Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG s/s/81 -vs- sa/sa/81 Not sure which to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG s/s/81 -vs- sa/sa/81 Not sure which to get?

OK...All this talk about EMG 81's & 85's running at 9v & 18v has me all stirred up. So I decided to get an EMG set for my SL1. I've had 81's in the past, but never had a matched set with sc's before. Has anyone out there had either of these....s/s/81 -or- sa/sa/81....got any suggestions? I assume the sa/sa/81 has active sc's, and the s/s/81 has passive. I'd like to try running them at 18v, but I don't want to screw anything up.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Re: EMG s/s/81 -vs- sa/sa/81 Not sure which to get?

The EMG S is an active pickup with a ceramic magnet. The EMG SA is also active but uses alnico magnets. The SA is slightly warmer but has a slightly lower output. Think of them as the 85 vs. 81 single coils. Of course they're of the stacked humbucker design with the tone of a single coil.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Has anyone tried mixing the SD livewire hot singles with an EMG81? They seem like a pretty compatible setup.

Comment

Thanks fellas... I just ordered a set of sa/sa/81. I found a website offering NOS (the solder type) for $120 shipped. It includes everything (pots, inputs, switch, batt clip). I know it's gonna be more of a pain than the plug-in type, but hey, at almost 1/2 the cost, I'll break out the soldering iron.....Can't wait
        >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Working...
        X