Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Charvel Strathead w/Floyd Limited Run – Do You Want In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Charvel Strathead w/Floyd Limited Run – Do You Want In?

While the new stratheads are way cool stuff, I need a Floyd and multiple pickup layout. So, rather than whining about this not being offered yet nor being allowed to otherwise custom order the same, I’m going to try a positive route and attempt organizing a proposal for a limited run with these popular specs.

Don’t say it! …I know, I know. Many such limited run efforts have failed. More than likely, this one will, too. And, even if it works, FMIC may still not allow it anyway. …But it’s worth trying anyway, isn’t it? If we can pull together at least ten - hopefully more - locked-in orders, they’re likely to give it more serious consideration. So, here goes...

This limited Charvel strathead run would be as close to the new Retro models’ specs as possible. This will help to achieve the following goals:

- Keep the price as reasonable as possible, thereby attracting more potential buyers.

- Hit the most popular specs and limit the number of options to be decided, thereby increasing the chances of reaching a consensus. (Ex. ruling out graphics up-front to help meet both these and the price goals.)

- By making the specs as close as possible to an existing limited run model, hopefully we’ll increase the chances that FMIC and J/C will accept the proposal.

That means the guitar will absolutely have the following specs:

Alder strat body
    22 fret maple / maple oiled strathead neck, with skunk stripe
    Non-recessed Original Floyd Rose
    Multiple pickup layout
    Solid or transparent finish

In hopes of pulling together a dedicated group of enthusiasts, this effort is going to take a different approach. The guitar’s OTHER specs will be decided BY MAJORITY VOTE of the buyers. That’s right: YOU choose the specs collectively. One man, one vote. But you must COMMIT – up front, before the specs are chosen – that, no matter how much you may not like what’s ultimately chosen by the group, you still buy the guitar NO MATTER WHAT. i.e., You must be flexible in what you can live with AND you are locked-in on day one NO MATTER WHAT. If you attempt to bail after the fact, everyone else in the group would be screwed by your actions, and you’ll be forever be forced to wear a scarlet “D”, for douche. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Within EACH SPEC, you will be given five or less choices to vote on via e-mail. Those choices will only include:

- Type of finish – solid or transparent
    - If a transparent finish, the type of figured top
    - Color
    - Pickup arrangement (H-H, H-S-S, etc.)
    - Pickup make and models
    - Hardware color
    - Knob and switch layout
    - Choice of dealer to run this through

Ex. The first finish question will be solid or transparent. Then color range - red, blue, green, yellow, etc. Then specific color within the range. And so on.

Those options will gradually get narrowed down and chosen over several days. If, for any given spec, a clear majority winner doesn’t emerge, a run-off vote of the two or three most popular choices will happen. Results will be made public to all in the group via e-mail, so everyone will be given full knowledge of each decision involved as items are determined by the group. That format also means that once we have enough participants, all discussions about the project stay off the JCF and CC Boards.

To be safe, participants should expect – and be capable of – paying at a level equivalent to the Retros’ pricing ($2999 list) PLUS the custom options. Conservatively, that means you should assume you pay somewhere in the ballpark of $2,000 to $2,500 for a well-optioned axe. That’s only an educated guess. Maybe more, maybe less. And, as is typically standard for advance orders, assume that a 50% deposit will be due to the dealer if and when the order is accepted. That could be as soon as, say, three or four weeks, with the balance on shipment. Again, erring on the side of caution. Without knowing who the dealer is yet and what the guitars’ specs will be, it’s impossible to be more specific right now. (…BTW, I’m not going to waste a dealer’s time until we can get the group’s participants locked in and the specs agreed to.)

If we can get enough determined, dedicated people involved - we’ll spec out a killer custom strathead Charvel! And you just KNOW you were looking for something to do with that big tax refund anyway, weren’t you? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] …So, any takers? Who wants in?

(Please, the only topic for this thread is gauging response for those willing to committ under these terms and who have the funds to do it. If you are in, say so and leave an e-mail address. That’s all. Don’t post and tell me I’m crazy, and it’ll never work. I already know that. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But I’m going to try anyway. And don’t post suggestions or questions. We’ll sort those out later.)

Thanks for reading through all of this!

[ January 25, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Re: New Charvel Strathead w/Floyd Limited Run – Do You Want In?

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think this was a yes or no question.

Comment

Honestly I think that the other attempts at doing runs of guitars have failed because everyone wants their own custom. This might just work since you're trying to set the specs yourself.

Good luck.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

No
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I wouldn't be interested in that for fear of committing to something that I really didn't want.

I think people are willing to make compromises on features, but having to commit before those features are hashed out will turn some people, including me, off.

When you get it all hashed out, you might come back and ask if any more people want in based on your final specs. There might be some who are willing to join up on a guitar that's got the specs all laid out who wouldn't on something unknown, even if the "known" guitar wasn't exactly what they'd order if they were doing it themselves.

If that makes any sense. (And sorry I didn't simply answer yes or no).

Comment

shreddermon,

Before you put a lot of time and effort into this, contact Kevin Easton. He is already doing something similar.

Comment

I'm not in, but I would like to offer suggestions based on what I've seen of these attempts before, and maybe these suggestions can help in future attempts.

