Jackson Guitar Generator Progress Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Guitar Generator Progress Report

Thanks for the kind words and your patience, guys.

RR_1525: Wow. Glad to hear you guys are using it to aid in your real-life decisions. That's great.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Well obviously there are a hundred things that could be added to truly make the generator perfect for everybody. Me personally, I would like to see the rest of the shapes including the Shortwing LTD, but until then I will be happy with what is available. AlexL has said there is a reason why he is doing things in a particular manner and that's good enough for me.

Great job bro, looking forward to the future updates.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

This is not a reply to any of the posts...just a congrats on your generator. This is a very cool application and I look forward to using it to come up with custom pictures. It sure beats the custom shop order form on the jackson website. Thank you for creating this program.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
          If anyone else would care to create the custom binding interface, please do so and forward me the source code and images.

I will stop work on everything else until I recieve those.

I have explained in a previous thread why I did not implement custom binding. If you understood my explanation and have found my logic to be in err, please fill me in on a more efficient way of doing it.

I know we need more shapes. I know everyone wants custom binding. I know people want wood grains. And bursts. I have also explained each of these points in various threads, so do a search and find the answers.

I have hundreds of hours into this project, and it has cost me more money than it has made. I haven't complained until now, but if colored binding is that damn important, design your own generator, and have the admins pull mine and post yours. I can handle one of these [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] as well as the next guy but for f**ks sake, enough is enough.

Later.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow AlexL, chill out. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Geez, I wasn't giving you shit I just made a fucking statement. You don't need to be a... well I'll just keep that sentiment to myself. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I even went back three pages to see your reply in the other thread which I missed.

If you care to foward me or someone else who is proficient, the seperate source headstock and neck images, I'll change the binding color, and I'll spend as much time needed to get them looking right.

I know this looks like shit, but I did this in less than 3 minutes:

<center></center>

[ February 21, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Tekky, is there any reason you edited my post, but not DinkyJacksonMans on the previous page? The image looks crap compressed like that...

Here's a cropped down version... if that helps... if not delete this post... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

[ February 21, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Comment

Xeno:

Here's the deal. First off, I appreciate your offer to help with the images. That's cool of you, and I am sincere when I say that; no [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] , no [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , no [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] , no bs. Honest, that's a nice offer. But the issue isn't really creating the images - that isn't the part that makes it difficult.

That approach has two strikes against it. The first and biggest issue is file size. For the necks alone, just creating red, green, and blue binding options would require 18 different images to be added to the generator, which would probably increase the size by 20%. The benefit added vs. the increased file size seems a little off kilter to me. I can add a lot of other options that will affect the file size a lot less which to me seems a better trade off. This is a web application, and when you design for the web, file size is an issue. Not everyone has dial up yet. Hell, if Comcast keeps jacking up their prices, I'm going to be back on dial up pretty soon.

The other problem is one person's green is another person's neon and another person's olive drab. I would bet money that as soon as red, green, and blue binding was added, someone would complain that it wasn't the right shade of red green and blue. And then we'd all be right back discussing this same issue.

So, the best way to do the color is to create it dynamically like the body color, bevel color, pinstripe color, pickguard color, headstock color, background color, and now the inlay color. And unfortunately, I didn't create the neck and fret structure in a way that easily allows that. We all know that the frets need to lay on top of the binding for the right visual effect. Lord knows that if they didn't, I'd have someone else crawling up my anus about that issue. And I can't fix that without a complete rework of the source images and the source code for the neck option. And, plain and simple, I don't want to do it. It would take a ton of time that I'd rather spend with my family, playing guitar, or making other additions.

Any attempt at this type of recreational tool will be met with supporters and detractors. Just ask our admins. Fortunately, the bulk of the people who use this forum, and who use my generator, offer up praise and support. Others seem intent on criticizing the details. But the reality is, you can't please everyone all the time.

I am proud of the work I have done on the generator. But, I don't get paid for my work on it, and there is very little motivation for me to spend countless hours reworking a section of it that meets 95% of everyone's needs. Your modification of the Rhoads looked decent, so you obviously have the means to add some finishing touches to the guitars you generate. For now, that will have to be the solution.

I am done talking about this.

For those who like what I have done, I appreciate the kind words, especially in this thread. More good things are on their way. For those who don't... peace.

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
                if they didn't, I'd have someone else crawling up my anus about that issue.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nice visual... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I very much appreciate your work as well. As for "exact" color, I don't think you can choose very many different colors of binding, just what the binding is available in. Anyways, thanks for making it all possible. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    Nice visual... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. Glad you liked it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
                      Anyways, thanks for making it all possible. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No sweat.

- E.

Comment

I very much appreciate your work as well. As for "exact" color, I don't think you can choose very many different colors of binding, just what the binding is available in. Anyways, thanks for making it all possible. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, but it can give us do it yourselfers a great dream tool [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again Eric

Dave->
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Tekky, is there any reason you edited my post, but not DinkyJacksonMans on the previous page? The image looks crap compressed like that...

Here's a cropped down version... if that helps... if not delete this post... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First and foremost, CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!! Yes, I used the F-word, that's how much I dislike anyone insinuating that I'm showing favoritism.

Now, to answer your allegations:
                          1) At home, I currently have a 15-in monitor. When I see an image of that size I modify it so I can read the posts without having to always scroll to the right on every single fucking post! ('m sure everyone else on this board who doesn't have a monitor bigger than 15 inches appreciates it.**)

2) If you look and take the time to look carefully, you'll notice whenever I re-size an image there is a hyper-link to the original, anyone can click on it and see the original sized image.

3) Chances are when I saw Jacksondinkyman's post, I was in the office, where I have a 19 inch monitor. If I did notice that it would jack up alignment of the posts, I must have forgotten it by the time I got home from work. If it makes you happy, I have gone back and changed the size (and added a fucking link to the original) of his post as well.

** Another admin duty that goes unappreciated by people who always have to find something to b*tch about.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Tekky, is this a bad time to ask about gallery updates? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I keed, I keed! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I love it when he talks dirty...... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                                I love it when he talks dirty...... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hate you. Here I am all pissed off and you go and post this, I am sitting here laughing my ass off. Bastard! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X