Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 7 .tele -modify it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 7 .tele -modify it or not?

i got a charvel model 7 tele great shape.with 2 single coils.i got it as a trade for one of my guitars.i don't really like single coil pickups unless im playing something clean,so i was thinking of modifying the guitar and putting a humbucker in the bridge position,i hear these guitar are sorta rare,so the Question is should i or not,modify?should i leave it original,i'm thinking of keeping it not gonna get rid of it for a long while.and if it'll make it sound better why not?any suggestions will be helpful.of course i'm thinking of the resale value in the future . thanks.

Re: Charvel Model 7 .tele -modify it or not?

I generally don't like the idea of modifying guitars. The Model 7 is Japanese and not worth all that much money. I personally would have no problem dropping a humbucker in one. It won't help the value so you can easily have more money into it than it's worth if you aren't careful. It still probably won't play or sound like a USA model. You can always put a stacked hum. in there. No routing required plus you can put the original electronics back if you sell it.

Comment

yeah, i'd go the hot rails route, but that's me.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have a Model 7 that I love. I replaced the original pickups with a Cool Rails (neck) and a Hot Rails for Strat (bridge). It really rocks!

Comment

I have a Charvel legend I just got a couple of months ago (same as Mod 7 but with toothpaste logo). I swapped the neck for a maple/maple standard headstock and am planning to drop a hum in the bridge. My research for bridges led me to Warmoths website - they have a gotoh tele hum bridge for about $39 or so. It was the best deal I found. I'm going to try and post updates on the product in Q&A.
          I say, if you want the humbucker - go for it !!

Comment

hey kremit, you may have an issue with the string spacing on the warmoth bridge.. the charvel probably has a 2 1/16" spacing, and the warmoth stuff is 2 1/8". that's a lot when it comes to string spacing.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Mod the hell outta it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I tell you that the Charvel Model series guitars make the best base guitar for the money...I have a bunch of them that I swapped necks, pickups and put real floyds on. If you plan on keeping an instrument it shouldn't matter what mods you do to just as long as it makes you happy. I play first before I collect so if I don't play something I usually don't keep it...whats the point. Every guitar I have is modded except my polka-dot jackson...with the exception of a replaced bridge pickup with the same dimarzio...guess to real anal collectors since the solder isnt original its a parts mutt..heheh
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                The "Warmoth" bridge may be dead on, the Model 7 / Legend bridges were actually Gotoh bridges.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yep, so were the model vintage trems, which have a 2 1/16 spread. todd, you've got one of these guitars, what's your spacing measure out at?

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by LarryLangell:
                  .. It still probably won't play or sound like a USA model. You can always put a stacked hum. in there. No routing required plus you can put the original electronics back if you sell it.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why won't it play or sound like a USA model??? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I mean, if it's made out of similar materials, and has decent pickups.. it should sound as good.. and we all know they PLAY as well. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                    hey kremit, you may have an issue with the string spacing on the warmoth bridge.. the charvel probably has a 2 1/16" spacing, and the warmoth stuff is 2 1/8". that's a lot when it comes to string spacing.

sully
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Quit !!! You are scaring me big guy !!

It will be here hopefully Tues / Weds next week. I'll let you know the outcome.

By the way, Sully, what would be the proper fix if there is a difference in the spacing ?

Comment

well, there may be a few things you can do if the spacing is off, the main thing is find the bridge with the correct spacing... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

don't worry just yet, but lemme know if they're different and i'll see what i can come up with.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TEKKY:
                        The "Warmoth" bridge may be dead on, the Model 7 / Legend bridges were actually Gotoh bridges.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yep, so were the model vintage trems, which have a 2 1/16 spread. todd, you've got one of these guitars, what's your spacing measure out at?

sully
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">E - E string spacing 2 1/8
                        E - E saddle spacing 2 1/2
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Looks like you're good to go. I didn't even realize there was the humbucker tele bridge... Hmmmmmmmmmm...
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

good times! odd that the spacing would be different on the model series, but that's good news for sure!

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                              Looks like you're good to go. I didn't even realize there was the humbucker tele bridge... Hmmmmmmmmmm...
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yea, they're out there. You can find them at Stew-mac & Warmoth. I was checking them out for a tele project I've been (very) slowly putting together. I would've loved to have a humbucker bridge, but every one I checked out was stringthru only, and the body isn't. I don't really want to mess around drilling holes through the body so I got a single coil bridge that strings from the back of the bridge instead.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X