Floyd nut question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd nut question

I'm assembling a mutt for my two boys to play. I started with a PS-4 body, added a 24fret neck (not sure if it came from an actual PS-4, but looks just like it (fret market dots to the left side, 24 frets, reverse headstock). Anyway, I threw a pick up in, wired it up, ete., and everything is cool, except....
    The floyd nut seems to be too tall. It's an original floyd nut, R3, and the strings are a full 1/8 of an inch from the fretboard coming off the nut. All of my other guitars are half that.

So, my question is - are the nuts that come on imports, such as the PS-4 shorter than an OFR?? If so, does anyone have one I can buy?

Re: Floyd nut question

Well, the PS4's didn't come with an OFR, or an OFR nut, both were copies. Try and R2 nut. Some of the Model Charvels were an R2 nut size.

Comment

Did you route the proper amount out for the nut? Sounds like you could just take the nut off and route some out and put it back in to lower it.

Comment

I had the same problem. I busted two of the 3 locking nuts on my DK2. The OFR and the Floyd Licensed use two different sized screws for the nut. The real problem, is that depending on whose Floyd Licensed you have, it's all different (for the most part). I spent hours upon hours looking for a replacement. I finally contacted KEvin Easton at Easton Guitars and he had what I needed. I'd give him a try. Good luck.

Comment

Don't the Floyd nuts that come on Jackson's have a different mount on them these days? The one that mounts on the string side, without the two counter-sunk screws in the backside ala Kahler's floyd deal? Seems it weakens the scarf-joint dealio (who knew? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] ). I know if ya order the Fender OFR standard R# whatever, it ships w/the counter-sunk old-school ones. Sounds like that's your problem....IMO

But then what the F do I know [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

EVhWannabe,

If that is the Reverse neck you got from me , then it didn't com off of a PS-4, it was a DX10.

When I first got that guitar and tried to find out what it was a lot of guys misguided me because they swore that a DX10 did not have that kind of neck on it nor could they have a Mahogany body.

But it definately was a DX10. I don't know if that helps you or not, but it had some kind of cheapo alloy nut on it, and one of those single locking trems.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Everyone - thanks for the help.
              Genebaby - it's the height, not the width that is the problem;

Marshalltone - I could further route the neck, but this is the way it was made, so I'd prefer to just find the matching nut;

Noe Pacheco - I'll see if I can contct Kevin for help. Thanks.

jhale667 - it's not the mount or the screws - when the nut fits flush against the route as it is supposed to, the strings are too high off the neck - there has to be a nut made that has less height.

Rick - not sure who I bought it off of. It is 24 fret and has the Jackson logo only (no "professional" or anything else). It doesn't have a truss rod cover (so no mention of model). As I said, all of the fret dots are pushed to the left, as was with the ps4 - but, ever pic if a PS4 I can find has "professional" with the logo. The only pics of DX10's I can find have shark fins.
              It looks just like this one without the "professional" added to the logo. Any ideas???:

Comment

Looks like a 95-ish Dinky reverse or DR-5 neck. The offset dots were on those and a couple of fusions. You might want to double-check the neck scale before you go further.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

My PS4 had the word Performer on the headstock like in the pic. I didn't think the PS4 had the word proffessional on it. On my PS4 I switched to a DR neck that was from one of those "stone" finish Dinky Reverses and it's awesome now.

Dave->
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't see the word performer... Duuh, I think I need glasses.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Yea, That is the one you got from me, unless you bought 2 just like that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ,it definately was from a DX10 though, it was hanging in the shop for a LONG time when I bought it and that was like 3 years ago.

Black Mariah did confirm that there were some DX10's with that neck and made from Mahogany.
                      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

So does that mean that the JT500 or JT580 or whatever that trem was had a nut that isn't as tall as an OFR? The route on this neck doesn't go as deep as the entire fingerboard, whereas all of my OFR nuts are routed about the depth of the fingerboard.

Thanks for all of the info, by the way.

Comment

send me the mailing address and I'll drop ya one in the mail. The problem is the shelf is cut for the ever popular BH300 nut and well it doesn't understand the R so it's rejecting it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, send me your addy and you'll soon open the mail box and it'll be there. Going to bed now...drunk and sleepy...again.

Comment

Kevin is the best. I'll email you. THANKS

Comment

Very nice of you Kev....... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X