Ivory vs. Snow White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivory vs. Snow White

can anybody supply me a picture of each of these finishes... I'm just curious as to how much of a difference there is.

none of that little catalog square bullshit either. I want whole guitars in the pictures!

Thanks guys.

Re: Ivory vs. Snow White

Second. Actually, it would be great if there were an online gallery of all the colors Jackson/Charvel has offered/does offer. Particularly for the current colors, that wouldn't seem to be an insurmountable task. Anyone with web space? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It would be even better if the Jackson site had a rollover feature which would allow you to see what each model would look like in each color, like the car manufacturer web sites have, but failing that, the gallery idea mentioned above would be really useful.

Comment

Wellllll... Companies have to be careful about that sort of thing for computer-based delivery since any given monitor will reproduce colors differently. It is obviously a good idea to see the difference between crimson swirl and silver swirl, but the difference between ivory and snow white, or blue and cobalt blue, could be indistinguishable on many computer monitors. Then, if someone placed an order based solely on what it looked like on their screen, and in the end they didn't like it, they could raise quite a stink about the whole thing.

In the world of catalogs and print medium, there is a lot more control over the accuracy. Print medium adheres to what is known as PMS, or the Pantone matching system where you can get extremely accurate representation of the color you are trying to match.

As a print designer, you can get a set of PMS color swatches to base your color choices on, but you are supposed to order a new set of color swatches every couple of years, since your original set of swatches can fade over time - that is how tightly controlled the color system for print is.

And yes, it actually is called "PMS".

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

DO a search for NAMM. Someone had pics posted of the ivory and snow white RR model next to each other. I just receved an RR1 2 months ago in Snow White, and I can tell you there is a huge diffence in color. I have seen Ivory up close as well on an RR5. The SW is super white (beautiful) and the ivory is, say, white that has oxidized over the years (for lack of a better decription). Which incidently, may very very very slowly occur to SW. But it will take years for this to happen - years. Also do a search with my member number because a member posted a pic of their white RR1 for me then. Sorry, I dont havea pic yet to post but whne I do it will be sent to the gallery. Hope this helps.

Comment

Interesting points about varying online color rendering, but Jackson is already subjecting themselves to that same theoretical liability by posting the online pics they have up now of guitars they sell. This would just be doing it on a bigger scale. If they were worried about liability, they could just post a disclaimer, though as noted previously, other companies are certainly doing it to the extent I'm suggesting (Toyota, etc.).

Also, aside from adding that feature to the Jackson site, the gallery idea would not expose Jackson to any liability, as it would not be tied to the company under the plan suggested above.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
            Interesting points about varying online color rendering, but Jackson is already subjecting themselves to that same theoretical liability by posting the online pics they have up now of guitars they sell. This would just be doing it on a bigger scale. If they were worried about liability, they could just post a disclaimer, though as noted previously, other companies are certainly doing it to the extent I'm suggesting (Toyota, etc.).
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True, but I think Jackson's liability is limited since they are not posting the colors for comparison, they are just saying "Here's a red RR1 with black bevels", not "Here's a red RR1, a candy apple red RR1, and a metallic red RR1." Along those line, I don't think the car manufacturers tend to offer colors so similar in shade/hue, so they are avoiding strict decision-making comparisons by showing teal vs. forest green.

But hey, there's no reason Jackson couldn't make a nice fold-out page in the 2004 calander showing all available color swatches, and do it using samples larger than a postage stamp.

- E.

Comment

Well, that's not true. What they show is representative of what you'll recieve, not EXACTLY what you will get. The fact that they don't show every model in every color or paint scheme/graphics might be displeasing to you, but it's just not realistic to do.

Then again, with guitars, what you see in person won't look the same as a photographed guitars. Flash alters colors considerably, and combine that with improperly calibrated monitors, there's just too many variables to consider to make a "true" representation.

If you want a good idea of colors and options they offer, browse through their number of pictured guitars, go to web sites like www.guitarxpress.com and browse their stock and "sold" items, as well as look at the Gallery here.

It shouldn't be too hard to find what you're looking for.

But to answer your question, Ivory is just that... If you've ever seen Ivory, it's an off-white, meaning there is some yellowness, if only slight, where Snow White is like a pure white.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Easyrider7467:
                DO a search for NAMM. Someone had pics posted of the ivory and snow white RR model next to each other. I just receved an RR1 2 months ago in Snow White, and I can tell you there is a huge diffence in color. I have seen Ivory up close as well on an RR5. The SW is super white (beautiful) and the ivory is, say, white that has oxidized over the years (for lack of a better decription). Which incidently, may very very very slowly occur to SW. But it will take years for this to happen - years. Also do a search with my member number because a member posted a pic of their white RR1 for me then. Sorry, I dont havea pic yet to post but whne I do it will be sent to the gallery. Hope this helps.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">not having much luck with that.

all I want is a picture of a snow white RR1 and an Ivory RR1.

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                  not having much luck with that.

all I want is a picture of a snow white RR1 and an Ivory RR1.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, whenever my daughter says she wants something, I tell her "people in hell want ice water, but that doesn't mean they get it." [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just bustin' your chops. Xeno's right; ivory is yellowish white, snow white is just plain white.

When photographing, I am guessing you would need very controlled light, and need to take pictures of the two guitars in that exact same light, to see the difference. Two photos taken by different people under different lighting conditions will not be a good representation.

But hey - there may be some decent pictures out there somewhere, so I hope you can track some down.

For what it's worth, I am a snow-white kind of guy. I don't quite understand it when I read descriptions of vintage guitars that say "the white finish has aged to a beautiful creme color." Ack. I consider the "aging" to be "yellowing", ergo, "faded". Not interested.

But, that's just me.

- E.

Comment

it doesn't look like somebody pee'd on it does it? THe ivory. I"m asking because...I'm heavily considering putting some money down on one in teh near future.

Comment

snow white (with pearl):

ivory:

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ivory, aka Vintage White to Fender [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think that Snow White looks pretty sweet!

Comment

thanks sully, you dah man. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Pearl White, 18 years old, not a RR1 though [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Jackson1, long time no see. Where have you been? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X