Ebony board.....mostly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony board.....mostly

Has anybody seen an Ebony board before that has a large unfinished streak running down it? I just picked up my factory new BCSB SL2H and the board has an unfinished streak running from the 6th to the 11th fret. I have never seen that before. Has anybody else?

Re: Ebony board.....mostly

Streaked ebony isn't all that uncommon wood-wise. I've seen a few boards like that, but not on a Jackson.

Comment

tis a beauty mark [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Streaked? Clear Streaked ebony? My RR1 has. What's general opinion on that?

Comment

Whaddya mean "unfinished"? There's no finish/clearcoat on the boards.

I had one that looked like it had been repaired, as there was a matted-looking streak in the middle I assumed was from a split repair.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Whaddya mean "unfinished"? There's no finish/clearcoat on the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's not always true. The board on my chlorine SL2H has been stained. Got it new from OSG. Pre-FMIC. Probably done with something like this .

Comment

Ebony is not naturally pure black. It is usually stained to eliminate the natural colorations.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Interesting.
                Weak, but interesting [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Now you know that you can base your guitar-buying decision on the TONAL QUALITIES of your rosewood/ebony fretboard rather than its appearance, because you can dye both to look pitch black anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Saw a faded SG special with an ebony board that had a brown/orange streak in it.
                    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Now you know that you can base your guitar-buying decision on the TONAL QUALITIES of your rosewood/ebony fretboard rather than its appearance, because you can dye both to look pitch black anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yea...I was just a little surprised that this came straight from the factory with the streak in it. I am assuming that the wood just wouldn't take the dye because it is a large enough streak that I would guess they would have caught it during inspection.

BTW, I was going to post pictures but photobucket is down for upgrade.

Comment

Any pitch black ebony you see has been dyed that way. There are also two main types of Ebony commonly used on guitar fretboards. Common GABBON Ebony, which makes up about 90% of the fretboards you see...and the other is MACASSAR Ebony, which is very light and tends to have a lot of figuring in it...similar in appearance to dark LACEWOOD. Used mainy on real exclusive custom pieces. Gabbon ebony is actually on the lighter side color-wise with lots of flaws/veins/etc.

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I was just a little surprised that this came straight from the factory with the streak in it. I am assuming that the wood just wouldn't take the dye because it is a large enough streak that I would guess they would have caught it during inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Why surprised? Like has been said, ebony is not always a dark, uniform color. It's perfectly fine and should go through inspection no problem. I guess sometimes they dye them darker, other times they don't.
                          I've seen a few Carvins with ebony boards that had streaks. With Carvin, though, if you specify you want a board without streaks, they'll make sure you get one. Either way, not really a big deal... just think of it as its own personal identification, like a birthmark, different from everyone else.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Why surprised? Like has been said, ebony is not always a dark, uniform color. It's perfectly fine and should go through inspection no problem. I guess sometimes they dye them darker, other times they don't.
                            I've seen a few Carvins with ebony boards that had streaks. With Carvin, though, if you specify you want a board without streaks, they'll make sure you get one. Either way, not really a big deal... just think of it as its own personal identification, like a birthmark, different from everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to admit that yes, I was less than 100% thrilled to see that when I opened the case, but I am warming up to her "Beauty mark" quite a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            Now, for the important stuff. She sounds and feels great!
                            [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            And she still looks pretty damn good too. If I were the type to name guitars I guess this one would be Cindy. (as in Crawford) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's a pic for you:

Above: Stained board. You can see that the pores in the wood are filled with the stain and thus really black. No dirt goes into the pores and the board stays uniformly colored.

Below: Unstained board. The color is much less uniform and the pores are usually filled with dirt not easy to remove.

Comment

Working...
                              X