Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New EVH Charvels

http://www.evh-guitars.com/

Just starting a new thread for further discussion, as the one from the old Board has been lost to the distortion in the time-space continuum. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Rumored: Bidding will start at $5,150. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Re: New EVH Charvels

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
    [QB] The thing that I find funny is all the people surprised with the negativity. If these exact same guitars were made by ESP or some other company or some dude on Ebay and cost what these will, with inaccurate specs and lame graphics you would be all over them bashing them. You would never accept them for the prices that they will sell at. I was a huge EVH fan and was stoked when the rumors started to spread about a possible Charvel EVH guitar. All EVH had to do was give them permission to make authentic replicas and it would have been huge for Charvel. They could have charged 25th Anniv type money (which many of you bitched at, ) and still sell huge amounts of them. They could do what Fender does and make a very accurate repro for high $$$ like the SRV guitar, and them a "custom shop" production model like the normal SRV. EVH isn't what he once was. He is becoming a pathetic alcoholic and it hurts me to see him this way. I have seen many boots of the recent concerts and am horrified at his playing. It is just unprofessional. I don't need to spend that kind of money to have him in this state striping, what in any other instance, would be mediocre guitars to sell for huge money. It is like this concert, existing to milk what fans he has left. Unless a quality production line happens, I would rather have a GMW or a Doc. I can appreciate wanted it because of EVH, but a GMW would do the same for me. It would represent a tribute to a once mighty hero. At least Fender was able to pull something off with him. Perhaps this was the only way he would do it. I find this worse than Mustaine auctioning off his personal guitars, or Vai's DNA model; both of which took much **** on this forum. Anyway, that is just my opinion...and I am way dissapointed. I was so looking forward to these. I mean for what they will most likely go for wouldn't you rather have an original? [/QB]
    I just copy n pasted this from the old thread.
    Sums up my feelings pretty well.

Comment

Yep this seems like a desperate way to cash in and knowing the limited quantity they will all be sold at any price I'm betting just because the EVH name.

I would think getting a standard custom shop Charvel and doing the striping yourself would be well worth saving a few $k's. Then again the do-it-yourself jobs are often seen as fakes as they pass them off as originals, so I wouldn't expect to do this to try to re-sell if thats a plan.

Comment

Bummer that we lost the thread on this after the upgrade.
        I for one think it is great for Charvel and the fans of Charvel Stratheads and fans of Eddie Van Halen. I don't care if they cost a billion dollars, its all good. My guuess is that they will start between $5000-$7500 and go up from there. Although I could afford one of these I'm not one who can justify it when I can fork 1000-1200 over to GMW and get pretty much the same thing sans Eddie masking. By the way I also think that is cool as hell too, c'mon Eddie **** Van Halen's doing these himself. If I were a VH nut I'd probably want one even if I didn't play guitar.

The only thing that I find odd is the distribution method of the "most" available via eBay auction store. I wish they didn't throw the Harley in the mix because that will inflate the cost of the auctioned guitars, people bidding crazy money to get the Harley and guitar, I'd hate to be the second place bidder in that one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What it boils down to folks whether you are sobbing or happy is that it is another step in the right direction with FMIC and Charvel building a Strat head Charvel that we all love. Yeah the 25 anniversary's werent exact but each step they get better. I for one and glad to see this guitar and I really don't get into the VH stripes thingy. Maybe in 2005 I can find an $900 B&W Charvel production Strat head at Gutar Centers across the country [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

If it's in Guitar Center they'd better keep it in a hermetically sealed box away from all the drooling kids. Last thing I would want to see is a 13 year old kid banging out Nirvana riffs on one of these axes. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh my God, he really is making them in his living-room. I thought that was a joke. Actually, it is kind of cool. He must have had a lot of free time on his hands.

