Do you have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have this problem?

I play my KV2 standing, about 40 minutes a time, and back to my reading, and I play few times a day. Now, few days later, my back, shoulder and neck are killing me. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I tried to play sitting, but I'm not comfortable in this way. What should I do? Play a soloist in my seat?

Re: Do you have this problem?

Be aware of your posture, and try to move around a bit as you play.
    You may also want to find a good Chiropractor, especially if you've ever had a back injury, as standing still for long periods like that is compressing your vertebrae.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks a lot dude. This problem got me thinking that I must be really lame. I mean, it's only several days and I developed this problem. But look at those guys really playing live or even touring. How come they don't have this problem? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

i quit playing king v's (i hunched over them too much) and went to kellys and strat styled guitars...as for live...personally i move around quite a bit [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

If you've never had a job where you use your back muscles a lot, or if you don't do basic back-building stuff, your back is not used to the strain of holding something heavy in one place for a long time.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Good advice from Newc. I'd also like to add some of my experiences:

It's kinda strange, but when I went to a lightweight guitar (my Rhoads) from having played a very heavyweight one (mahogany Flying V), I wound up with pain in my back, shoulder and neck. My body had probably adjusted to supporting the weight of a heavy guitar - so it tried to support a weight which was no longer there.

I'd recommend you to try and make your playing sessions shorter (difficult when the urge is on, I know) and have plenty of rest in between. If you start feeling tired/strained in your back/shoulders, take a break for the rest of the day, stretch and relax. If the pain persists, consult a doctor.

Also, try to find a sitting posture that you're fairly comfortable with - for those times when your shoulder is worn out, but you just have to play. =)

You probably already know this, but a sitting position I like with V shaped guitars, is to place the "notch" of the V over the right leg, with the neck angled up 45 degrees.

'bane

Comment

Buy a wider, thicker, softer strap. It will help immensely.

Comment

Oddly, a wide, thick strap gives me neck and back pains. When I moved to a thin Levy's 1" leather strap, all my pains went away. Go figure [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                X