Limited Edition Jackson help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Limited Edition Jackson help?

Ahh, I thought I was loosing it, that makes sense now. And yes it is MOP as far as I know, and it is a rosewood board. It plays like a dream.

TC

Comment

The suspense is killing me!! What is this model [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

It could be Brazilian Rosewood, which is what mine is (the Archtop above), but without that in official print, it's only a guess.
        here's a closeup of mine, compare.

As far as the model/year/serial/series ... that sounds like it may be difficult. Most people would agree that the a serial starting with 91### would be a '91, but that may not be completely accurate.

Here's a Limited '90 but it's obvious this isn't it lol check out that headstock! (from the Jackson site archive - disappointed the captions that were with each pic before Fender are now gone)
        [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Not even sure the 12th fret says limited.

Best guess? '90 or '92, but can 't rule out '91, altho all prints from '91 have no reference to it. Who has the 90-91 Guitar Buyer's Guide? Mine is listed only in the 91-92 one and this blue one is not in that or 92-93.

But thats all I've ever seen (a strathead Charvel Limited '90, the Archtop Soloist Limited '91, and an unknown Limited Rhoads from semi-recent ebay

Anyone care to dig thru ebay completed in hopes of finding the Rhoads (wasn't it?) semi-recently that had the same 12th fret marker? Toss it in the mix? lol

Comment

Haha, my bad (forget there is more than one Ebay), I coulda had everyone browsin for Rhoads till end of time (it's in Europe)

It is a USA neckthru Rhoads with full text 'Limited Edition 1990' on the 12th, which is what I bet is what the Charvel one says (It looks busy as if more text.)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=3707120420

So, I'd bet it is not a '90, mebbe a '91 or '92, the search continues eh?
          BTW, it took me prob 9 months of casual browsing to find all information on mine

One resource may be Kevin Easton at the banner-ad atop. He may shed a few clues as to the use of the 12th fret 'Limited' plaques. Until then, thats all I have...

Comment

What's even more funny tho is everyone is focused on 'what it is' instead of the real problem you are having.

Hey guys! Jackson Active Pickups! The Circuit Board! what were the model designations of available active pickups? LMAO

BTW, I can't help much with specifically that because I've never owned a guitar that came to me with active Jackson pickups. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but that issue I'm sure can be easily remedied.

Go EMG! lol

Comment

As far as I've learnt from my more knowledgable bros here at the JCF, the only active pups Jackson used in production guitars were Reflex pickups (?). Those were offered as an option in the early 90's. If the pickups are labelled "Jackson", it's probably just the usual passive pups, but with an active booster added to the circuit.

The "Limited" thing has me stumped. Could it be a special order for a dealer or something?

'bane

Comment

Hey audiophile I just sent you an email with a pic of my fretboard. Bye the way, it is funny that the discussion has switched from the pickups to the model, but I am having fun with all of this. As far as the pickups go, I am pretty sure that they are active. If they were passive I thought that they would work without the battery, but they don't. If there is no battery, there is no sound. I may be wrong but that would mean they are active I think? I have been reading some posts about pickups and a couple of people mentioned that their circuit board had dip switches and other controls, mine does not. Only a bunch of caps and some resistors.

Thanks
                TC

Comment

Those are passive pickups that can be wired if you remove the gain boost circuit.

With the preamp, you need the battery or the signal path is eliminated.

Put in a completely dead battery, and you'll still be able to hear the guitar, but it will sound like crap. Remove the battery, that's like cutting the lead to the pickup.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

that makes sense, so if I were to re-wire these to run in passive mode, they would sound like crap? Right?

Comment

I wouldn't think they'd sound like complete crap, as long as the circuit board is completely removed as well, but that I dunno.

I think givin pickup selections today, a lot of people just replace any stock pickup with choice (Duncan, EMG, Dimarzio etc...)

Still tho, more ppl will surely swing by with more on hand knowledge.

Just like car stereos, the factory stereo is sufficient until you've experienced an aftermarket model. The quality of aftermarket is focused on the components task, whereas stock is a cost cutter component made to just work good enough.

Well, seems to have a lil more red in it which leans toward the normal rosewood. But I'm never convinced till I see like an official ad or document or hear someone else confidently say it is normal rosewood. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My guess would be that it is regular rose wood on the fretboard, and as far as the pickups go, I would like to keep the stock pickups in if I can get them sounding good again. But if all else fails it will have 3 EMG's in it. Hopefully I can get the stock pickups working properly soon. I just got a Boss GT6 effects unit last week so I am pretty eager to get things running good again.

Thanks
                        TC

Comment

hey audiophile, what is the history behind the strathead ltd 1990? was is sold outside the US? i dont remember it.

Comment

Those were a limited run for non-US markets, and generally fetch $1000-$1500 when you can find them here.

The specifics were mentioned once on the ezboard, but I don't remember.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

ya know, I'm not entirely sure now because the one in the Jackson archives, the file is named LTD1990.jpg, but the one in the gallery has an Ontario plate with a '91 serial #, and referred to as a 1991 European limited edition (25 made). If only the owner would pop up, he'd be better informed about it. Guess one could email him to stop by? I think this is him.
                              http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...ile;u=00001096

So we have a '90 or '91 US Charvel strathead, a '90 US Jackson Rhoads, a '91 import Jackson Archtop, and possibly a '91 import Jackson dinky.

[ February 28, 2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: audiophile ]

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of this guitar. I think I have the same model.

My serial number is 911280

Link to pics:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                                Last edited by calrc; 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X