X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestion for FMIC

Originally posted by SoCal Charvel:
    It all began here ... http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=1;t=001947

Pack a lunch if you are planning on reading the whole thing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, I guess didn't miss that one the first time around after all.

Comment

Stratheads, IMO, are like a kid smoking cigarettes - the thrill is gone when you get the "ok" for it. If FMIC finally said "ok, production model C/J Stratheads", I seriously doubt they'd sell any better than pointies.

Everyone wants the original San Dimas Charvel Stratheads because they were made in a place that doesn't exist in the Jackson/Charvel company, and it was taboo to use Fender's headstock. Period. Yes they can laser scan the sweetest SD S-head neck you can find and Mike Shannon can turn them out just like the old days but they simply will not set the world on fire again, because authorization kills the thrill of owning it.

And Chuckracer was saying that for the $3000+ it'd cost you to get one from the Custom Shop, you can buy a real SD Strathead Charvel from a collector.

Personally, I don't see how a return of Stratheads is a good thing. Part of losing the "thrill" is that the overall image of the Strathead Charvel is cheapened once it's officially licensed.

Jackson has a unique and trademarked headstock just like Fender, Gibson, and Dean. Stick with the Jackson headstock. If you want a Strathead, buy a Warmoth and have the profile customized, but for pity's sake stop calling for FMIC to ok the Stratheads.

The headstock doesn't make a guitar sound better or worse (regardless of what Moser says), and a particular headstock shape won't make you a better guitarist. It's the neck. If you want to request something, request the SD profile as standard on the new Charvel models (but not the Jackson models - change the Jackson neck profile back to the "flat spot" design).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, you make some decent points, Newc. But I disagree on some. The "taboo" effect will go away certainly, but not the "cache" of the originals nor the thrill of having one. Appearances matter. That's why we all go "oooh and ahhh" over new colors and graphics. Well, the same applies to stratheads. It's asthetically appealing to the eye and cool to be true to the originals. Not to mention this includes also wanting the neck profile of the original stratheads, as well.

Thanks for clarifying what Chuck meant. I get it now. However, first, what I know of San Dimas strathead prices, the price of a good original one will start around what a fully optioned-out custom shop would run you. Most go well above that. Second, many of us want new stratheads, custom optioned to our own liking. I'm just not interested in paying $2.5Gs or so and up for a used guitar. ...The collectors who do? I can understand it, and more power to them. They're killer axes and collectors pieces, too. But, for that kind of money, I want a new guitar optioned out to custom specs chosen by me. That floats my boat much more. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
          Stratheads, IMO, are like a kid smoking cigarettes - the thrill is gone when you get the "ok" for it. If FMIC finally said "ok, production model C/J Stratheads", I seriously doubt they'd sell any better than pointies.

Everyone wants the original San Dimas Charvel Stratheads because they were made in a place that doesn't exist in the Jackson/Charvel company, and it was taboo to use Fender's headstock. Period.

change the Jackson neck profile back to the "flat spot" design).

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I agree with your points being valid, but I disagree. I'm not looking for an old one, I want a Jackson strathead like my black one, but in white, with blood drip. I think I'd be hard pressed to find a white blood drip strathead dinky with a floyd, and if I could find a SD like that, certainly it would cost more than an old one.

I agree, bring back the SD "flat spot" neck shape. My '96 Warrior has it too, and it's my favorite profile.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I kind of think the strathead option on a custom shop would be simply offering an official Charvel (or Jackson) version of what GMW does so much of. Yeah, a GMW would still be considerably cheaper, but there are people who want the official brand name, no matter how well the GMWs are put together (and an awful lot of people swear by the GMWs).

There are people who simply like the look of the strathead coupled with what Charvels and Jacksons otherwise offer and would like to have a new Charvel or Jackson with that headstock.

It would be unlikely that I would buy a original strathead Charvel. And it would be unlikely I could find exactly what I wanted.

But I've said it before, I'm more of a pointy fan anyway, and the new Charvel Standards have got me going. But if a Custom Shop strathead was available, I'd be looking in to getting that done (and who knows, one of these special runs might be something that'd be fine for me).

Comment

Working...
            X