio. Ibanez guitars just don't produce the right sound for me, it's not quite thick enough. some jacksons are like that for me too (only the dk2 so far though... {IMHO}). Fender, good guitars, but not even a thick sound. (My stepdad made me try one through a dual rectifier last week. It was pathetic!) Esp's are actually pretty good guitars, but its the price per performance-pound ratio that gets me.

Best idea, go to the shop and try it though. It's you that's gotta decide on your tone.

Just my two cents.

Comment

The DK-2 has a very thin neck like an Ibanez, but the body's alder so if it doesn't sound thick enough for you a pickup change is probably all you need.

Others have covered the price-performance
                issues, and were completely right of course. I think Jacksons are much better
                looking too, and even the lower line imports have much better wood choicews than say Ibanez. Yamahas are actually very good guitars, especially the RGX (24.75" scale) and RGZ (25.5" scale) from the late 80s - early 90s. They are in the vein of Jacksons in looks and design
                though. Don't confuse the ones I mean for later RGX and RGZ models though, the
                newer RGZs I wouldn't want because they're only 22 frets.

Overall I think Jackson will give you the best value, performance, and coolness.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm leaning a bit more towards Jackson because of bod wood (My fingers have natural bass [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

The only problem is that many of the Dinky's come with two singles coils (the ones I like the look of anyways [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Andy!

Will probably get a DK2 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X