• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Generator

Can we get a color option for Binding?

I want at least red...

kthx
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Re: Custom Shop Generator

Extremely doubtful, unless I stumble upon a new method for doing the binding.

Right now the binding is saved as part of the neck images, not created dynamically. You can only change the colors of things created dynamically.

Dynamically created binding would have to lay between the frets and the fretboard to look right, which means I couldn't create the neck as one image, I would have to have two images, one for the fretboard, and one for the frets, and then layer the dynamic binding inbetween.

Lots of work, and I figured my efforts would be better spent elsewhere, such as creating different body shapes, LSR tuners, etc.

Sorry. Maybe someday, but not likely for quite a while.

- Eric
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Ah, so that's how ya do it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How about colorizing the binding into several different colors (red, black, green, yellow) and then just adding a button to select those colors, as opposed to having the color faders?

And if you get a chance, can you darken the Gold hardware in that thing? It's a little too light [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, pal, you're still the King for doing this in the first place [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, dude, just adjust the brightness of your monitor. Wanker. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
          Ah, so that's how ya do it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How about colorizing the binding into several different colors (red, black, green, yellow) and then just adding a button to select those colors, as opposed to having the color faders?

And if you get a chance, can you darken the Gold hardware in that thing? It's a little too light [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, pal, you're still the King for doing this in the first place [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you do, please do it for inlays too! I really want to build a 24 fret Rhoads with yellow binding, inlays, bevels and logo (got the idea from the Holmes star).

And one just like it in green and one in white. Did the white one allready. Naturally.
          I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
            Extremely doubtful, unless I stumble upon a new method for doing the binding.

Right now the binding is saved as part of the neck images, not created dynamically. You can only change the colors of things created dynamically.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Umm... so is the headstock and neck two seperate images?

I noticed you can go all black binding, all white binding, black neck & white headstock, or white neck & black headstock....

So you have 6 different images you're working with? :guh:

I don't see why you couldn't add a few colors, it shouldn't take much time at all if you have the original graphics and know what to resize at. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Eh, let the guy work on the other body shapes first! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

NO [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Alright, guys. Here are a few responses to your questions and comments.

Newc:
                  Yes, I could create additional binding colors in the same manner I created the black and white binding. Keep in mind that each neck has 6 variations: (3 types of wood x 2 fret quantities). So for each binding color, 6 additional neck images must be added. I am not as concerned about the work required as I am about the files size getting completely out of hand. I was leery when I saw how large the file size increased when I added the black and white binding options; adding 4 or 5 additional colors would really increase that. Maybe file size is a non-issue since I do want to release a CD at some point.
                  Incidentally, headstocks do not have that issue, since the binding could essentially sit on top of the headstock and you'd be good to go. It's the darn frets on the fretboard that screws things up.
                  In retrospect, I probably did not approach it in the right manner from the start; I should have made the frets separate from the fretboard itself, and it would have been easier to add the binding. I honestly didn't even consider having binding as an option, but Brian McDonald thought it would be good to add (he had "sneak peaks" of the generator before it was posted on the forum), as did Jeremy. By that time, the necks were done, so I came up with the existing solution.
                  So in summary, there are some options to improve it. It's just a matter of available time vs. what people want most.
                  Regarding the gold hardware. I've said it before; gold is a real bear to create from scratch, and it is hard to keep it from looking yellow, orange or dingy. I can look at this at some point if it bothers enough people.

KE:
                  Yes, color adjustable - inlays are in the plan. I wanted to do this originally, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust all of the inlays in a given selection from one set of color sliders. i.e., if you selected sharkfins, adjusting the color would only change the color of the inlay at the first fret, and not any of the others. I believe I have cracked that technical issue, so look for adjustable inlays in the future! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Xeno:
                  Yes, the necks and headstocks are separate images. As I said earlier in this post, I could have easily made the headstock binding adjustable. It would have been similar to pinstripes, but they would have surrounded the headstock instead of being on the body. It's the frets that were screwing things up with the neck binding. I didn't make the headstocks adjustable because I couldn't do the necks, so I wanted them to be consistent. No sense having green binding on the headstock, but not on the neck.
                  Yes, I can create a few colored bindings, if everyone can agree on what colors.
                  I actually had a creme binding option, but it looked just like the white binding, so I deleted it.

If some of you saw this post:
                  Guitar Gen moving forward

You'll see I am working on the next set of changes. There's no rest for the wicked.

- Eric
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                  X