Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAMM attendees...a few questions?

First...

So did any of you lucky lumps actually pick up one of the new Charvels and play it? If so, how was it? Specifially interested in the neck profile / feel for both the pointy and stratheads. Is each true to the originals? And did anyone ask why 1 & 3/4 nuts on the pointyheads?

Second...

Was there any pricing and spec. info available on the Charvel Retros? Are these stratheads still only single-hum & vintage trem, as displayed at the show? Or are there any options, like Floyds and/or multi-PU layouts? The pointyhead on the Dimartini is a curious choice, IMHO. Maybe a strathead is optional on that one?

Re: NAMM attendees...a few questions?

Yeah, what he said. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I started getting excited when I saw the strathead bullseye and the crossed swords, then I saw the pointy headstock and the vintage trem on the bullseye and [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

I'd love to have either of those guitars, but the DeMartini one needs a strathead, and the bullseye needs a Floyd. Maybe it's just me. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Why can't they just do what everyone seems to want? If they're going to spend the money to buy the lines, why do it this way? It seems like FMIC is being run by the girl I dated in Jr high - it's just tease, tease, tease. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by tmmsjm:

It seems like FMIC is being run by the girl I dated in Jr high - it's just tease, tease, tease. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know how you can cay that.
      They are putting out like a $20 whore at a shriners convention. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Damn near EVERYTHING folks have asked for has come to fruition.
      I honestly don't know what more folks expect out of them. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      They listened and delivered the goods.
      JMHO.

Comment

They listened and delivered the goods.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to agree with this. They have pretty much delivered what was generally asked for.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

you are probably right. I work for a company the suplies sub sytems for fabs. We make smaller products in different divisions and then if one division designs a sub system that uses parts from another we have to pay them for the parts. Albeit we get favorable pricing because it's our product.....

on a side note the stratheads do have a sticker on the back of the headstock that is a disclaimer referring to the licensing of the trademark ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

You know, you're probally right. I should have thought of that, that's the way we do things at our company, too. Everybody's gotta get their piece of the pie.
            Now the real question - what is one of bullseye's or swords gonna cost?

Comment

Don't take this as law as it's a guess .. Pointies $1300-$1500 and San Dimas $1800 maybe? ... don't know about graphic cost
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

i was there, and the 25th anniv. is fuckin' beautiful. the pictures do not do it justice.
                it's an awesome guitar, and it's a good thing fender bought jackson. there's some money behind jackson/charvel now, and who knows what could happen. the sky's the limit.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Were the stratheads and pointies - appropriately - different neck profiles? I'm not clear on this. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Hoping for the old wide & thin profile on the pointies.

And the Retros... Single hum & vintage trem only? Or are multiple PUs and Floyds options, like for the USA Standards?

Overall, I'd say this NAMM was a homerun. They certainly delivered the goods with the new Charvies, and kudos to everyone at FMIC and J/C who helped make it happen. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

...But I am still left wanting to custom order a strathead. Not gonna pull any punches on this subject, guys. Third straight NAMM show w/out this. They're definitely teasing - for whatever reason - and I've got blue balls now. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm thinking it's time to pull something together.

Comment

Well, it sure seems the listened to the collectors who wanted v-trems. I think most of the players here were wanting Floyded Stratheads [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yeah, as a player Floyds are the way to go.

The 1 3/4 necks are a strange choice for the standard profile, but I guess they got them from DM's guitars last year. Still, going back to the good old days, there was no standard neck size, it was just whatever you wanted to order, same price, which is how it should be now. Being able to order 1 5/8 is cool but there shouldn't be an upcharge for it.

Comment

I guess my only complaint is with the stratheads. I wish they would make that an option on everything. It's not like they have to pay a royalty anymore.

Comment

I haven't played an original San Dimas guitar. But I played just about every Charvel and Jackson at NAMM. The necks were mostly unfinished or satin finished or whatever it's called. The necks aren't super thin. They felt very nice and were for the most part very consistent. It could just be me, but the 25th anniversary Charvel neck felt a hair thinner than the rest.

Comment

IMHO, the NECK PROFILES on BOTH of the STRATHEADS {Flametop and Bullseye} felt VERY UN-SAN DIMAS-LIKE...To ME, they felt like VERY MUCH like the FENDER '60 or '62 REISSUES...Like a Louisville Slugger... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

TOO FAT for yer Daddy here !!!! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Nah .. those necks were similar to the old San Dimas 1 3/4 necks. I'm a bit dissapointed that the pointies were 1 3/4 also but the necks did have a great feel to them. I think Fender is really trying to do it right by the info they have gathered here. They made it a point to let us know they watch and listen on this board and IMO are trying to do it right. Along the way there will always be little stumbles but all the guys that wore the jackson name on their shirt were defintetly proud to be associated with the product and want it to be succesful. They have also asked to be able to pick our brains from time to time so that tells me they want it to be right ...... kudos to them things are looking up

Comment

Working...
                              X