Kelly-itis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly-itis

It's a disease and I've got it. I've been bit by the Kelly bug. I'm pretty new here, and the Kelly is what hooked me and reeled me in.

I'm a bassist and I'd post this story in the bass forum, but it's tumbleweeds over there.

I first got interested when I saw a KBX in a local shop. Picked it up and tried it, and was amazed at the speedy feel of the neck. Put it down and walked away because a) it was Eerie Dess and b) I was looking for something else at the time. But it stuck in the back of my mind and I started finding them online at blowout prices.

The soapbar pickups kept me away from the KBX because the only drop-in replacements would be EMG or Barts, neither of which I like. Then I discovered the KB1 had passive pickups in my favorite config - the reverse-P/J. I really didn't know much of anything about them, and really should have come here first to find out. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Got my first KB1 off ebay, which turned out to be a made in India factory reject. Sent it back for a refund, and resumed searching - for a made in Japan.

Found another KB1, MIJ this time. Much harder to find than a MII. But the quality of the fretboard wood is far superior to the MII, the rosewood is much denser and is clearly Central American instead of Indian. Well, I've had it 2 weeks now. And I've spent a lot more time trying to get it set up to my satisfaction than I have actually playing it. But I love the body shape. The neck dive really isn't that bad, if you've ever played a Gibson bass you learn to deal with it. The bottom curve is quite comfortable to play sitting down, and the top curve and rear horn give you an armrest when sitting and a lever to counter the neck dive when standing. Sometimes I find myself just staring at it on the guitar stand when I should be watching TV.

Well it's close, but still not what I expected. I guess I was expecting Japanese build quality on a par with my Ibanez SR800 (I know that's a dirty word around here), but it's just not the case. The hardware is Korean, and the build quality is more like a Korean Schecter/ESP or a low-end Ibanez. Probably good enough for a less experienced player that would be happy with those other basses, but I still wasn't satisfied and kept looking.

Somehow I stumbled across a '94 Kelly Professional this week. Seems these are even harder to find than a MIJ KB1. This has the black hardware I wanted and original Jackson pups, and from what I've read here about the Professional series it should finally be the "right one" for me. It should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. I can't sleep. I can't play my curvy Ibanez. I'm trying to drink more.

This will be my 3rd Kelly bass in exactly 3 and a half weeks. I'm really hoping the step up to the Professional will finally bust my nut.

Re: Kelly-itis

Are you the brother of ILL Mitch?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've never heard of ILL Mitch and I don't have any brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LMAO!!! Wasn't he the Russian rapper someone discovered online? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Welcome aboard Metal Mitch! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thx Toejam! For the record, I HATE rap and "rapcore", and don't speak ebonics [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes Ill Mitch is the greatest rapper of all times. He came to the U.S. all the way from Russia with a dream.

http://www.illmitch.com

And Welcom Metal Mitch, Jackson rules.

Comment

OMFG!!! That's too funny, is that the same guy from the movie Clerks?

Comment

I don't know if that's the guy from Clerks, but it would be funny as hell if it was!

"Would you like to suck my cock? Berzerker!!!" [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

"that's beautiful man!!"
                  grizzly adams (the snow baller!!)
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I like the "This board is fast and danger" t-shirt. Hell yeah!!!
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

What's up, Mitch. Enjoying your KB? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] My KBX is Trans Black.... I agree that Eerie Dess looks like ass. Just my opinion...

Aw damn... You had to break out the Clerks references! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

What's up Black Mask. Yeah, your KBX looks good. As far as my KB1 goes, if I was enjoying it I would never have found the Professional.

The Pro came in today and it plays like a real bass. I'm finally happy! In comparison, the KB1 is a cheap copy that just looks like a Jackson. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of it without losing my shirt... wait, lemme guess - ZERO BIDS!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X