Comment

Ooops, I didn't log in. I kind of like the user name 'Anonymous'.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Oh my God, he really is making them in his living-room. I thought that was a joke. Actually, it is kind of cool. He must have had a lot of free time on his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. Looks to me like Eddie's just taping the stripes on, so they can be sent back to the custom shop for final painting, assembly, etc.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  If it's in Guitar Center they'd better keep it in a hermetically sealed box away from all the drooling kids. Last thing I would want to see is a 13 year old kid banging out Nirvana riffs on one of these axes. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even **** kid about that. Nirvana licks on a regular Charvel is **** frightening enough, but Nirvana licks on something created by Eddie is just a horrible, horrible thought. What am I saying, Nirvana licks on anything **** blows.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Note to self...

See about adding "Nirvana" to the swear filters on the JCF.

Just reading that name ellicits thoughts of nails being scraped across a blackboard.

Comment

I find it interesting that these guitars are being built by Charvel even though his endorsement with Peavey appears to be in full force. If they were being built by Peavey, his die hard fans would probably still pay a huge amount of money for the guitars so why have Charvel build them?

If he leaves Peavey and signs on with Charvel, they probably won't do a production Van Halen model because it would take away fom the value of these Art Series guitars. So, what's the point of Charvel building these at all?
                      Wierd...

Matt
                      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

+1 for adding Nirvana to the swear filter.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          If he leaves Peavey and signs on with Charvel, they probably won't do a production Van Halen model because it would take away fom the value of these Art Series guitars. So, what's the point of Charvel building these at all?
                          Wierd...Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is simply to make money and to put the Charvel name out there and give people a great guitar. The laws of supply and demand as well as name recognition should make this an good limited edition.

Comment

[pure speculation]

Matt - Lots of possible reasons but it's probably safe to assume that the Peavey deal is among the walking dead at this point.

Rumor was that Ed was pretty ticked off with EBMM's continued sale of his sig model under the new name Axis after that deal ended. Further rumor was that as a result Ed really locked down the details of his deal with Peavey such that they probably won't be able to offer anything like a Wolfgang if he leaves. It makes sense to me that the next step in his evolution would be to brand his own guitars through his own outlet ala the new evh-guitars web site.

Or FMIC might be throwing Ed a bone in recognition of the fact that he's really going to drive Charvel sales but doing so in a way that skirts their normal royalty structure for other artists. It looks like FMIC is doing the work while Ed (for these particular models anyway) is acting as the sole distributor via his evh-guitars site. The fact that a player as big as FMIC would spin up a deal as unusual as this tells you everything you need to know about how they perceive Ed's value to the Charvel brand (i.e., it's off the charts).

Even if you stop right there with Ed striping his 90 guitars and dealing them himself, and even if FMIC were to kick in all of the parts and labor for them gratis, it'd still be a hellishly effective (and probably extremely cost-effective) marketing campaign for Charvel. I mean if there's a better way for a guitar company to get exposure for a brand than having Ed set up a web site with pics of him at home striping up a few for sale I don't know what it would be. You have to stop & think about what Ed's involvement did for the perception of Peavey in the marketplace. Think your average 16 year old kid in Guitar Center can name a single Peavey model aside from the Wolfgang? Me either. Whether or not there's a production EVH Charvel this is going to sell a lot of guitars for FMIC due to the association alone. And if there's a production EVH Charvel on the way (my guess is that there is) this just becomes that much more brilliant: working around established royalty structures so as not to piss off other endorsees, letting Ed make a bit of extra cash, allowing buyers everywhere to infer the death or his deal with Peavey & his new deal with FMIC, informing most of the guitar playing public of this w/o spending a dime on advertising, attaching the biggest name there is in terms of selling guitars to a brand that's essentially a clean slate right now which allows FMIC to drive Charvel in whatever direction they want to take it (and those dramatically overpriced limited edition runs we've seen so far are probably a solid indication of where it's headed), etc. Brilliant I tell you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/pure speculation]
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

bout time...

Comment

Working...
                              X