Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laser cut sticker and clearcoat vs. expensive airbrush paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser cut sticker and clearcoat vs. expensive airbrush paint job?

I have a mate that works at a graphics store and he can make me a laser cut sticker of nearly any graphics that I bring him.

I'd like to have my Model 2 done ala Frankenstein (think Phil Collen's Bella Lugosi guitar)

He tells me that given the extremely thin sticker material he uses as well as the fact that I will have it clearcoated, it will be a very pro and durable job for pennies compared to an airbrushed job. He will charge me around $20 for the sticker work and another mate that paints cars will shoot the clearcoat after work free of charge. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any comments as I do not have the funds for an airbrushed job

Re: Laser cut sticker and clearcoat vs. expensive airbrush paint job?

i'd go for it or maybe buy a cheap body to try it on first.
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy:
      i'd go for it or maybe buy a cheap body to try it on first.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think that this is sound advice. It sounds like it would work, but I would try it first on a test body. I wouldn't want to experiment on one of my "good ones".
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Testing first is ALWAYS sound advice.However,if you don't have a test body,see if you can get a small sample of the same sticker paper you're going to use,slap it on a small piece of wood and have your friend spray clear to test it for compatibility.If that works,then I would say go for it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And post pix when it's done too,other people (myself included) would be interested to see how it turns out.Good luck!

Comment

one thing that i'd be careful/nervous about is the clear eating the sticker, or dissolving the ink on it. sounds like you could have a great resource on your hands if it goes well....

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yeah talk about side jobs...

hell yeah, you'd have a pretty good clientell right here.

hope it all goes well.

~JW
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Get some Krylon Krystal Clear spray-on clearcoat to seal the ink on the sticker. That should keep the ink from running and probably won't erode the sticker itself.
              Then again, if it's a high-quality printing shop, you probably won't have any such issues as the dye/ink is not just on top of the paper like a household printer, but is a permanent part of the paper.
              Still, as was said before, do a test on the paper he'll be using to see if it will do anything negative.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would think there wouldn't be any problems at all as long as he's going to use a poly clear coat. Please post pics of the results.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

If you wanted to slightly shift gears and go with a material finish, Kinko's can print ANY graphic of any size on their iron-on transfer material.

Just a thought.
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                  X