Expanding the Jackson line by force?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding the Jackson line by force?

Ok, when JCF01 was announced, there was very little (as I recall) interest in doing any sort of limited/special runs of custom-spec'd items, but since the news of JCF02's ressurrection, I'm seeing much more interest in the idea.

Now, Jackson's product lineup is sorely lacking in diversity compared to every other brand out there, and from what I've seen there's no active interest in adding diversity to the brand beyond replacing one model with another (no more RR2 or RR4, but we can get an RR5, no more KV3, but we can get a KVX, etc). If I'm not mistaken, the RR line has most of the diversity, offering both trem and stringthrough/TOM bridges, fins/dots, ebony/rosewood, binding/no binding, black/chrome/gold hardware, etc.
    Despite the fact that Rhoads was one half of the original Jackson catalyst (the other half being Grover's decision to use his own name), why are the other lines so narrow, yet the RR has the greatest diversity?
    Why are there no hardware color or type or pickup combo selections in the Soloist line? You can buy a Fender Strat that comes stock with h-s-s, h-h, s-s-s, Floyd, v-trem, hardtail, piezo-hardtail, or piezo-v-trem, and you can get an Ibanez with all of that plus h-s-h, and a piezo locking trem, or an ESP with all of that plus h-s, and on and on.

These features/options and this diversity in a model line are proven sellers from all the other major manufacturers, but Jackson is either not open to such changes or has not been allowed (whether by old or new management, or by someone at the Custom Shop directly) to pursue these same diversities.

So getting back to the original point of this topic: Given the recent attempts by several members to spec out a limited/special edition Jackson, is it possible we may yet see more diversity whithin the production models?
    Granted a single-hum anything is a narrow market (as has been proven time and again since 1988), and that has been the common denominator among the recent suggestions/attempts, but could the success of one of these attempts be enough to send a clear signal to Jackson that we want more than just what they're giving?

I mean, personally, I'd love to see a USA and import Soloist and Dinky come stock with h-s-h, three different bridge choices (locking trem, stringthrough, and Strat hardtail), as well as more maple boards (preferably with better inlays than dots, but also include dots). Others want a return of the Fusion model, and others want a Gibson-scale option on the V and other pointy models.

So does anyone else here think (or hope) that these "special runs" could serve as a call for modernization to Jackson?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Expanding the Jackson line by force?

Certainly Jackson/Charvel seems like they're listening to their customers more these days, and I would think that these custom runs, if they happen, would factor into that.

I think Jackson/Charvel is trending toward offering more options. They've added string-thru Soloists, apparently due to customer inquiries. But even more than that, look at the new Charvel line. The Standards are being offered with different fretboards, v-trems or Floyds, and apparently some other potential options. Perhaps that sort of thing will make its way over to the Jackson line in the not too distant future.

Comment

I think what they need is...new guitar designs.

Comment

i agree that Jackson lacks diversity in options on the models; the models themselves are enough.. but i would love to have an option on for example a Floyd or a String Thru import Kelly, which isnt available atm...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
          I think what they need is...new guitar designs.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I personally think Jackson has enough body shapes but definitely could start implementing the HSH pickup configuration and bridge options on the Dinky/Soloist shapes at least. Give Ibanez RGs some serious competition.

Comment

I am also for some more options without going custom shop. I would like to see 1 Humbucker and Short Scale options on USA Soloists [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

maybe the service that Easton Guitars is providing, to change hardware colour, pickups, etc for customers purchasing a new guitar, will provide Jackson with an indication that customers are demanding more than what is currently on offer.

Assuming of course that people are actually utilising this service. A lot of people seem content to point to a picture in a catalogue, pay full sticker price and be happy with whatever the manufacturer offers.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I agree with Newc. I think I had a thread about this topic a little bit ago. In my opinion, Jackson should reach out to a younger demographic by offering more guitars that are..

1) String through. Floyds are NOT popular with younger/more modern players.

2) MIJ. Guitars that are high-quality and moderate cost are the trend lately... Jackson is better at that than any other brand I've run into. MIJ Jacksons are where it's at for bang-for-buck quotient.

3) In more traditional shapes, such as Dinky and Soloist.

4) Offer things that separate from the competition, such as ebony fretboards, cooler inlays, and DUNCANS stock.

I believe, just as firmly as anyone, that Jackson needs to stick to their classic "pointy" shapes/styles and honor the fact that they're the best metal guitars in the business. Jackson is the best at what they do. They should never forget about Warriors, Kellys, King Vs, Rhoads or all the rest. They should never forget about wicked paint jobs, Floyd trems and sharky inlays....

But they should also offer more guitars along the line of the SLSMG, DKMGT and SLATQH (do a MIJ version). THAT would draw people in.

And can I please get a string-through, NO-Floyd, MIJ Kelly? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Pretty please?

EDIT: Sorry my entire post deals with drawing in a new audience, but I think it goes hand-in-hand with more diversity. Apologies for the tangent.