-Solid color only. The individual buyers can then put out the money to have it finished whatever color they want, or have a figured top added later. It takes less black paint to cover the wood/primer than any other color.

-Pickups. These should be generic/cheap as possible so that each buyer can put their own brand/combo in. All you'd have to decide on is pickup layout (h-s-s or h-h or h-s or h-s-h or s-s-s, though all of those combinations can be gained using switch wiring and push pull knobs and stacked humbuckers).

-Hardware color. Again, each buyer has his own taste, so I'd got with the cheapest option, as well as the cheapest unit available (say a crapass Floyd copy that had the correct spacing like a JT580 or whatever - this means the buyer is not stuck with an OFR color he doesn't want that he can't sell or trade evenly to buy the OFR he wants - cheaper cost means easily dumped)

Skimping all the way around achieves two goals:
                1-You get more money going into the woodwork and unchangeable stuff than splitting it into the stuff you CAN easily replace,
                and
                2-No one gets out of spending extra money on it. Some will spend more (adding a top would obviously be more expensive than just replacing the pickups and hardware and a refin), and some will spend less (those who will live with a black Strat, just change everything else).

Everything else sounds like it'd work. The hardest part would be getting everyone to agree to a specific fretboard.

It's a noble effort every time someone brings up one of these projects, and reality is for quitters [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - but it does usually end up being the Dream Date of whoever tried to start the project, which is why it always fails. Find a way to compromise, and you will succeed.
                Or spec it out with no options available whatsoever and find buyers to join you (like the JCF YCE series).

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by RP:
                  I wouldn't be interested in that for fear of committing to something that I really didn't want.

I think people are willing to make compromises on features, but having to commit before those features are hashed out will turn some people, including me, off.

When you get it all hashed out, you might come back and ask if any more people want in based on your final specs. There might be some who are willing to join up on a guitar that's got the specs all laid out who wouldn't on something unknown, even if the "known" guitar wasn't exactly what they'd order if they were doing it themselves.

If that makes any sense. (And sorry I didn't simply answer yes or no).
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I gotta say, that's what killed everyone else's attempt at making a limited run guitar. The desires of everyone on this board is too broad for one to just say, "OK, what do you guys want on a strat-head Charvel." Someone has to set a precedent and then look for folks who will buy into it. Again, good luck Shreddermon, I hope you find an appropriate number of folks who want the same as you do. Maybe it'll show others the path to follow.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Excellent points, Newc! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

-from a fellow cheapskate
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If you spec it out yourself, you might be surprised at how many people would agree with your choice. There are some similar-minded people on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                        I'm not in, but I would like to offer suggestions based on what I've seen of these attempts before, and maybe these suggestions can help in future attempts.

-Solid color only. The individual buyers can then put out the money to have it finished whatever color they want, or have a figured top added later. It takes less black paint to cover the wood/primer than any other color.

-Pickups. These should be generic/cheap as possible so that each buyer can put their own brand/combo in. All you'd have to decide on is pickup layout (h-s-s or h-h or h-s or h-s-h or s-s-s, though all of those combinations can be gained using switch wiring and push pull knobs and stacked humbuckers).

-Hardware color. Again, each buyer has his own taste, so I'd got with the cheapest option, as well as the cheapest unit available (say a crapass Floyd copy that had the correct spacing like a JT580 or whatever - this means the buyer is not stuck with an OFR color he doesn't want that he can't sell or trade evenly to buy the OFR he wants - cheaper cost means easily dumped)

Skimping all the way around achieves two goals:
                        1-You get more money going into the woodwork and unchangeable stuff than splitting it into the stuff you CAN easily replace,
                        and
                        2-No one gets out of spending extra money on it. Some will spend more (adding a top would obviously be more expensive than just replacing the pickups and hardware and a refin), and some will spend less (those who will live with a black Strat, just change everything else).

Everything else sounds like it'd work. The hardest part would be getting everyone to agree to a specific fretboard.

It's a noble effort every time someone brings up one of these projects, and reality is for quitters [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - but it does usually end up being the Dream Date of whoever tried to start the project, which is why it always fails. Find a way to compromise, and you will succeed.
                        Or spec it out with no options available whatsoever and find buyers to join you (like the JCF YCE series).

Newc
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good points, but the crap-ass floyd routings are angled whereas an OFR decking is squared. I'd say that this is a detail that would be best left as an OFR. I don't think anyone would object to having the OFR over the JT580-LP. Then again, I've had a lot to drink tonight, so I may not be thinking at all.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

I think you should just order a GMW.You will have a lot less of a headache and pay much less for the guitar.And the qulaity is just as good if not better.JMO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I was with ya until you said no graphics and strat body. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Guys, I know the comments and suggestions of "do it this way or that instead" are well intentioned. And I appreciate that. But these are not helping at all, and that's why I requested they not be posted. IMHO, these types of comments have only contributed to prior efforts' failures by - for those who are on the fence and might otherwise join in - helping convince them why "if only this were different" they'd jump onboard.

This should not be thought of as a custom shop order. It's a limited edition run where the buyers have significant input to some of the more important specs. Hence, in simple terms, it tries to strike a balance between each individual wanting to pick the specs of their dream custom axe and being flexible by accepting what the majority votes for the options.

Comment

Working...
                              X