Help me find a Jackson please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a Jackson please!!!

Hello everyone, my first post here. I'm a big fan of Jacksons, but I'm having a tough time, finding one for myself. Here is what I want:

I basically wanna play metal, hopefully really fast, so I think I would need a thin neck, which would also be good for chords(some very thin necks start cramping the hand, over long chord playing... I heard [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ). I'm also looking for a 24 fret, Floyd Rose, and hopefully a H/S/H set up. As if this is not enough, I only have about $300 to spend(my first electric) and I'm a LEFTY. I know most of you by now have pressed your back buttons, saying that this guy is talking impossible here. I'm also interested in the Japanese DK2, which I can save up for, but feel a bit uneasy with that H/S/S set up. I heard that H/S/H provides a great vareity of sound, is good for metal, and has more of an output, than the H/S/S set up. Either, correct me on this issue, or suggest me of a Jackson guitar, if this guitar actually exists! Finally, I have found the Ibanez RG470, 570, or 1570 to fit my specs. Their Wizard II neck is also said to be one of the fastest in the world. However, since I prefer Jackson, please let me know, if I can get me a Jackson, or the Ibanez would do fine, and fill in for Jackson.

Sorry my first post is so annoying, but the thing is that I'm really desperate! Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Help me find a Jackson please!!!

I'd say search EBay for a Jackson PS-4. it's got basically what you're looking for.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

You can also look for a JDR-94, although finding a lefty one might be difficult. I think it has a basswood body too, so it would sound a bit different than the "typical" Jackson guitar (which has a poplar or alder body).

Here's a picture of one:
      http://www.noteworks.com/images/guitars/g5422.jpg

'bane

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I think it will be ages before I find these guitars on Ebay.

Anyway, got any pieces of advice or any input, regarding what I had heard about the H/S/S set ups? Also, will the H/S/S set fulfill my requirement for playing metal, with high outputs? Finally, if anyone else has more suggestions for me, please post them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fragger:
          Anyway, got any pieces of advice or any input, regarding what I had heard about the H/S/S set ups?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm...singlecoils are not my forte - and I've found all the versatility I need in dual humbuckers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There are singlecoil-sized humbuckers you can put in a singlecoil slot - those will give you a tone that is somewhere in-between a humbucker and a singlecoil. That's about all I know about those halflings of pickups. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also, will the H/S/S set fulfill my requirement for playing metal, with high outputs? Finally, if anyone else has more suggestions for me, please post them. Thanks!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The most important pickup is your bridge pickup. This is what you probably will end up using for rhythm playing and most of the leads. When you're using neck/middle pups for clean passages, output isn't as imperative, IMO. Most Jacksons come with a fairly high output humbucker in the bridge position, and a more quiet one at the neck. However, some people like to use the neck pickup for some leads, in which case a higher output will help.

Secondly, if you get a low-level Jackson and it still has its stock pickups, they will pretty much suck regardless (the same goes for Ibanez though). So, whichever guitar you end up getting, add a pickup swap to your list of costs (unless they're replaced already). I'd recommend getting a distortion class humbucker for the bridge position and hold off changing the others until you have figured out if you really need to replace them.

'bane

Comment

Thanks for the info bro. However, I still have some questions:

1. How are the necks of the guitars suggested above?

2. Also, how will they compare to the Ibanezs I mentioned in my original post? In terms of sound and the neck.

3. Have you have ever seen a high input distorted audio, with the aid of the Jackson H/S/S configuration, possibly the DK2?

4. Can you reommend me of the places to the find the guitars mentioned aboxe, other than Ebay.

Thanks! The rest of you, please add your opinions. Thanks again!

Comment

Here is how you compare Ibanez guitars to Jackson guitars:
              |
              |
              |
              |
              |
              |
              |
              You don't! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jackson DK2 is what you need. An awesome guitar for little money.
              Click the link at the top of this page to go to Easton guitars, Kevin is an awesome guy.
              Or, since your a lefty, southpaw.net carries DK2's. You might want to see if they have one of the discontinued DK3's which have the H-S-H pickup configuration.
              Brian

[ March 01, 2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: BTB007 ]

Comment

left handers have trouble finding guitars

Comment

im righty tho

Comment

Guys, those are all pretty hard to find guitars. The only lefty that I could find that is a Jackson, is the DK2. So, could you guys reommend me of any single-coil sized humbuckers that are good for metal. I wanna know some, so I could read some posts, and start to consider the DK2s.

Also, isn't there another place to have a good chance in getting these guitars, that is, other than the DK2s?

Finally, could you guys please compare the Ibanezs I listed to the lower level Jacksons reommended earlier? I also happen to love the Jacksons, but for the sake of making my life easier, would you guys compare them anyway? As I said, I would like to play metal, and need a guitar for shredding. Thanks all!

Comment

Guys, those are all pretty hard to find guitars. The only lefty that I could find that is a Jackson, is the DK2. So, could you guys reommend me of any single-coil sized humbuckers that are good for metal. I wanna know some, so I could read some posts, and start to consider the DK2s.

Also, isn't there another place to have a good chance in getting these guitars, that is, other than the DK2s?

Finally, could you guys please compare the Ibanezs I listed to the lower level Jacksons reommended earlier? I also happen to love the Jacksons, but for the sake of making my life easier, would you guys compare them anyway? As I said, I would like to play metal, and need a guitar for shredding. Thanks all!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm lefty. The only lower line that they are selling is the DK2. They may have stuff from the past on ebay but that comes by once in a while.

I would assume that if you're playing metal you wouldn't want to use your single coil positions. The bridge pickup would be your pickup of choice.

The only Ibanhad that I would consider is the 1570 which like the DK2. They are both Japanese. the Wizard 2 neck sucks and feels nothing like the wizards from the early nineties. The DK2 will be better choice. I thought I saw one @ easton guitars, southpaw has some too. I bet that easton would have a better price.

Here's another one...
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I don't think that the Ibanez 1570 has the Wizard II neck, it has the Prestige neck. Have you heard of those?

Also, would you consider putting single-coil sized pickups in the DK2, to help me gain the pickup I need? If so, please suggest some, so that I may start researching on them.

I still believe that Ibanez is not getting a fair review here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . So, if anyone has more to add, please do so. Finally, if more sources of the guitars recommended above are mentioned here, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Comment

Gotta be brutally honest here, Fragger: $300 ain't gonna get you a lefty Jackson, especially a DK2. Save up.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I can't disagree. However, I don't even want a DK2 as my first choice. That H/S/S set up is not sitting well with me, unless some of you could assure its performance in high output metal, or maybe suggest me some of the the single-coild sized humbuckers.

Also, please do not forget further comments on the Ibanez and the rest of the Jacksons. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I don't think that the Ibanez 1570 has the Wizard II neck, it has the Prestige neck. Have you heard of those?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I heard that the Ibanez 1570 is basically a 470 that is now built in the same factory as the Prestige. I think that it comes with better hardware than the 470. I haven't played one but I had an rg 680 That I got directly from Japan that would have been an 800.00 guitar here in the states. It had killer pickups, a nice lo pro edge trem. They stuck a crappy wizard II on there and didn't feel very nice. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

For pickups I had the duncan minis on a strat and I liked them... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X