Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I LOOK LIKE the "MAD BOMBER" TYPE ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I LOOK LIKE the "MAD BOMBER" TYPE ???

but really don't pack the bags so tight, I have had bags explode open from all the shit stuffed in them.

Herein lies a disconnect between what many airlines increasingly require (smaller and fewer carry-on bags per person) and what would be the best for airline security.

But I'm not one to talk. I don't fly (and didn't prior to 9/11, either. I can only imagine the hassles are far worse than they were before then. And those hassles kept me from flying then... That and the stupid Wright Amendment. Why, if I'm flying to Phoenix, do I have to buy two tickets each way and go through checking my bags, security, etc. twice each way?).

Comment

One person's profiling is another person's common sense.

Comment

Just to clarify a couple of points guys:

Hindus don't wear turbans. Sikhs wear turbans. They should also wear a steel bracelet and carry a dagger at all times. Religious duty and all that. Drinking beer appears to be compulsary as well, but that could be just the blokes I know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "racial profiling" because it is backed up by indisputable statistical proof. No, not every black man deals drugs, not every white man is rich, and not every Middle Eastern man is a radical Muslim terrorist. Of those who were caught in possession of drugs, most were black. Of those who are rich, most are white, and of those who are radical Muslim terrorists, most are of Middle Eastern descent.
          Where's the problem, that someone got caught based on statistical probability or that it's too damn easy to catch someone based on statistical probability?

Either way, I agree that having airline security unpack your stuff is a pain (especially when it's been tediously packed), but the guys that crashed 4 planes on September 11, 2001 didn't look like radical Muslim terrorsts, either.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Of course, up until September 11th, the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil was committed by a clean-cut white guy.

Comment

> Thanks to the (insert ethnic jab here) that committed these acts,when I fly to a major pool tournament I have to check my cue case in as baggage. Some of you are probably wondering "what's the big deal,pool cues can't be that valuable",so let me explain. Cue cases are among the most lost/stolen items in most airports,much more easily stolen than a guitar case or a set of golf clubs,and can be just as easily destroyed by the baggage handling apes,even when stored in a tight fitting case like my 3 butt 6 shaft Whitten,with 1/8 Neoprene lining the tubes. My rig for tournaments would cost about 3 times what it costs for anything but the most radical Custom Shop guitar,and if it were destroyed,I'd have to talk my cuemaker into duplicating my cues,then wait a MINIMUM of 5 years for replacement. Needless to say,checking my cue case in as baggage makes me nervous. Why do cue cases have to be checked do you ask? They have been singled out as potential "weapons" by the powers that be at the FAA,along with golf clubs,exotic knife collections,etc. Like I am gonna use a 4000 dollar Cognoscenti one of a kind on someone declaring a jihad. Those of you that have seen/been in a barfight know that a pool cue is a very temporary weapon. Tommy D.
              "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

That sucks man... I got my bag off the carousel here at O'Hare and I noticed something was weird. I opened it up to grab an extra sweatshirt to put on under my coat (god I wished I could have brought the weather back here to Chicago) and I saw that they had "inspected" my bag by opening it and going through it. They left me a nice little note telling me what they did though...

I think my data cables and palm pilot cradle may have set them off...
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Could be nothing set them off.

It works on a 40/40/20 system.

40% of the bags get the "basic" check
                  40% of the bags get opened and are checked inside.
                  20% of the bages are opened and checked inside AND any object larger than say a soda can is checked.

On second thought, I'd better not post the numbers. I don't need the FBI calling me up. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Edited to put the numbers back in... Found the info posted on the web on a few gov sites.

Comment

Hey Doc...I was at NAMM this weekend and am still in CA at work for the week. I'm sorry to hear about that Dude. I know exactly how you feel. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] That really sucks.

If it's any consellation, I fly almost every week so have to put up with airports and that crap on a regular basis. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, just ask man.

What I would recommend you do, if you have not already, is either call the airline itself that you flew with, AA I think right?, and get in touch with a bagagge supervisor. (It may be better if you go down there with the articles etc. that were damaged). Then I would explain very specifically what happened and ask for the paperwork to file a damage claim that will allow you to list the cost of each of the items that were damaged. You may need receipts for the items etc. Use what you can even if going to get perhaps something from a camera store. (They are usually nice enough to help in a situation like this). The airlines ultimately have to take responsibility for the damage that is caused to your bag. (This exact problem that you had, happened to me when I was carrying almost $10,000 in artwork for my work and some of the art was damaged because they did not pack it back correctly [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] , just like yours, so I have an idea what to do). Once that is done, you should hear back from them momentarily either asking for more info, or sending you a check.

Depending on the claim form, I would possibly fill out maybe two or more forms for each item but that of course is dependant on the airline and there specific procedure. They might only ask for one form for each bag.

If the airline supervisor that you talk to does not help, then ask to speak to someone higher. And if you have to take it to the top, do it. Basically, make them take responsibility for the damage. TSA pretty much will not help. They haven't with me on three different occasions so I wouldn't even bother. Take it up totally with the airline. Only if you need info on the people that handled your bag for the AA claim, (which I doubt), would I take it up with TSA.

Anyway, let me know if that helps and since I'm in LA now, if you need me maybe to try and go to the AA counter before leaving friday night. I can do that too for you. (I'm flying United which is right next to American).

Again, I hope that helps.

Comment

Yeah, turban wasn't the word I was actually looking for, but I'm not sure what you call the head gear most Saudis wear. And if Hindus are so peaceful, why does India have all those nukes?

Comment

TD
                        Cue cases are among the most lost/stolen items in most airports,much more easily stolen than a guitar case or a set of golf clubs,and can be just as easily destroyed by the baggage handling apes,even when stored in a tight fitting case like my 3 butt 6 shaft Whitten,with 1/8 Neoprene lining the tubes. My rig for tournaments would cost about 3 times what it costs for anything but the most radical Custom Shop guitar,and if it were destroyed,I'd have to talk my cuemaker into duplicating my cues,then wait a MINIMUM of 5 years for replacement.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why not put your cue case in a foam lined rifle type hard case?? I think that might solve some issues. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Re: Do I LOOK LIKE the &quot;MAD BOMBER&quot; TYPE ???

I don't understand how you could complain about this. Sure it sucks, but it should have been expected. Anyone can be a terrorist. Had something gone wrong then the public would sit and ***** that there is not enough security when flying. Y

Comment

> That would solve my problems,if I could find a rifle case that it fit inside of. My cue case is about 8" in diameter,and 32 inches long,not flat like the box type that would fit in a rifle case. There is a travel type case available,but it only protects the case from damage,not theft,as it is just heavy nylon. A good sharp boxcutter in the hands of some baggage goon makes that next to useless. I am working on an idea for a flight worthy,theft proof sleeve to put my case in,but finding the materials locally is a major problem. Tommy D.
                            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by tmmsjm:
                              Yeah, turban wasn't the word I was actually looking for, but I'm not sure what you call the head gear most Saudis wear. And if Hindus are so peaceful, why does India have all those nukes?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">India has all those nukes to defend themselves from Pakistan,which if you don't know is one of the worst nations in the world for Islamic stupidness [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by tmmsjm:
                                Yeah, turban wasn't the word I was actually looking for, but I'm not sure what you call the head gear most Saudis wear.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">kaffiyeh

https://advances64.advances.net/part....cfm?item=7122
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X