So I got my new Schaller Floyd...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got my new Schaller Floyd...

I ordered a Schaller Floyd last week, to replace the JT580POS. Advertised as NOS, I got a decent price on it - not good, but at least it was less than a new unit. And today I got the package. Joy!!!!!!!

I had a few worries, mainly about the fit to the route and the size of the trem post bushings. So I open it up and examine the bridge - it's in mint condition, so I didn't get screwed. It came with wood screws, but the seller threw in a couple of OFR posts with bushings. Great!

So I rip the JT580POS out of my guitar, remove the old trem posts and start measuring in the new bridge - it fits the route perfectly and has space to spare back at the finetuners. I stare in bliss at my new purchase that will soon sit in my Jackson. I take the bridge out again, admiring the beauty and craftmanship and... ...the wrong type of sustain block. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I got one for a non recessed setup - it's sticking out the back of my guitar.

I've been headbutting the wall for a bunch of minutes now, and I have a sad sad Rhoads sitting in the corner without its new bridge. I sure hope I can get hold of a shorter block without too much difficulty... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'bane

Re: So I got my new Schaller Floyd...

Have you tried swapping the blocks?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
      Have you tried swapping the blocks?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm...that thought never even occured to me. I'll have to check it out.

'bane

Comment

Haha, it works! You're da man Newc! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Right now I'm just a little bummed about having to use the pot-metal block off the POS, when the Schaller should have a beautiful nickel-plated brass block. But I can live with that until I can find a replacement.

Thanks for kicking my brain in gear. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

The material of the block is irrelevant to the tone, it's just there to hold the springs to the body and keep the baseplate in place.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

so...does it sound better play better feel better? come on now...fess up!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I actually have a mutt with a long block floyd installed in a recessed cavity. I have just been playing it that way. The bridge is super old and worn and I plan on replacing it soon anyway, but it still works fine.

Comment

That is good to know it fits, because if I don`t like the JT-580 that comes with the Special run DK2, out it goes and in goes a Schaller Floyd or Floyd Pro. I don`t know how the Pros are, but I have guitars with both the Original style Floyd and the Schaller Floyd, I think the Schaller Floyd is a better design and I like the shorter pins, it just feels tighter. Jack.

Comment

By the way, does anyone know where to get a shorter block?

Comment

Lee at GMW can get you one. Ask for a 32mm one.

Comment

Thanks. Any idea what it should cost?

Comment

Not too much. It is funny how a lot of them come with the 42mm block for the non-recessed look. My new Schaller has the 42mm and even the behind the neck bolts for the locking nut!!!

Comment

Schaller even makes the originals floys soi what on earth is a schaller floyd, the licensed ones?

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat:
                            so...does it sound better play better feel better? come on now...fess up! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I haven't had much time to fiddle with it since my last post, but I guess I'll have to fill you out on the progress, eh? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

After I swapped the blocks like Newc suggested, I proceeded to put the new trem post bushings in there. I cut the lower end off a drumstick and used it with a hammer to pound the bushings into the guitar. My neighbors didn't like that, considering it was 11PM already. "Oops." [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The next day I mounted the bridge and strung it up with a new D'Addario 010-052 set. The springs that came with the Schaller were too soft, so I ended up putting the springs from the 580POS back in there. As I was tuning it up, two strings popped out of the bridge. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] I recut them and put them back, tightening the string lock screws a little more this time. When I was almost done, the phone rang and I had to up and leave, and that's where I am right now. Hopefully it will get some play time later tonight, but I'll have to intonate it as well.

What I have noticed though, is the positive feel in the finetuners. Definitely an improvement over the JT580POS.

'bane

Comment

If it helps, I get my shorter trem blocks from allparts (Pincotts in the UK). It`s so frustrating that Schaller ship them out with the Longer blocks. The other thing is that they also ship them out with R1 Locking Nuts rather than the R3`s which 90% of the time, is the one I need most for my customers.

Comment

Working...
                              X