dilemma: exchaning PUs on a Dinky without pickup frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dilemma: exchaning PUs on a Dinky without pickup frames

I have a Dinky DR-2 where the pickups are mounted directly into the body, so no pickup frames. Now I initially wanted to swap pickups but noticed that the wholes in the PUs - where the screws go through - have no windings and are bigger. That would mean if I wanted to keep the guitar this way I'd have to drill holes through the PU which would make it practically unuseable in a different guitar. Uncool!

So, what have people done who have changed their PUs on such a guitar? Drill the whole? Mount pickup frames? Of course mounting pickup rings would be the easiest fix but I really like the way the guitar looks with directly mounted pickups.

I guess this will be a "functionality vs. looks" thing in favor of functionality. Or is there another way to pop out those little metal inserts that are in EMGs so I can mount them directly?
    thanks a lot

Re: dilemma: exchaning PUs on a Dinky without pickup frames

I drilled my pups on my Hamer Diablo when i changed em. The point is, dont screw these too much or the could get through the body... its what a lame guitar tech did to the same Diablo a couple of month later for its annual checkup... lame bastard... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
        [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that's exactly how I feel.

Comment

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Maybe you need thicker pickup screws and springs?

Both string-thru Dinky HX models I've got have the pups mounted to the body. The first one I got, I took out the original Jackson pups and put a pair of passive EMG Select pups in them in the mid '90s without a problem, then a set of EMG 85/60 went in with no problem last year. For the other one, I put in a DiMarzio Tone Zone and a Jackson J50N with no modification either.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X