Comment

Good call Newc! I second your post. Diversefy the product enough to please everyone in some way. Custom shop prices are so far out of my league. I'd have to mortgage my house just to delete one pickup and change hardware color. Not good.

Comment

.....and shortening the Scale Jon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] We think alot alike my friend!! Jack.

Comment

Well, I am very pleased with the response Jackson has given us regarding options that we have been asking for. Personally, I love Floyds so I never really went for the thru models, but now since they are starting that, they have answered many peoples' calls. I agree with adding more options but I personally think if they add a ton of options on each model, finding the one you are looking for might be hard because of the production of all the other options everybody else is looking for. My idea, which I guess is pretty ridiculous would be to make them to order, which would basically doing everything custom. For example, if they did the Warmoth type of thing where you have all these options for a good price. I could see having certain options kept for the Custom Shop, like different neck profiles, ect. But I don't see how changing the color on a guitar you want should make it a Custom Shop guitar or changing it to HSH config. I guess I just wish the Custom Shop was cheaper, oh well.

Comment

i would also like them to make a choice of reverse or standard headstock on all models

they did this with the KE3 and RR3

reverse headstocks are so just much meaner IMHO

i dont really think that is asking for THAT much

Comment

An MIJ parts/made to specs line would be awesome! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It could come out economical too...

Comment

Well, Fender makes a LOT more guitars than Jackson, in numbers and models.

If you want Jackson to be that diverse, they'll end up having to mass produce them, much more than they are so now.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'd leave the following items as Custom Shop options:
                              -Neck profile on specific models (i.e. if you wanted a Soloist with a San Dimas profile, or with the JCF01 profile (fat like a classical), etc)
                              -Specific/custom graphics (i.e. customer-supplied graphics or the like)
                              -Top-mounted Floyd vs Recessed (but have some models include top-mounted Floyds standard - if you wanted that model to be recessed, or a recessed model to be non-recessed, you have to order a Custom)
                              -Finished vs unfinished through-necks - BUT I'd offer one of each model in each line with an unfinished neck (i.e. RR2, WR2, KE2, KV1, SLx, - USA and import).
                              -Specific figured tops (4A and 5A), though I'd offer a :figured top" line of nicely quilted and flamed tops (3A tops only - nothing lower, nothing higher) on all body styles.
                              -Custom inlay options (i.e. zig-zag, mirrored, mirrored and reversed, etc) but I'd put the new USA SLS inlays on a few production models, as well as reversed fins on production models (as was done before)
                              -Fretboard choice on specific models (see next section)
                              -Binding/logo color - you either get white or black binding standard, every other color is an upcharge

These things I would make/keep standard production specs:
                              -First, every current USA and import model would stay like they are right now: RR1 is 2 hums, ebony with fins, Floyd, etc etc. Bring back the RR2 designation for a model with stringthrough bridge, v-plate, ebony, fins, etc, BUT include production-line options like those listed below.

-Maple, Ebony, and Rosewood board models for each model line. That means an SL1, RR1, WR1, etc with a maple or rosewood board option. Put ebony fins on the USA maple models, and use ebanol on the imports (yes it's akin to plastic, but it costs about $0.50 to do a neck in it, as opposed to $350 - you want real ebony, you have to go with the USA model).
                              -Reverse/standard headstocks for each model - you make lefties, correct? Put a lefty neck on a righty body, it doesn't cost a fortune.
                              -Hardware color choices on each model. You have hardware bins labeled 'Chrome', 'Black', and 'Gold', correct? Where's the extra cost in grabbing from a different bin? There is none.
                              -24/22 fret models in each line.
                              -Pickup configurations - h-s-h and h-s on the Soloist/Dinky models (I have to say I've seen h-s-s on a Rhoads and thought it looked stupid, and H-S-H fits better visually on a Strat-shape than a pointy).
                              -Production graphics - HR Flames, Ghost Flames, Skulls, Lightning, Blood Drip, EDS, Silver/Black Dragon, etc, and other "Metal" themed graphics (since that's the market you're aiming for). USA and imports.
                              -Bridge choices - trem, hardtail, stringthrough/TOM on all model lines.
                              -Reverse fins in all model lines (MOP and Ebony on USA, pearloid and ebanol on imports)
                              -Short-scale fretboarded models in each line

These are the options that most people have requested, and are constantly disappointed that they have to pay Custom Shop prices for the simplest changes (i.e. Black hardware for Chrome, etc).
                              There are available material cost concessions to compensate for the added administrative and parts-per-manhour costs of implementing these and other production features.

For Jackson to compete in the Metal market against ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, BC Rich, and Gibson, Jackson is going to have to swallow the pill and offer the same diversity. You can get an Epiphone Les Paul with a maple board and black plastic block inlays, but you can't get a Jackson import with black plastic fins on maple?
                              You can get complex graphics on an ESP (Hammet and Lynch) but not on a Pro or X series Jackson?

I said it before; I'm opinionated and argumentative [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X