No announcement yet.

Expanding the Jackson line by force?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expanding the Jackson line by force?

I played a DX6, and was thoroughly unimpressed by the dot inlays, knowing I had an NASL at home with better inlays. Yes, it's petty, but cosmetic dressings do sell guitars.
    Other than that, I thought it was a good player. There's nothing wrong with the SLS headstock - no, it's not the old school 80's pointy, but that's part of what's driving players away - the association with Poison, Warrant, and the Wankers.
    A 3x3 headstock can open the door for Jackson, and they should keep it. What they need to ditch is the pearloid buttons on the KV2T and SLS (BTW, is that SLS in the 03 catalog really a USA model, or another "well we were, but now we're not" model?)

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"I didn't buy it because I bought an overseas-only model from a Japanese dealer and I think it's better."
      [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

"I didn't like the inlays because other, more expensive, guitars have better ones."
      [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

So why doesn't anyone else buy them?

Comment

BM is right...out of all the bands around here, mostly of younger dudes, I am the ONLY person I've seen who plays a Jackson. Most others are playing Gibson/Epiphone, Fender, and ESP. I notice that this is also what dominates the newer bands that are getting big. I really wish that Jackson could somehow shake off it's 80s stigma, but I don't see it happening easy. All in all though I really think that the guys running Jackson will know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
          "I didn't buy it because I bought an overseas-only model from a Japanese dealer and I think it's better."
          [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

"I didn't like the inlays because other, more expensive, guitars have better ones."
          [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

So why doesn't anyone else buy them?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because they are either not available over here, or they are prohibitively expensive. How is the price of the RR5 justified at nearly $1000, yet adding similarly fancy inlays to any other Professional model is outrageously costly in both manufacturing and consumer cost?

And yes, I turned down an inexpensive Japanese neckthrough for another Japanese neckthrough that cost me as much as many used USA Jacksons. Why? Because of the features, which were not available on any USA or import production model.
          No, not everyone has the same view of a given guitar - some would say "why buy the NASL when you can get a PRS?" or "why buy a Jackson that is not more of a traditional Jackson shape (Soloist)?" - but I do feel Jackson can expand outside the Metal niche with the DX6 and SLS if they offer a more "non-metal" feature set - aim it at the Electric Jazz/Fusion crowd (and those who go for the Brian Moore and PRS models).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The DX6 is a bolt on. Are you sure you're not thinking of the SLSMG? Satin black, EMG-HZ's, piranha inlays... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

The DX10D has sharks, and it's one of the lowest-end Japanese guitars they make (next to the JS30). The DX6 doesn't have tbem because... it just doesn't have them.

Comment

Working...
            X