Official save your butt thread :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official save your butt thread

I have 8. My wife is cool with my guitars and is learning to play as well. She's the one that wanted the BC Rich USA Beast, Widow, and Warlock.

I'm selling some equipment to buy a Moser Custom Shop guitar. My wife is cool with that too.

She doesn't go clothes crazy; but if she wants to look good for me, hey who's complaining [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have 16 Charvels/Jacksons (15 if the one in the classifieds sells) and can't play any of them worth a shit!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My wife doesn't care as long as the bills are paid. Back in the early-mid 80s I was a very serious player and only had one guitar, now I only play a couple of times a week and have many. At that rate it would take me two months to play them all. Doesn't make sense huh!
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by RP:
        There's no difference between wants and needs as far as I am concerned.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, that statement certainly made me think...

Comment

Originally posted by donovan:
          OK guys. I just purchased two Ibanez Guitars in the last two weeks, a RG3102T and a USRG30.... why, because I liked them.
          The problem is now the lady of the mannor seems to feel it manditory to remind me of the money spent on this addiction everytime I want to buy so much as a pack of gum. "why do you need so many" "You can only use one at a time" "They all look the same" You know thw drill [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Of course it's perfectly OK for her to purchase a $40K BMW because she "wants back seats" [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          So here's your chance to help your browbeaten brothers/sisters in their endevour to spend every available funds on guitars.
          How many do you own and do you "need" them all?
          I have 14 now and I know it doesn't match many on this forum. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
          Do I need them all?
          yes......
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">she wants back seats because she wants to make babies.

Comment

she wants back seats because she wants to make babies. [/QB]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">After marriage, women don't want sex in the back seat of a car any more. [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I will never explain to woman what I do with the money I have leftover after all the essentials are taken care of. That could be why I am still single.

Comment

Soon enough, I will have my ultimate arsenal:

-1 Jackson Shannon Soloist tuned to E (on its way as we speak)
                -1 Ibanez RG560 tuned to Eb if I cannot sell it
                -1 Jackson KE3 Kelly tuned to D
                -1 Jackson DK27 baritone tuned to C (currently awaiting a case at Matt Crooks' house)
                -1 Takamine EF385C 12-string acoustic tuned to D
                -1 Yamaha Eterna EF-35 6-string acoustic mostly kept in E

I'm only 20 and have been playing for 3 years. I recently bought the Shannon Soloist and charged it to my dad's credit card, and wrote my dad a check for the same amount. He wondered why I'm spending so much, and said I should really save up my money since it's hard to come by. Yeah, right. What's that expensive habit he has called SMOKING A PACK A DAY? Come on. I think I will use this to attack him when the guitar arrives in a few days.

My mom, on the other hand, whole-heartedly supports whatever I buy with the money I earn. Bless her... she's had a hard life and knows that we're living very comfortably now and can afford many creature comforts, including her sons' passions for musical instruments.

Comment

All that I can say is that I envy every one of you who posted to this...I recently purchased my first guitar since I have been married and got enough grief from it [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] ...I can't wait to see the response when I start talking about another. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] The helmet idea will be put in effect here. [20 guitars, bmw's, damn i need a new job]

Comment

I am lucky in the fact that my wife, of a year, knew my spending habits early on. We were together 7 years before we got married. It doesn't phase her when she sees a new guitar in a stand somewhere. On the flip side I make sure that their is money in the bank account to handle the $150.00 pair of boots or the any new clothes she wants.

It looks like I will soon be moving to the Dallas area and I have a feeling that I will be buying a guitar from Easton Guitars at some point after wards. I just have to make sure we get some new furniture first.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Been married 18 years, and dated her 5 years before that. In matters of debate about guitars, it pretty much boils down to this: Fighting with your wife about guitars is like mud wresting with a pig. You end up a mess, and finally realize that the pig loves it.

After a while they all start looking the same to her, and she can't remember what I've had, haven't had, parted out, put together, etc.

I figure I pretty much do what she wants ever minute of every day, so she doesn't have too much to complain about and this is one area I don't take sh#t for.

Comment

I have been through several other halfs. I also have about 30 Charvel/Jacksons. The guitars lasted longer than the women but most were very understanding even when the guitars were purchased. It's your money, you only live once so why would you live with a women who won't let you follow your dream. Besides most of those guitars are worth a lot more today than when I bought them. Tell her it's called investing.
                        Just my opinion, Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

6 guitars (4 of 'em Jacksons); 2 more Jacksons on the way.....no wife. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

In an effort to "upgrade" my collection (by weeding out the less desirable) I've sold 4 in the last several months, which brings me down to 12 (11 if the one on ebay sells). My wife has, in the same time period, bought a $4,000 cello and $500 bow to go with it, plus just last week a $400 backup bow. These to go with her keyboard and flute ... I think we BOTH have GAS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The solution? We're buying a bigger house!

Comment

I was up to 5 or 6 for awhile, mostly Japanese C/Js and Carvins. I'm down to just a USA Soloist and an old POS Silver Street (whose quality hardware is worth way more than the guitar itself). I've had the Silver Street for years, and it actually does sound pretty killer--very Kramer-like--if only it didn't have a Kahler. Well, I guess I should include my San Dimas Jackson Concert bass in that total, as well...

I'll probably get another guitar in a year or so, but it's not really necessary for me right now. I don't need lots of alternate tunings at the moment, since I'm on a C# drop-tuning kick.

I took most of the money from my guitar sales and upgraded my recording studio gear. I now have killer studio monitors and a cool guitar preamp-speaker simulator setup that finally gives me a studio guitar sound I can live with. Makes no sense to have 6 guitars and crappy equipment on which to record them!!

My wife is pretty understanding, all in all. Our financial situation is pretty awful, due to the fact that we both have a mountain of student-loan debt that we'll be paying off until we're old and broken. But she's cool with my GAS purchases, as long as I keep it down to a dull roar and continue to put money in savings. GAS is fun, but don't spend the rent money... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay heres a woman's point of view:

As long as the bills are paid (its okay to put off the cable bill for a month though), the car payments are paid, insurance is paid, rent is paid, food is in the fridge....then its perfectly fine to buy a new guitar. I use the "they all look the same" line all the time, but I know theres a difference. He had a guitar fetish before he had me, and its IMPOSSIBLE to change a man. So, it was either learn to deal with the guitars, and all the pain that goes along with it, or find somebody else. Thats a no brainer. He really doesn't know how much money is in the bank, but if he spots a guitar he wants and I know it can be done...then its his, no questions asked. But, he also makes sure I dont want for anything either.

My only question is.....since we have basically no savings whatsoever...when he is too old to play anymore, will these guitars be worth enough to sell and live comfortably?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Mrs LPC

Comment

Working...
                                X