I met a true Jackson expert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I met a true Jackson expert!

OK, so we played this New Years Eve thing. I took 4 guitars because I'm anal like that and I prefer certain guitars for certain songs for either playability reasons, fret access, tone (biggie!), etc. So I had my '85 magenta Soloist, a '91 pop art graphic Soloist, my sunset beach Rhoads, and the Charvel 7-UP pre-serial. There were other musicians and for some jam-type songs, we'd have others not with our band come up and play with us. Cool idea I guess. There was one dude with a 64 Gibby SG w/ a Bigsby and an early to mid 60's Fender Princeton Reverb amp. He was a cool guy and played some great blues licks. Well, I broke into the SRV version of Lil Wing and it turned into a 15 minute song! Most excellent! So afterwards, I talked with a couple of guitar players who had asked me aboutmy rack, guitars, effects, etc. All was going great until I went to put my guitars back in the cases. I had asked a guy what type of guitars he played and in a drunken blending of 4 words at once, he pointed to my stand full of Jacksons. He said he had or has a Rhoads so I pointed to mine and asked if it was similar to that one. He says, "No, man, a Rhoads!" I imstantly saw that this conversation was going to go nowhere fast so I told him that I collect a LOT of Jacksons and that maybe be had a Y2KV or a King V as the Rhoads has the offset wings. Well, he'd hear nothing of the kind. Then he looks but doesn't handle my Rhoads and starts to describe the Kahler (it's a Schaller) and he tosses in a few more unintelligible things about the guitar. So that was that and he disappeared.
    Aside from that, it was a fun night and really crankin loud! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] This keyboard player showed up, hooked up all of his magical computers, midi controllers, etc., and accompanied us on quite a few songs. The guy was amazing! He started playing "Who's Cryin' Now?" by Journey and by the mid point of the song, the whole band had filled every spot in the arangement and I did a 2 minute outro solo.
    Dave, our drummer who's also joined up here, played awesomely as usual. So aside from a few small annoyances, it was a great night for tearing up the Jacksons. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: I met a true Jackson expert!

Sounds like a totally rippin' night dude [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Shame I don't have any improv. skills at all though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

Great news about the gig Tom. Glad it worked out. Ah, somebody else that appreciated Journey and Neal Schon's playing [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I haven't gigged with a band in a long time, mostly for personal reasons. I always brought a couple of guitars, but for years my Les Paul was my main axe (and it looks the part [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ).

You always have drunken "armchair" guitarists and assholes walking up to you during/after gigs. I fucking hate when people ask to play my guitars!! I don't ask you to fuck your wife, why are you asking to use my guitars?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll play again live. It always ends up to be a hassle for me I guess.

Keep on rockin Tom [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

When I teched for the band HairBanger's Ball (an 80's hair metal tribute band, in case you couldn't tell) I always brought a couple of guitars as backups. One of the guitarists (stage name Jefferson Jackson) played mine quite a bit. He made offers on my Charvel Model 2 and my Jackson JRS-2 but I wasn't selling either of them.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Tom, why don't you come clean bro..
          You don't bring 4 guitars because you are "anal about your tone"! You bring 4 guitars because you like to show off. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          Admit it. Face your demons!!
          We all bring guitars to impress and to make a statement. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          BTW... there is one of those drunk guys at every show. I had a guy come up to me after I played Spanish Fly-Eruption-the solo in Heartbreaker and finished it up with Revelation. You know what this totally bloodshot eyed long hair said?
          "Yo dude.. I heard you play one really good note!". I asked him what about the other 50,000 noted I played. He then drifted into the crowd.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] JG....you got me! Really though, The Rhoads brought that night was the one with the preamp (J-something or other...) and it has no clean qualities IMO. I HAVE to use one of the Soloists for clean stuff like some of the Dokken or Vandenberg (Burning Heart) we do. I have my TC Electronic G-Force and Triaxis programmed with a variety of clean, lush chorusy, acoustic presets and obviously I have a few cruchy rhythm presets. Then there are a few programs for solos (with delay, w/o delay, reverb, harmonies, etc.) So, yeah, of course I like to have lots of guitars up there cuz it makes me feel well hung, if you know what I mean [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But I truly did have a need for at least 3 guitars. One for heavy only, one for clean stuff with some drive when I need it, and one as a backup for either. I actually took a second Soloist (the pop art one) in case somebody needed a guitar. It has some dings and marks so I wasn't AS concerned if some drunk person played it for a song or two. As it turned out, nobody did and I was happy.

Comment

I hear you bro.. I bring multiple guitars for all kinds of reasons. From chicks to tone to guitars that just make me feel good playing. You certainly have a slew of killer guitars and what sounds like a killer set list. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
                You always have drunken "armchair" guitarists and assholes walking up to you during/after gigs. I fucking hate when people ask to play my guitars!!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">TRUE DAT! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Right on Brothers! My band is an 80s tribute act as well here in lovely Youngstown, OH! From "Hair TO There' we do it all! I make it a point to bring at LEAST 4 guitars to every gig and have at one time (before my tech recently quit) brought up to 7! Usually 6 electric, one dropped a half step for the Poison and Warrant and an acoustic! Yes, it's mainly just cock staus to show off my Jacksons, but I too find that certain guitars lend themselves to the songs. We cover quite a few Journey tunes (our sings smokes!) and I found that my SL1 EDS just SINGS for those Neal Schon leads!

I just recently snagged my first Rhoads and brought it out, I was BLOWN away by the sound of it thru the Boogie! WOW! Again it is more of a hair band guitar, using that on "Your Love" or "You Dropped a Bomb On Me" (RoodyRocker's FAV Song we play! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) hehe, just doesn't get it!

On a side note, nobody EVER touches my gear! That is why we always have someone onstage with us, to snag the drunken girls and guys who are 'wannabe' rockers when they gravitate towards the stage! Up unitl the Great White tragedy we were even doing a full blown pyro act in our shows...so that kind of kept them off stage. Now that we can no longer do it, the drunken wannabes are around a bit more! It is a never ending battle, but once I strap on one of my Jacksons and rip thru my Boogie, it is ALL worth it!

Be Cool!

Mike

Comment

Tom, on that Sunset Rhoads try this for a good clean tone: pickup selector switch in the middle with both pickups on, mid boost (third knob) all the way down, and volume backed off just a teeny, tiny, bit. Worked for me...
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I can vouch for Remcarr's ED SL-1. In between sets when we attempt to tune it its not unusual to find it dead on! Its like that guitar doesn't know anything else, always in tune. And thats even with heavy dive bombs!
                      I'm still waiting to hear my Ozzy, Dokken and Dream Theater by the way Remcarr [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] , screw the dance music [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rudy
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

OK Rudy, since A: Your my best bud and B: your going to NAMM and spending all your time doing and getting stuff for ME!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

OZZY: ROCK AND #%$*^@in ROLL!!! Let me hear you #*%^@ers scream, man! mummble mummble mummble @%^&!(^!@&^^%# SHARON!!!!!

Dokken: Shred Shred Shred, TONE TONE TONE...and I'm Done!

Dream Theater: (in 4 part harmony) meedley meedley meedley meedley meedley meedley mmmeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You and Good Night!

Be C0ol,
                          Mike

Comment

Never saw anyone cover all three that quick but hey its a start for you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X