Intro/Pickup Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro/Pickup Question

Hi, new guy checkin in. After lurking for about a month I have to say that this place is awesome! I'm looking to put a new bridge pickup in my model 3. Right now it has an EMG 85, but I'm digging the sound of my Dean '79 V more (I know the wood/scale difference has more to do with that...). Would something like a SuperDistortion give me that more organic/ bassier sound? Both guitars are tuned to Bb, if that helps. Thanks a ton!

Re: Intro/Pickup Question

put a dimarzio super3 in it, that should do the trick

oh and welcome

jon

Comment

Hey, welcome aboard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think this place is really cool/informative, too. I don't know if I could recommend a Super Distortion, as I don't have a whole lot of experience with DiMarzio. Congrats on switching from EMG to passives, though. I can promise your tone will be a whole lot more organic AND bassy right off the bat.

I don't tune as low as you, so bottom end isn't a big of a priority for me as chunky mids are. MY pickup is a JB, but you sound like more of an Invader guy. Check out the "Invader" thread in Tech Q/A and see what you think.

Comment

Thanks! I sound like an Invader guy, eh? The only band I've heard that uses those is Nile, and their tone sounds mud to me (but so does the production, and they were a little better live). That thread was good, though. Need to find out about output compared the the actives, cuz I do want a bit less. Time to research SD/Dimarzio return policies! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Super Distortions are somewhat trebly, actually. The Super 3 is a Super Distortion with some of the highs rolled off and the low-mids boosted for a good metal rhythm guitar sound.

You might also think about the Bill Lawrence L-500xl.

Comment

Looks like I'm gonna go with the Super3! The Invader sounds a bit too hot/bassy and Duncans tend to have this pick noise thing that bothers me. I'll let you guys know when I get ahold of one!

Comment

Working...
            X