Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Projects ?

Hi

I have seen quite a few "employee projects" for sale all over the web and i just wondered whether Jackson allow people to do this? Do they let employees take components and stuff home to make their own guitars? or do they have to buy the parts?

Re: Employee Projects ?

Not anymore ...but they used too
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Back in "the day" it was real common. The custom shop would let employees build stuff for themselves and a lot of stuff went out the back door, some serialized and some not. I won't name names but even the bigname guys there took stuff out the back door. I have a 93 24 fret Dinky gold logo USA Charvel that an employee did and even serialized it.

Comment

I had a non-serialized SD Soloist back in the day that I got used in Portland, Oregon. I assume it must have been an employee project or an 'artist guitar', maybe? Don't know how it made its way to Portland, but it was a great guitar anyway. Oddly, though, it was an absolutely dead-standard Soloist Custom, apart from the EMG pickups and the lack of a serial #.

Comment

This was encouraged in the old days at Fender. They did it to rip off employees ideas for future upgrades and models. A couple of employee guitars that have become well known in Fender circles is the Paisley Strat (which there are actually reissues of) and late 60's-early 70's hollowbody Strat.

Comment

Kimber makes very nice .22 rifles and many competition shooters use them. Why did you leave there, just curious? I would think that would be a cool job [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I used to work for a company called Kimber of Oregon. They made high dollar .22 caliber rifles. I saw more parts go out the door than you could believe. There are probably truck loads of rifles with no serial numbers on them made by employees.
              They would take 1 part at a time and assemble them at home. Its pretty common.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                Kimber makes very nice .22 rifles and many competition shooters use them. Why did you leave there, just curious? I would think that would be a cool job [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jack.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I actually left when they were going under. They have been shut down and re-opened many times. I was there from 1982-1987. I beleive they are now just plain old kimber and not kimber of oregon and are based in New York...or something like that. It was a fun job...I did alot of work in engineering and was involded with there big bore project. Got to play with the .505 gibbs monster.
                What a cannon that is. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X